“Good value”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Very nice mainly fish, seafood restaurant. Looks like it would be expensive but is very reasonable. Good service, good food. A little noisey as there was a large birthday party and the acoustics aren't great

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I had wanted to try one of the Loch Fyne restaurants so was really pleased to experience it on Easter Sunday . It didn't disappoint . I had the freshest most beautifully cooked Sea Bass from their special board Delicious The rest of the party of 4 enjoyed their choices . There were an excessive number of staff all very friendly and attentive all with welcoming smiles Very efficient .
We will definitely go back again , great location close to Canford Cliffs for a walk afterwards.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was our first experience of a LF restaurant, but it definitely won't be our last. Shame there isn't one a little closer to home!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

There’s a table at the back of Loch Fyne which has a clear view into the kitchen, which is a good and interesting place to sit. It’s also a bad place to sit because it exposes a seriously sad and disappointing weakness: too many orders and too few staff in a relatively tiny space - the kitchen, that is - not the restaurant.

We four stayed at The Haven, which is the marvellously kitsch hotel overlooking the Bournemouth - Swanage Ferry, right at the end of Sandbanks, and just a few minutes from Loch Fyne which, in turn, was a highly anticipated treat.

On a Monday evening in March we were surprised to find that be couldn’t make an online booking at Loch Fyne at a reasonable time because they were full, but a phone call quickly fixed that and a friendly voice gave us a table - the one near the kitchen. So there’s a tip: don’t rely on web bookings.

Loch Fyne is a very large restaurant and the staff are extremely efficient and friendly - but they don’t stand an earthly chance of getting everything right: there are too few of them and too many tables, not all of which were full, which is just as well. It could have been worse!

Watching the half dozen staff in the kitchen and the waiting staff in front of us, everyone was flat out like a camel drinking - and it showed in the quality of the end result.

I ordered Scottish Rope-Grown Mussels in a white wine, cream and shallot sauce as a starter - which arrived ahead of the drinks we had ordered 10 minutes earlier than our food order. They grow them tough in Scotland, many of the mussels clinging on to their rope as their shells were removed and served to me, on top of a small portion of very thin sauce in which I could detect no flavour at all. I have no doubt it was there because this is Loch Fyne, but the chefs were far too busy to stir the pot and spread it around.

My main course was entitled “Fish and Chips in a traditional batter”. Traditional? I don’t think so. Whilst the batter was acceptable, it won’t win any awards and the line-caught haddock inside was the smallest portion I have seen for some time. Perhaps the fisherman had a bad rod day?

To be fair to the restaurant, my three companions enjoyed their meals, and this review expresses my opinion alone. Perhaps if I were more likely to order more fishy dishes, rather than fish and chips, I might have found everything more satisfying.

I think, therefore, that it would be unfair to mark down my rating based on my standards alone, but be prepared to wait, and don’t create an expectation in your mind based solely on reputation. Then you won’t be disappointed.

The following day we returned home, and guess what we had for dinner? Fish & Chips from the Friday Bridge Fish Bar. Wonderful! What a shame they don’t have any tables.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We visited with friends to celebrate a birthday. Our table was booked for 7pm and the restaurant was already full (sadly with some noisy children and poorly skilled parents).
We sat by the kitchen so we could watch the chefs prepare the food. The menu was extensive and it was seriously difficult to decide what to have. Our choices included pickled herrings, deep fried squid and smoked salmon . The herrings were absolutely stunning, soft to eat with a beautifully balanced pickled flavour.
Our main courses included lobster, fish and chips and hake with samphire. I chose the hake, a fish I have not had that often. The presentation was clean and fresh, the fish cooked to perfection and served with a delicious hollandaise sauce, salty samphire and twice cooked chips. Every mouthful was an absolute joy! My fellow diners were similarly impressed with their choices.
Dessert offered more problems as there were so many tempting choices. I had the rhubarb and custard cheesecake which was subtle and light as a feather, two of our party had the cheese option and another had the creme brûlée. Finishing this off with coffee, we all resolved to come here again.
It would be easy to spend a lot here especially as the extensive wine menu makes marrying food and drink an added bonus.
Our waiter was attentive and good humoured and all staff were clearly working hard to ensure that all diners had an excellent experience. The only suggestion I would make is to have a no children area as the delicious food was somewhat drowned out occasionally.
This was an excellent meal, we will return again.