“Excellent staff”

Cuisines: South American, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have now visited this restaurant twice this week, first for the Sunday car very, then midweek lunch. On Sunday we arrived at the restaurant at 3pm and the restaurant was just over half full. For starters we had carrot soup and prawn cocktail. The soup was homemade and tasted delicious and the prawn cocktail was just as it should be with no scrimping on the prawns. We were a bit worried that there wouldn't be much of the carvery left, but we needn't have been concerned as there were plenty of fresh vegetables, and the meats, beef, pork and turkey, were cooked just right. The servings were more than adequate. The only thing missing was the Yorkshire puddings, but the chef told us not to worry and went and cooked some fresh ones and brought them to our table. For desserts, we had a huge apple crumble and custard, full of spice, and very tasty and a chocolate brownie, which was lovely and light. During the week we went with friends with the intention of having the pulled pork and the belly pork We were disappointed that both of these were off the menu, but we opted for the roast dinners , chicken in peri peri sauce and the sausages. We had quite a long wait, but when the meals arrived, none of us were disappointed, with good helpings of tasty food.
On both occasions though, we must say that the staff were excellent, and made our visits very enjoyable. They were polite and attentive, and had time to make conversation. We would definitely recommend the restaurant to our friends and encourage people to visit, if not for the excellent food, then the unusual feature of staff who made pleasant conversation and seemed to care about their customers.

There are newer reviews for The Hog House

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have rated this as a 1 and that is for the food only which was very good. That I cannot fault.
The rest of the evening turned out to be the evening from hell and I will never go back.
Went there as a party of 3 on Saturday 15th February. One of us being a 14 year old girl.
The welcome we received was lovely and we were seated and served well apart from the odd hitch as 2 of the waitresses were new that night and got a couple of things wrong. But we didn't complain about this as it wasn't a big deal to us. When our evening came to an end, I visited the loo and on returning noticed the people on the table behind us were causing a scene very loudly. My friend told me that they were unhappy because all there orders weren't taken at the same time. There were 6people in the group. 3 couples in their late fifties. The head waiter was trying to placate them even though they were incredibly rude and made the 2waitresses cry. Apart from the kitchen staff there were no other staff on the premises and everyone had to wait while this was being sorted out. The head waiter put these very rude people before everyone else in the restaurant even when they finished their bottle of wine and other drinks, refused to pay for them and then walked out!!!!! Incredible. They were very rude to me as well as they realised we were watching what was going on which resulted in an altercation between us. At no point did the head waiter defend me when I was being insulted. I got the impression that because these people had money they were treated differently as if they were special. The difference is that they walked out without paying and we paid for our meal with no apology or checking if we were ok after being verbally abused.
I returned the next day to see the manager or owner and was confronted by a guy who used to be there when it was the Gurka. He thanked me for my actions the night before and for sticking up for them so did the head waiter. Don't know if they were genuine or not.i certainly didn't feel it. I don't expect this place to last unless they treat their customers differently realising which ones are important. The rich and ignorant who walk away from paying or the geniune who pay and don't complain.
I would never set foot in this place again but this is a personal experience which I hope no one else ever has to go through.
Message to the Hog House is that if you want to succeed and make money, treat your customers right. Not many customers will tell their friends about a good experience but they will tell about a bad one and be assured that I will spread this to who ever will listen!!!!!!
People I have told so far won't set foot in your restaurant.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I visited with family for a birthday on a Saturday night.
Firstly we were disappointed as having looked at the menu on the internet and thought that it looked great we were not advised when we booked that this was no longer the menu and a very limited menu had replaced it.
It was quite surprising that between 7 and 9pm on a Saturday night we were the only people in the restaurant and whilst staff were friendly and attentive they managed to get a number of orders incorrect - pretty poor with only 11 of us to serve.
That said we were all in agreement that the food was good.
A real shame about the limited menu and incorrect orders which tarnished what could have been a good meal/evening.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful roast.. great new re-furb. Lovely atmosphere. Good service. Value for money!! Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stumbled across this little gem with the intension of eating at one of the larger restaurants on the quay. The Sunday roast carvery menu looked reasonably priced from the display board outside and as our party consisted of 4 adults and 4 children under 3, we were happy to see other families inside.

It's a long time since i i've been greeted so warmly in a restaurant. The service was excellent and very accommodating. I'm a very particular eater and found the food and wine would not be out of place in a top restaurant.

Although they didn't have a children's menu for the Sunday, and my son only likes a few things, this was no problem to them and they offered him an alternative, to his delight.

3 LARGE Courses for 5 people including a bottle of wine , a couple of ciders and 2 children's meals came to £96.

Will visit again on our next visit. Some people deserve to be successful!!!!

1  Thank Hannah W