“Haven? Sure Is!”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Bath, United Kingdom
“Haven? Sure Is!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had a lovely stay for one night. Paid extra for sea view and say that this is a MUST! The view is the most fabulous, I have seen for ages. We were in room 304 which is in fact one of the rooms shown in a previous reviewers photograph. The only downside to the room is that we were too warm up there, even in February with the radiator off and the windows fully open. It wasn't till the next day that we discovered the portable fan in the cupboard. I'm not sure why this room gets so hot. Maybe it's because it is on the third floor, in the eaves. The room was comfortably furnished and well appointed.
I must mention Alan on reception. He is fairly new to the hotel, I believe. He was helpful and efficient. He answered all our queries and also got the bedside light bulb replaced almost immediately after he was told.
I think the major draw of this hotel is its location. It is literally a stone's throw from the sea and small beach.( just lean out of the window, aim carefully and throw!) If you like to hear the crash of the sea against the rocks/shore , then you won't be disappointed. Some people have mentioned the regular clunking noises of the chain ferry and this is true. However, it stops at 11.10pm during low season and in the morning I was too taken aback by the beauty of the morning sunrise over the sea, to notice the noise. Maybe I was getting used to it! I think it adds to the charm of the place actually.
Leisure facilities were great. Relaxing. We even did a few lengths of the outside pool!
Breakfast buffet excellent.
All staff friendly and extremely polite.
Would I return? MOST DEFINITELY.

Room Tip: Room away from chain ferry and regular clunking noise, if possible. Don't bother going if you wo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JewelHB
FJBHotels, Online Team at The Haven Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thanks for your comments JewelHB. Have to admit, we never get tired of the view! I'll pass your comments onto Alan as well. Look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Greek first
New Forest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Having passed by this hotel for about 45 years while crossing on the Sandbanks Ferry, my curiosity got the better of me when I saw a short-break offer. I'm glad I made the effort.

It'sa little old-fashioned, but quite cosy for a large establishment. The decor might look a little tired in places, and a bit of redecoration wouldn't go amiss, but nothing serious. I'd upgraded to a sea-view room, and it was worth it for the view. I guess in summer it would be even more interesting when there's a lot of pleasure craft going in and out of the harbour. The south-westerly gale and blizzard on the second night did provide a bit of a challenge for the window-frames!

Room was a decent size, well-furnished and bed comfortable. Floor was bit creaky, which didn't bother me but must have irritated any guests downstairs! Wifi (free!) worked ok, considering we were on the top floor, and TV was a good quality model. Bathroom was fine as well.

We didn't eat meals in the restaurant as I thought it looked a bit pricey, but breakfasts were excellent. We were so taken with the choice that we never noticed the menu on the table for food that could be cooked to order. Hard to think of anything that wasn't on offer. Restaurant has a great view over the sea. There are eating places within 15 mins walk, but being Sandbanks, the only place we know of that's reasonably-priced is the New Beehive at Canford Cliffs, and you'd probably want to drive there.

The health/spa facilities are also good. The gym is well equipped with a good range of the latest machines. The indoor pool is more for chilling out than swimming, but the outdoor pool was big and warm enough even with air temperatures of zero! (it gets uncovered for a couple of hours morning and evening). Good sauna and steam room. Helpful staff. Also, although there are memberships for non-residents, it never seemed busy.

One very minor point to note - if you're a light sleeper and don't like waking early, the chain ferry does provide a bit of a background rattle from about 7am. (But it's a very friendly sort of rattle!)

I'd happily repeat the experience (but probably only on an offer, as I'm a bit tight!)

Room Tip: The sea view rooms probably have a better view than the rooms with a balcony (and those are nearer t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments NewForesttraveller. Really pleased your curiosity got the better of you! We hope to see you soon (keep an eye on our special offers page on our website!)
Westerham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Arrived at hotel, lovely big car park. Went to reception and everything 100%. Had a fantastic room, great bar and views.

