“Another great stay, but I wish.....”
Review of Sandbanks Hotel

Sandbanks Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

This is my second visit & I will come back again. It's location is set on the most beautiful beach where if you get great weather you feel abroad. I personally had excellent & quick service at the terrace bar on all occasions, the lads serving especially the one chap who spoke very well provided excellent customer service. The food I ordered was great & I also tried the warmed scones with clotted cream/jam - excellent.
There was a young chap I believe to be the manager on reception who was most helpful.
I kind of understand some of the reviews & my only wish for the hotel is that they have a right good refurb done. A bit of paint & new carpet here & there doesn't really help when you are a top star hotel charging top rate prices. All the carpets need changing, all the door frames need painting/replaced not just the skirting boards.The ceiling tiles in the bathrooms need changing, the shower head needed a better clean, the head itself was floppy/broke & housekeeping need to check small detail such as 'stray pubic hairs' in bathroom. If you use the tray items, they should be fully stocked for the next day. Housekeeping surely should have a check list for all rooms & notify the hotel of any repairs required before the customer spots them. Check dirty glasses with wine delivered in room, mine had 2 shades of lipstick on it, & not mine! & generally dirty glasses. I have to be honest & say if it wasn't for the beach location/terrace/sea view rooms you would not pay the prices. To help you I would ask for either a sea view room or a refurbished room, harbour view also would be nice I can imagine with the beautiful evening sunsets, before you book (ask if the scaffolding is still up so you are not disappointed as it will obstruct your view) they should be honest & advise this before you book just as you are advised should you go abroad so that is naughty of them.
The lounge area is lovely & there is always somewhere to sit, breakfast service great & plenty of choice, lovely coffee.
As I say I will come back, it has a lovely relaxed feeling & you can potter around as you wish. I just hope one day they do find the money or whatever the reason may be, management, time etc, to give it a proper refurbishment not a half hearted one & I truly believe they would get more business out of the summer season, I know I would return then & not just the summer if it were.
Sandbanks itself doesn't have much to offer in amenities, Tesco's Express, cafe jazz by the hotel, cafe shore restaurant at the end of the road but there is plenty to do out & about/visit if you have a car.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank SET908
Write a ReviewReviews (1,809)

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Stay at Sandbanks hotel for 3 nights. Room was good size, wonderful harbour views and very clean.
Balcony was a great space to enjoy a drink and watch the world go by. My husband and I had many drinks and experienced some wonderful sunsets.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Just spent 2 nights at this hotel that seems to of had quite a lot of BAD reviews - yes they are modernizing rooms as i speak and this is on going throughout the hotel (workmen on site) - we stayed in room 316 one word - SUPERB - staff very helpful - great location - best tip upgrade to seaview on top floor and i thought i was ABROAD (weather helps but hey i'm not GOD lol) breakfast was excellent with a very warm welcome EVERY morning off the brekkie manager - a Spanish out of work ART teacher cleaned our room - MADE ME FEEL HUMBLE - YES NEEDS A LICK OF PAINT HERE AND THERE but they are trying .... give it a go ??

Room Tip: 309-316 - BEST ROOMS .....these are on the top floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michael F
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Let's be honest, this hotel is always going to be popular due to its absolutely fantastic location right on Sandbanks Beach and I have to confess I've stayed here in the past and always overlooked all it's little foibles because I love the area. However I really feel the hotel management are relying too much on the location to please the customers and not trying very hard to wow us with any level of service !
My husband had arranged this trip as a birthday treat for me and when he phoned to book ( several weeks previously ) , he specifically requested a room on the third floor with a sea view . No problem, he was assured - there was a suitable room available so he paid up front in full. However when we arrived, we had been allocated a room on the ground floor . Of course he queried this and was told actual rooms cannot be allocated in advance, only the standard of room. In fact he was told this about three times in the same tone of voice, every time he tried to explain that the lady he had spoken to when booking had told him he was paying for a third floor room ! We were understandably disappointed and asked what could be done to rectify this and were told to go and take a seat in the bar while she spoke to a manager. When we were asked to return to reception, she just started to say " your room is in the second floor ..... " at no point did she apologise or explain why we couldn't have a third floor room, or even mention the fact that quite clearly ground floor OR second floor is NOT a third floor room ! By then we had resigned ourselves to just accepting what we were offered and trundled off to find our room.
Anyone who has stayed at The Sandbanks Hotel will know that some of the rooms and corridors can only at best bed described as "tired" so we were not surprised to find a room with a grubby carpet and stained ceiling tiles. It was clean and the bathroom was also clean, plus we had a little dressing room off the bedroom so they were all positives. The balcony overlooked the beach club terrace , which is a lovely relatively new addition to the hotel and of course beautiful Sandbanks beach. The balcony handrails could really do with a wipe over with a damp cloth ( covered with cobwebs etc ) but perhaps I'm being over picky ? ( but at £180 per night perhaps I'm not ?! )
The staff are mostly young and inexperienced and you could literally die of thirst while standing at the beach club bar - they just tend to ignore you !
The breakfast buffet is great and the maître d is a delight - always welcoming and had a word for everyone .

