Haven Hotel
Travelocity
$144
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Viewpoint Guest House(Poole)(Great Value!)
$81
$87
PremierInn.com
$154
1,659 results
All reviewschain ferrysea viewpoint restaurantsteam roomoutdoor poolspa areawatching the boatsamazing locationpoole harbourold harry rocksleisure facilitiespublic areasbrownsea islandfantastic viewsbit datedsister hotelbuffet style
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The Hotel is in a great location. Unfortunately they are unable to provide hot water in the most expensive room in the hotel. We had no hot water for the two days we stayed here. Two different excuses were given...the first was that the water was cold because too many people had taken a shower at the same time. When the problem went into the second day the excuse changed to be blamed on a faulty boiler for which they were waiting for a part. For a hotel charging the rates this one does it's a disgrace. Secondly first six and then four weeks prior to our stay I requested a table with a sea view in their La Roche restaurant - telling them that it was our 26th wedding anniversary weekend. On both occasions the response was they would do their best to find us a table. Well if the table we got was a result of them doing their best, I would hate to see what we would have got if they did their worst. To compound matters the menu on offer was extremely underwhelming and after three courses I left the restaurant still hungry. The TV in our room didn't work properly. I have had better facilities and food staying in a pub b&b. whilst the staff were friendly and attentive I am afraid from our experience the Haven Hotel struggles to get one star. What a disappointing weekend for our anniversary.

Room Tip: Ask if the hot water system works in your room!!! Also, If you want a special table at dinner in La Roche and they say they will do their best to get you one, read that response as meaning no you can't have one. If you want a filling evening meal eat out somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank ThePrisonerWokingham
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotel is in a stunning location. The restaurant, bar and many of the rooms have a very good view of the sea. Staff in the bar and restaurant were friendly and polite.

However the bedrooms were tired and not even up to Premier Inn standard. Booking for the restaurant was difficult and reception were unhelpful on one occasion. Service in the restaurant came to a halt for thirty minutes on one night as the kitchen tried to deal with a pre-booked table of twelve.

The worst part of the visit was the fact that the verbally agreed room rate was not the one on the invoice for one of the nights and we were told that the rate was obviously higher at the weekend. We left the hotel saying we would never return. Make sure you know the room rate for all nights when you check in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank edjoco
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Haven on a special deal with Secret Escapes, and much enjoyed the location, ambience and breakfast. There have been some improvements to the outside landscaping incl installation of a ramp to the terrace and bar area. This has been most successful. The staff Were friendly and attentive, and the room in reasonable condition. I'd go back on a special ad deal!

Room Tip: Try to get at least a partial sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gerda L
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I cannot imagine that there are 7 hotels in Poole rated better than The Haven!
The location must be one of the best in England. When you are in the restaurant the view is like being on board a ship.
They had heating problems during our stay and ther was no hot water in our room during the afternnons, but nothing else could be faulted. The staff could not have been more professional and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have been staying at the Haven for three weeks (weeknights only) whilst working in the local area. Overall, I have found the hotel to be 'hit and miss' and more of a three star (rather than the four star it claims to be).

During the first week, I was allocated a room in what seemed like the oldest part of the hotel: dated furniture, very creaky floorboards, black bits coming out of the taps and I could hear every movement of fellow guests in the rooms nearby. In the second week, the room appeared slightly more modern, however was miles away from the hotel entrance and freezing cold (the hotel did provide me with an electric heater after my first night). Also, the water pressure in the bathroom was non-existent and I experienced the same noise issues; more than once being woken in the night by the sound of other guests going back to their rooms / doors slamming shut.

I am now in my final week (thank goodness!!) and definitely don't intend to stay here again. Upon arrival, I found a ceiling tile had been removed in the bathroom and the room was very cold. On my first morning, there was no hot water and I had to resort to filling the bath with the kettle to wash. I mentioned this to reception before I left for work (after waiting for 15 minutes for a member of staff to arrive), though the issue still hadn't been resolved when I returned. The receptionist I spoke to in the evening 'helpfully' informed me that one of the hotel's boilers was out of action, so the lack of hot water was probably due to lots of people trying to use it at the same time. When I mentioned that the room was freezing, the response was that "the heating doesn't come on until 8pm". I was told that another room might be available to shower in in the morning, but that's not much help pre-7am when there's no one on reception! I had to resort to buying some more jumpers/slipper socks, and again the hotel provided an electric heater. Not great customer service.

Other cons:

- The room service menu is very limited, so unless you fancy fussy food in the (expensive) restaurant then you will have to make do with the local supermarket (fine in the summer, I'm sure, but not when it's cold and you want something hot- but healthy- to eat).

- The hair dryers are useless; bring your own!!

- Breakfast is not served until 7.30am, so if you need to leave earlier you will need to organise your breakfast elsewhere (this would be fine if you could book a cheaper rate without breakfast, but as it is, I have paid for over 10 breakfasts that I have not been able to eat).

- Water is not refreshed daily, so bring your own.

- A £1 'charity donation' is added onto every bill when checking out. As someone who makes regular charitable donations to a few chosen charities, this just seems a little cheeky as you have no option but to pay (unless you want to look like a Scrooge!). I have no idea what the charity is, so for all I know I could have been contributing to the staff Christmas party.

- The wifi is very slow and the signal very weak.

Pros: there is parking available and, for travel into Poole, you don't hit a lot of traffic if you leave early in the morning.

In short,The Haven is not what I would expect from a four star hotel and, given the cost per night, I have been mostly disappointed.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business