“Lovely area, building, excellent staff and great food. Great package”
Review of Hotel du Vin Poole

Hotel du Vin Poole
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Very pleasant front of house staff, always willing to help and please. The room was comfortable and cleaned very thoroughly. Great facilities in room.
Restaurant for breakfast was very pleasant but seems to excel in it's evening meals more so. Had an excellent evening meal on Valentine's day with superb personal service from Graeme and Alice. Many restaurants should learn from their efforts and standards.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel du Vin in Poole last Friday evening. The building is stunning. It was a wonderful experience from the moment we stepped into the very impressive entrance hall. Nothing was too much trouble for the very friendly, efficient staff. We had booked a superior double room which was beautiful, spotlessly clean and spacious. I can honestly say that I have never slept in a more comfortable hotel bed. Later in the evening, after returning from a concert, we went downstairs to the bar and bistro for cocktails. Again, the staff were great and very helpful. Breakfast the following morning was also first class. This was our first stay at a hotel in this group and we will definitely try some of the others. Thank you very much for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night on the spur of the moment and also had a meal in the bistro.This is a classy act as you would expect from the Hotel du Vin group. Previous reviewers have identified many of the good points we also experienced: beautiful building, well appointed rooms fitted with everything you could need, helpful and friendly staff, great atmosphere in the bar and bistro, great food. And great to find somewhere happy to take a one night booking at the weekend. Our niggles were as follows: tables for two in the bistro were so close together you couldn't help but engage with your neighbours, we waited a long time from ordering our meal to the first course arriving and service at breakfast was disorganised. But really these are small things compared to the overall experience. Would defintiely recommend and return.

1  Thank HappyCamper09
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Poole is a relatively small town and this hotel is a lovely place to stay that is near the water. The hotel has a cute wine theme with rooms named after wine regions and vineyards and decor that is a mix of wine themed items and English comfort. The hotel lobby features a gorgeous chandelier made of wine bottles - I'd love this for my own home! The rooms are spacious with simple, elegant furnishings including a Nespresso maker which unfortunately I didn't get to use but loved having the option to if I wished. The bed was very comfortable and the room had all the necessary accoutrements -- desk, plenty of outlets for laptops, smart phones, etc., hair dryer, iron/board which is rather uncommon to find in many European hotels and a spacious closet. The bathroom was good sized with a heated towel rack and plenty of fluffy towels. The hotel has a very cozy lounge with wood paneling, fire place and plenty of club chairs and settees. The hotel restaurant is very delicious. I had a business dinner there one night and we all really enjoyed the food. I had a quick breakfast there one morning and although I only ate cereal, the buffet looked really good. The only downside to the hotel is no fitness center but you are close to the water and could walk/run along there for your exercise. If I come to Poole again, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This stay was planned as a luxurious, relaxing break for our anniversary.

Instead of using our gift voucher towards a lavish meal in the local Edinburgh hotel (which I know is great), we thought we’d try somewhere we had both never been and we were really interested to see the winter special offer including accommodation and a meal (breakfast not included).

Overall, I’d say the hotel was fine but there were a number of things that took the shine off what I had anticipated would have been a special weekend so I was disappointed.

Negative aspects.
We had been up since 5.30 am and arrived about lunchtime but couldn’t check into our room until after 3 pm.
The room was accessed by going through the hotel and then going outside through the terrace and through the carpark (as there was work being done to the roof). It was January and it was very cold and raining and it wasn’t well lit and the surface was uneven so you had to be careful to check where you were walking in the dark.
The stairs to the room were a little steep and shallow and there was no lift – I don’t think anyone with a little less mobility would have liked this.
Because there was work being done on the roof, there was some debris left beside the outside door to our corridor, which looked scruffy.
The outside door had been left ajar and the corridor and metal door handles were Freezing cold.
There was air conditioning in the room and we put this up to the maximum 32 but the room didn’t seem to heat up at all and the room was Very uncomfortably cold – I wonder if the L shaped layout of the room & position of the unit meant that the heat possibly rose and hit off the large beam on the celling and therefore stayed in the one small area beside the door rather than warming the whole space?
As it is an old building, the windows were single glazed which didn’t help the retention of any heat.
One of the panes of glass was badly cracked and had not been replaced just covered with some kind of tape.
There was a notice to be careful of the hot water so I thought I’d take a nice bath to try and warm up. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get any decent temperature at all and the water was horribly, unpleasantly tepid. When I reported this to reception said they were aware of this issue. The pipework/ cistern was noisy for a while.
There was a towel rail in the bathroom so I thought I’d have a cosy towel at Least! but unfortunately the taps to control it were simply resting ontop of the pipes and didn’t seem connected at all, so no warmth there either!
There was a small blood stain on the white duvet on the bed, which was rather unpleasant.
I would have liked to have relaxed with an after dinner drink in the snug area but this was reserved for a function so we were a bit squashed in the bar with lots of guest waiting to be seated for dinner.

On the positive side
The room was nicely presented and there was decent floor space and a large, comfortable kingsized bed.
I liked the décor, quality furnishings and an Nespresso machine with fresh milk.
There was a well-stocked (but pricey) minibar which we didn’t use as we had planned ahead and brought our own provisions.
There was a good selection of magazines.
The food and drink selection in the bistro was excellent and the quality of the food was great although I was defeated by the portion size. As it was just after Burns night, I opted for the Haggis and I was amused at the misspelling on the menu -“tattey”!
I have a hearing loss and the acoustics in the bistro were very good which meant that although it was busy, I could easily and comfortably have a conversation.
The staff seemed genuinely warm and pleasant. I particularly liked the balance of the service between the staff being attentive without being overbearing. It wasn’t pretentious and I felt relaxed.
When we went to the bistro, the restaurant manager asked if everything was ok with our room and when I explained about the very cold temperature, she very helpfully said she would get someone to take a look. I was very pleased when we went back that someone had brought up a heater and there was now more warmth so I could have a more comfortable sleep. Perhaps we could have complained further and moved rooms but my partner said he didn’t want to cause any more fuss and it would have been more of a hassle to repack and then unpack again and after all that would the new room have been any warmer?
Breakfast was pricey and the portion looked small on the large sized plate but I enjoyed it all the same.
The hotel was well located not too far from the train station and near the water.

Room Tip: try and get a room in the hotel rather than in the annex or take a hot water bottle and warm clothes...
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Have stayed at several Hotel Du Vin hotels, this one didn't disappoint. Stayed for two nights in a garden room. Everything you expect from HDV, massive bed with beautiful high thread count linen, big bathroom with under floor heating, robes and great rainfall shower with miller harris comp. toiletries. Public areas are as you would expect, sleek, comfortable and very easy on the eye. Prices are steep at the bar and mini bar but we always stock up at the local supermarket ahead of time for room drinks. The dining room is intimate and beautifully decorated with views to the kitchen, staff were super helpful and very knowledgable. Location is excellent within easy walking distance to the town, plenty of parking and valet parking available (£10). Will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joanne g
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Romantic indulgence. Not cheap but a real spoil yourselves moment without having to leave. Check in, indulge in the facilities, bring some bubbles then eat and go back to spilling yourselves. A great couples break ;)