“Lovely caravan, great location”

Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #2 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Poole
Farnham Common, United Kingdom
“Lovely caravan, great location”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed at 6 The Oaks in a private caravan. Was perfect - new van, spotless, very comfortable and well furnished. Would definitely go back again. The locatoon was great too - visited Poole, Bournemouth and Boscombe, but need to come back for longer next time!

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank MrsSefton
Rockley P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
It was lovely to read your comments, I was glad to see that the accommodation lived up to your expectations, and that you would visit the park again in the future.
If we can be of any help here at Rockley park reception for any future booking please don’t hesitate to contact myself at natasha.wearn@bourne-leisure.co.uk or call the park on 01202 679393.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,
Natasha Wearn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
london uk
Reviewed November 27, 2013

First impression was good staff were fantastic and quick on check in but we was out of season (stayed 14-21 of September) so really shouldn't expect less, on walking in our van was ok but we re cleaned parts of it inc cutlery and floors as it was obvious it hadn't been touched and during our stay witnessed cleaning staff spending no more than 20 minutes in the van next door. mash and barrel (where you get breakfast or meals at lunchtime or evening as well a bar drinks) breakfast was ok'ish but sometimes after waiting in line at the bar to order your food then sitting down for 10 minutes they come and tell you we don't have this or that it's a bit of a let down however breakfast is ok. For lunch or dinner I would (and did after trying theirs) go elsewhere, the food when delivered in no way matches the menu description and as patrons encountered many others who was either dissatisfied with the wait or quality of the food served. The food/bar service is another gripe we found ourselves waiting in line to either get a drink or food from a bar that is at least 25feet long being served 1 at a time (boy am I glad I wasn't here in the height of the season as I would have gone nuts) I did express my opinion to the staff but got the usual it's out of season so we don't have many staff (my point to haven is you didn't mind charging me x amount to stay at your camp and if I wanted to buy a holiday home at this site there was plenty of staff to run me around in golf buggies to try and sell me a van so why don't you have the staff to serve me a drink or cook me a decent meal? if you had the latter I may be inclined to purchase) gripe over now the praise, this camp has a huge amount of activities for kids that go on through the day and into the evening and I can honestly say the staff work their butts off to bring nothing but fun and entertainment for children and for that they are faultless. If you are a family with young children I would say yes stay here but if in high season sorry I would say look elsewhere as I don't think they can cope

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ShaneLondonUk
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding the reception team here at Rockley Park; we do try and get our guests settled in their accommodation as quickly as possible so that they can get on with relaxing and enjoying their holiday break.
I was sorry to read that the accommodation was not up to your expectations or at a standard that we would have expected, of course this should have been rectified before you arrived but please let me assure you that had you made us aware of the issues you found within the holiday home here at reception we would have been more than happy to have arranged for the house keeping team to re-attend the accommodation to put these things right.
With regards to the lack of stock which we had at the time you visited our Mash and Barrel, we do try to ensure that we do have a full stock of products available at all times; we seem to have let you down on this occasion and I can only apologise for this. I have also spoken with the Managers of the venue about this; the restaurant is currently closed until the Park re-opens next year however we have reinforced the importance of the team who are taking orders having all stock information to hand so that they can accurately advise customers prior to confirming the order and taking payment if any items are not available as requested.
We do reduce the team numbers slightly after the Peak summer season is over and we move into the Autumn season, however this is only on line with the reduced guest numbers and should not be resulting in long queues or waiting times for customers. Again, this has been discussed and recorded for rota planning for next year’s season – I’m so sorry if you found this to be frustrating, and not to the service level you would expect.
It was lovely to hear of your great experiences with the sports and leisure and the entertainments team; they are so passionate about what they do and feedback such as yours is fantastic for them to seem, so thank you so much.
I do hope that the issues that you encountered would not stop you from visiting the park again in the future. If I can be of any further help or you would like to discuss your comments further please do not hesitate to contact me at natasha.wearn@bourne-leisure.co.uk or call me at the park on 01202 679393, and I will be happy to help