And what a fantastic restaurant and wonderful food, all 5 star!!!!! and a great price, £22.50 for 2 course, £29.50 for 3 course. The decor makes you think your on a high class liner, very nice!!

No complaints whatsoever so highly recommended.

Dennis Gull

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments dennis15. We're really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon.
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Only stayed here for 1 night and it was perfect, upgraded to a seaview room with balcony that was well worth it. Stunning views across the sea to Studland etc.. Room was lovely too. the spa area was fantastic with usual steam room, sauna etc the indoor pool was warm and had 3 jacuzzui areas there is also a seperate indoor jacuzzi, outdoors is a hottub and a good size swimming pool with plenty of beds around. The restaurant and bar are very modern and the food is really good.
Hotel is a great location for visiting all the area.
Overall a great night stay and would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: go for a seaview room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments PaulDay, Hope you come back and see us very soon!
Lot-et-Garonne, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was at this hotel for a half day meeting and was firstly unimpressed with the coffee in the pump container. Glasses were provided for water but we had to ask for the water which took a while in arriving. Lunch was good and I decided that as the coffee for the meeting was so poor, I would have a cappuccino - bad choice. It looked as though it had come from a machine as the "froth" went down very quickly. It was not very hot and was served with a very stale biscotti (I know they are meant to be quite dry but this tasted musty as well). As myself and colleague were still effectively working, I didn't bother to comment but the overall sense of my visit was that I would not come again and that had I been paying, I would most certainly have said something. Having decent coffee might not sound a big deal but I believe that a hotel which sells itself in the way that the Haven does, should be able to produce a first class coffee. The location though is fabulous but this needs to be matched with better service.

Room Tip: I didn't stay here and I wasn't paying so I can't comment on sleep quality or value.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Akasha L
Thanks for your comments Akasha L and I'm sorry you were left disappointed when you had your meeting with us. I'll pass your comments about the coffee onto our management team for them to look into. If there's anything else you'd like to discuss with us, please get in touch.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

a pleasant stay in a harbour view room.
the room was decorated well and was clean at an average level.
the heating was not warm enough and the bathroom had a heated towel rail and no further heating could do with further radiator.
the views are stunning this makes up for any shortfall.
the spa was great and warm the staff were helpful outside hot tub not working! shame.
breakfast was good and choice was plenty.
the staff were very good and helpful.
we stayed on a voucher and i would not be to happy if we had paid full price having said that
we still paid £25 per night for a room with a view..........that was the highlight

Room Tip: choose a room with a view
2 Thank kevin g
Thanks for your comments Kevin G. Sorry about the problems you had with the heating. If you'd like to let us know what room you were in we'll be able to look into it.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visited this week for lunch to celebrate my wife's birthday.

As other reveiwers have said the views of the sea and the mouth of the harbour are really nice. When you sit at your table it just as if you are at sea, on a cruise. The service was very good too, adding to the illusion. The restaurant has 2 AA rosettes for 2013 and many years before, so you feel that you are in good hands, as indeed you are. The maitre d is attentive at all times and our waitress was first class. At lunch time you can eat in the bar or in the restaurant. In the restaurant they have a table d hote menu priced at either £29.50 for 3 courses or £22.50 for 2 courses. With the benefit of hindsight we would probably been ok with 2 but we couldn't resist the desserts. I think the food was all of a very good standard as were the pre lunch drinks in the bar. It was good to see the barmaid cool the inside of my glass before she presented me with my drink, a small touch perhaps but it makes all the difference.

So would I recommend The Haven for lunch? Yes I most certainly would!

We had decided to take the open top bus from Bournemouth (No. 50). Thus we were able to see our bus back, as it travelled across the harbour on the chain-link ferry, giving us plenty of time to catch it from just over the road.

1 Thank ericBournemouth
Thanks for your comments ericBournemouth. Really pleased you and your wife enjoyed your lunch with us (and a belated happy birthday to her!). You must pop back and see us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poole
Harbour Heights Hotel
Thistle Poole
#7 of 13 in Poole
Holiday Inn Express Poole
Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge

Been to The Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!