It's a grand old dame of a hotel and I am prepared to over look so many things because of this plus the location cannot be bettered - we had glorious weather too, so really how could we not have a good time but I really feel that so many things could be better with just a little more attention. They are having improvements done - another thing that was not mentioned at all, either when my husband booked or during the less than ideal check in experience! Drilling and sanding, hammering and scaffolding could ruin a holiday so perhaps it would be an idea to be honest when people are booking .
Unfortunately I don't believe the management bother to read any trip advisor reviews ( I've not seen any responses on this site ) and after all is said and done - why do they need to ? As I freely admit the location is fantastic and that will continue to sell it to so many customers - and very probably me again ! I just think its a bit of a shame that it could be so much better

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MXG2106
Reviewed June 24, 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect with direct access to the beach. A lovely terraced area is a great place to spend quality time overlooking the sea. However this is a very busy and noisy hotel and our weekend was spoilt by the refurbishment that was taking place along the corridors and to the exterior of our sea view rooms. Scaffolding (which we were not advised about prior to our booking) detracted from what should have been a beautiful view. We did complain but little notice was taken. The constant noise from the children's playground at the foot of the balcony was also a letdown. The balcony itself was dated and didn't make you feel like you wanted to spend time sitting on it. The room was spacious and comfortable with a good sized well equipped bathroom. The cleaning lady was very polite and helpful. We could have done with a fridge in the room and were advised we could have had one for a charge! The facilities were good and there was a good variety of choices for breakfast. The staff were helpful if a little disorganised and confused, managing to give us the wrong bill at the end of our stay. Overall disappointing for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Don't get e sea view room with the children's playground area just below you balcony if you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DWToggy
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Sandbanks Hotel is in an idyllic location. The beach directly in front of the hotel is glorious - I forgot England had such wonderful beaches to offer. It helped that we stayed over on a sunny day.

We were a last minute booking, having stopped over at Poole unexpectedly and had no plans.

The service was very pleasant behind reception, on the terrace and at breakfast. The breakfast was good, though nothing special. the food on the Terrace likewise. the views make up for it though, so the overall experience was memorable (in a good way).

The rooms were less so. Large enough, but tired and a bit dated. The bed was reasonably comfy.
The shower was quite powerful but the shower head kept drooping, so that was a pain.

There was a lot of painting and touching up going on inside (strange time to do this - a busy, hot weekend), but I hope they go a step further and replace the stained carpets (and the awful pictures on the walls).

So, would I go back?

On balance, it was a pleasant stay and I wouldn't mind staying again, but I'd probably want to check out the competition.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GeraintLT
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We spent two nights at Sandbanks hotel as my cousin was getting married in Branksome Dene. from the moment we arrived we felt welcome and at home, my four year old daughter was thrilled to find not only her own bed, but the towels had been arranged on it for her like a crab and there was a kids activity set for her. Very thoughtful.

Great view of the sea and the bar below our room wasn't too noisy, very comfortable bed and a good buffet breakfast with lots of options including continental and full English. Staff were always very friendly and attentive and the food was good, we ate in the restaurant on the beach a couple of times. Beach immediately in front of the hotel was also perfect.

We had a swim in the pool - generous size for a hotel pool and very clean.

Not too posh, lovely personal hotel - a bit dated in places but it helped it to feel like a bit of vintage seaside glamour.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview on the beach side
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family