Kind regards,

Mitcheldean, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The walks and scenery around the park are lovely, Stayed for a weekend in a privately owned caravan (Bay Hollow 27). The caravan was absolutely immaculate and very modern, with everything in you could want, A typical Haven holiday camp, have stayed at many and can never really fault them. Helpful staff, clean and tidy. Is well located for Poole. excellent owners in Mark and Caroline at first steps holiday homes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Philthemitch
Rockley P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback, it was fantastic to hear that you had a great stay here at Rockley Park. We are very lucky at Rockley Park as we do have stunning views and the local area has lots of activities to participate in. I see that you stayed in one of our owners privately rented accommodations for the duration of your holiday; it was great to hear that it lived up to your expectations.
We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just about to return home from a three night break and the whole stay was fine - I have been to a few Haven parks and you usually get what you pay for. We had paid full price for a Prestige caravan - we didn't do any promotions - and were pleasantly surprised on arrival to find that we had been upgraded to a Platinum caravan in Rockley Vale. Suffice to say it was a 2013 model and superb - well furnished, ensuite to master bedroom and plenty of heating and hot water. It was also spotlessly clean. No complaints whatsoever and would definitely consider a Platinum caravan next time. Great customer service from someone called Hayley(?) on arrival.

On the theme of customer service though it is variable - some staff are first class but some really let the park down. The server at the fish and chip restaurant was fantastic, attentive and had a smile on her face. Likewise I was pleasantly surprised to find someone cleaning the toilets in the showbar in the evening - they were again spotless - and he seemed cheerful. Massive thumbs down though to the Mash and Barrel - what an embarrassment this place is to the park. Poor service, bad attitudes and a slightly greasy / unclean feel to the place. One example - I approached someone topping up sauce bottles with asking what soup of the day is. "no idea - on a board at the bar" was the response. Suffice to say there was no board at the bar as I already had looked. "Well you'll need to ask at the bar then". I then had to queue for five minutes just to find out what soup of the day was - how ridiculous. Given this guy was literally a few metres from the bar do you not think he could have found out what it was - although he should really have known what it was anyway. The barman, when I eventually got to order after another ten minute wait, also seemed to have take some sort of personality bypass - eye contact not a strong point clearly and neither was conversation. Also had to chase cutlery after being assured it was on its way. If there was a choice in the matter I wouldn't have gone back to this place - customers seem to be treated with contempt. The lady who served at the pizza takeaway also seemed to have issues - I observed her being overly brusque and abrupt with several customers. There seems to be some training issues on what great customer service is.

Entertainment was fine - yes it is lower budget but then what do people expect? I think the entertainment is good value and my daughter loved it. The entertainments staff worked hard I thought. Must admit the whole parade around the room thing got a bit tiresome though. I found the DJ guy had great enthusiasm - reminded me of Timmy Mallett!

Swimming pool was clean but it is small given the size of the park - it was especially crowded as understandably the outdoor pool was closed. Water a bit chilly for my liking and not enough lockers or showers.

My last gripe: I know it is end of season but . . . the stock shortages in the showbar, shops and restaurant were ridiculous. No soft drinks apart from cordial at the bar. No snacks for children at the bars nor for adults for that matter. No real ale and some lagers were off aswell. Several menu items off in the Mash and Barrel too. The shelves in the Spa 'convenience store' looked reminiscent of something from the Soviet era - bare - again no confectionery or soft drinks! Also coffee shop didn't open at all for the entire stay. Haven - I felt this was really poor. I wasn't paying a reduced price because it was end of season and I feel people should be warned before they arrive of the policy of winding down menu times and stock.

Overall a very good stay but Haven managed to score some inexcusable own goals at the same time. I would visit this park again but would need to get a really good deal to tempt me back.

