“Stunning place - Don't miss out!”
Review of Brownsea Island

and up
Return Jurassic Coast Cruise to Swanage from Poole
Ranked #1 of 59 things to do in Poole
More attraction details
Owner description: Former private island complete with castle built by Henry VIII is now a wildlife sanctuary containing one of the last red squirrel colonies in Britain.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Stunning place - Don't miss out!”
Reviewed May 27, 2008

What a beautiful place.

we just came back from Dorset but this was our first trip to Brownsea island and what a treat.

It is idyllic, a paradise and yes we did see a red squirrel.

Our children loved walking around and seeing all the different bird species.

It is well worth the visit. Don't miss out!

rita

• Polish first
Mexico
“A must for any scout, or an adventurous heart”
Reviewed April 11, 2008

I can still remember that august morning back in 2007, i woke up picked up my tent in Chelmsford and i hop on the coach heading to Brownsea.

Took a cople of hours to get there, but my first impresion as the bus passed by Poole was what a great sight, all kind of boats were sitting on sand cause of the lowtied.

As soon as got of the bus i stood on the pier willing just to dive into the harbor and take a swim to the Island. I was rather ansius since this was a moment i was waiting for a long time. Its ovious since i been in the scout movement for a couple years now and has become a way of life and in that island everithing started.

So i finally got on the ferrie and crossed to the island .

It was actually more than i spected. The first thing i went to see was the Conmemorative Stone , 100 years up to that day the stone remeber. it was a very emotional moment.

But far from the scouting idea of going to the island, i found it quite a peacefull an enjoiable place.

whith great sights and good picnic spots

I would recomend it to everyone, my only regret is having such a little time to be there. barely spent 2 hours

Birmingham, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We think we saw a red squirrel!”
Reviewed May 29, 2007

What a lovely place!

After busing from Bournemouth to the severely salubrious Sandbanks we hopped on to a little ferry to take us to the Island.

A scenic and real estate educational trip through the harbour was followed by a display of peafowl, when we reached the picnic area.

I cannot say with sincere certainty, but for the benefit of all who read this and not my conscience... I am delighted that we saw a red squirrel.

Highly recommended and necesary re-tox of nature!