Room Tip: I agree with a previous poster: try and go for the best caravan grade you can afford especially in c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HantsGlobetrotter
Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback regarding your recent visit to Rockley Park; I was very pleased to see that overall you had a great time.
I was really disappointed to read of the poor service you encountered at our Mash & Barrel restaurant and Papa John’s store. We do pride ourselves at Rockley Park for our customer service, and I am disappointed if this was not apparent at all times and in all venues.
I was glad to see Hayley and another team member in our Harbourside restaurant did provide a high level of service; and I will be sharing this feedback with them. It was also nice to read that you had enjoyed the entertainment and admired Chris’s (The DJ) enthusiasm!
I do apologise for the lack of stock which we had at the time you holidayed; as you say we were near to the end of the holiday season however this was not an primarily an intentional running down of stock. Towards the end of the season we do naturally hold lower stocks of less popular items, however we would wish to be fully stocked on such high demand items as soft drinks, bar snacks and lagers in particular. The orders for this weekend were placed in line with the actual sales of items on the same weekend last year plus a small increase, however sales over the weekend were dramatically higher than at the same time last year resulting in us running out of certain popular products. We did arrange an emergency top-up order but even this was used far more quickly than expected resulting in several lines being sold out. I really am sorry if this had a negative effect on your holiday enjoyment; please be assured that we would not intentionally provide any less for guests coming to stay later in the season.
I do hope that your disappointment over these points would not deter you from coming back to us again in the future when I would hope that you would have a much better all-round experience with us; if I can be of any assistance with this or any other matter then please contact me directly at the Park on 01202 679393 or via email at natasha.wearn@bourne-leisure.co.uk and I will be happy to help

Verwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We just got back we stayed tue til sat in the touring part of the site ,so we brought our own caravan.my children loved the swimming pool it has two big slides and a splash zone. My daughter who is five had great fun in the entertainment she loved the characters. It has a really good arcade too. I would recommend this park to young families

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank stargi
Thank you for your lovely review regarding your recent stay at Rockley Park; I’m so pleased you had such a good time with us, and I’m glad your daughter enjoyed the swimming pool and entertainment. We really are proud of our new facilities and the lovely new look and feel to the Park; hopefully over the next few years there will be more new facilities for you to enjoy, so I hope you will become a regular guest to the Park.
If we can be of any assistance with a future booking then please do give us a call at the Park direct on 01202 679393 and we will be happy to help
We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Surrey, England
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband, 3 year old daughter and I have just returned from a 4 night midweek stay at Rockley Park.
The caravan was lovely - a deluxe 2013 Summer House (which was in good condition), albeit a bit cold, (but we took a fan heater - so it wasn't really a problem!) We were near to the train line but it didn't disturb us.
Our entertainment passes were included and we were looking forward to using them.
Unfortunately we were really disappointed due to the following reasons -

1. The clubhouse was really small - it WAS half-term, but if you arrived any later than 6 o'clock there were no seats or tables left. We ended up standing at the bar area 3/4 nights.
2. Too much time taken up with getting the children to parade round the room before forming a queue to have their photos taken with whichever Haven character was flavour of the day.
3.The entertainment was really repetitive, seemed tired (and boring) - it was the same structure every night, with far too much loud shouting (especially from the DJ who was on stage from about 7.30 onwards and seemed to love the sound of his own voice).
4. The blue/yellow thing went on too long.
5. Hardly any opportunities for the younger children to dance.
6. Each night my daughter was bored by about 7.45pm and wanted to go back to the caravan

Haven, if you are listening...it would have been nicer to have some family orientated shows that would allow all ages to be entertained
EG - magic show, juggler, boy/girl band takeoffs etc etc. (whilst I appreciate that there was a Gary Barlowe takeoff whilst we were there I am assuming that many families were not able to see it as it was on at 10pm) - very late for a 3 year old!
Alternatively some fun activities could have been organised that involved the parents (always fun for the children to see).

Daytime activities were also very limited and seemed very low budget - EG Imagine with Anxious; (if you have been, you will know what I mean!)

We really felt that the entertainment was a waste of time (and not good value for money)

Room Tip: Get the best grade caravan that you can afford - take a fan heater if you only have a fire in the li...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback regarding your recent visit to Rockley Park; I was very pleased to see that overall you had a great time with us, but I was sorry to read of your disappointment with the entertainments venue and schedule.

We always try to take account of our guest’s comments and concerns and make the relevant changes where possible to ensure our guests enjoy their stay. I have forwarded your feedback onto our head office team who put all the entertainment packages together for all the parks, so that they can incorporate this within their planning for next year.

Again I am sorry for any stress/disappointment experienced. We want our guests to enjoy their holidays with us and in the main we succeed, with thousands of families returning to us year on year – I do apologise if you felt that this had a detrimental effect on your holiday enjoyment. We do appreciate your feedback and we hope that you will continue to visit us for your breaks over the coming years.

If you would like to discuss this any further please contact me at the park on 01202 679393 or via email at natasha.wearn@bourne-leisure.co.uk and I will be happy to help.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked this holiday for a weekend break with extended family (4 adults 3 children 1 caravan!) - checking in was fine, caravan was good and clean (few issues but nothing to complain about!) Friday we ate in the fish and chip restaurant - service was very slow but food was good, albeit maybe slightly expensive. Saturday morning there was enough hot water for one person to have a shower, we had to boil the kettle just to wash up! Saturday we ate in the Mash & Barrel - having read reviews on here about the service/food - we went with an open mind but it wasn't too bad, it was busy and service was about right, although the portion of chips that came with the trio if burgers was a kids portion at best despite being an adult meal!
Entertainment was good, kids loved it. Sunday, still no hot water! we decided to go swimming first thing Sunday (pool opens 9.30) - entrance to the pool is through mash and barrel and you have to queue next to people who are trying to eat their breakfast, not really pleasant on either count. Then when you get in to the changing area, this is very small, maybe a dozen changing cubicles at best, meaning you have to stand around for ages before you can get changed - not too bad when you are going, but after you have been swimming, you are stood round for ages just waiting to get changed. The pool itself, while nice (strange that the slide is in the middle of the pool, so you lose part of the swimming area) was very cold, my 1 year old could only stay in for about 15-20 minutes before she started shivering and her lips went blue (she did like the splash area, probably as the water was so warm). The tower leading up to the flume is freezing with paint peeling off all the walls and just left on the floor, not the best! We spoke to reception about the water, they said they would send someone round and within about 15 minutes a man turned up and said that the system needed descaling (though this would have been something that should be done regularly anyway) he said he would come back, and by Monday we had enough hot water for all of us to have a shower! Monday, we decided to have breakfast in the mash and barrel before leaving, we got in just before 9, were third in the queue to order yet service was so slow, then when we got our breakfast it was dry (bacon was almost like rubber) and not very nice. While I would come back to this site again as there are more positives than negatives, the negatives (as highlighted in this review) are relative minor points and can easily be rectified (maybe with the exception of the changing room as that needs a major overhaul in my opinion) if someone just took the time to look at these points they can be dealt with quickly (if someone from Rockley park wants to contact me am more than happy to discuss this with them!). The weekend we stayed was 25-28 October so the weekend of the 'great storm' and to their credit there was no disruption on the park and no sign of anything out of place (other than lots of leaves everywhere which was being dealt with)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank vickimac2013
Rockley P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent break at Rockley Park; I was so pleased to see that overall you had a very enjoyable stay with us, but I would also like to thank you for highlighting those areas where you felt there was some room for improvement – this is really helpful to us in making adjustments and changes to improve the quality of service and facilities we provide.

I’ve spoken to our Pools Manager and he has told me that on the morning you visited the swimming pool, there had actually been an issue with the boiler overnight and the water had not been maintained to the correct temperature. This was highlighted early in the morning and action taken to get the water back to the usual temperature; when the pool opened at 9:30 it was only a couple of degrees below the usual maintained temperature, however I do appreciate that this can feel quite a considerable difference. Re the changing area; as you say this is not something that can be quickly or easily changed, however this is something that we are looking at having some major investment in over the next couple of years to enlarge and improve the changing facilities.

We do have very high levels of limescale here in Poole – we tend to find that our kettles need descaling on a regular basis, as do appliances such as boilers. We do carry this out on a regular basis, but it is possible for the boiler to scale quicker in some holiday homes than others as there are many varying factors; I was pleased to see that once this was reported to us our engineer was able to descale the boiler and restore your hot water supply.

I have also discussed the points mentioned re the Mash and Barrel and Harbourside restaurants with the Complex Manager so that he can look into these in a little more depth.

Unfortunately I am not able to get any contact details for you from this review so I cannot get in touch with you directly, but if you wanted to add anything to the above or just simply have a chat with me about the various points then it would be lovely to hear from you; you can contact me either at natasha.wearn@bourne-leisure.co.uk or by telephone on 01202 679393.

I look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully seeing you again in the future.