“Everyone else must have been somewhere different??”

Harbour Heights Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Dorset
“Everyone else must have been somewhere different??”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

I read all the reviews on the Harbour Height Hotel - and was not looking forward to the wedding i was attending last weekend.
All i can say is there must be 2 Harbour Heights - as the hotel i was at was amazing. The staff (yes alot were eastern europeen - i know that gets some peoples backs up) but they where faultless, the food lovely and nothing was too much trouble.
I would most definatly recommend this place!

Stayed May 2009
HotelResponsePoole, Manager at Harbour Heights Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2009
Well they say the things you do not look forward to, can be the best and Shawfire it certainly seems as though this is true of your experience. The Harbour Heights has a great reputation as a wedding venue, with our wedding organiser Beverley and her team giving 100% - or more – every single time. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit so much and of course that you are recommending us. I hope you will find another ‘excuse’ to visit us soon, perhaps for a relaxing weekend break.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2009

beautiful views that feel magical, Rooms are compact but fine. Nightmare that you have no 'do not disturb' signs and can't lock them so house keeping came in twice to all 3 rooms our friends and I stayed in. The most shocking was the rudeness of the manager and the fact that they ignored our orders, were reluctant to seat us in the restaurant despite staying the hotel and being empty. We are still reeling from how obnoxious this man was to everyone. We all decided never to return which is a shame as it is a stunning location but the main man was really that bad, the typre where you can't be bothered to complain as you know you will never return. Oh and it took 45 mins for muesli and scrambled eggs after being the first down for breakfast. Go figure (to be fair not all the waiting staff were bad)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
HotelResponsePoole, General Manager at Harbour Heights Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
Hector,
I was very sorry to learn of your recent disappointment when visiting our hotel but thank you for your frank review. I do assure you that we do read all reviews, good and bad, and take on board all comments made. I would have liked to have had an opportunity to sit down with you at the time of your stay to discuss those areas where you felt that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

As a general rule this hotel has a very strong management team presence but clearly at the time of your visit there were issues which caused your dissatisfaction. I would always advise you, in such circumstances , to ask to speak with one of our Duty Managers. Your concerns can then be dealt with at the highest level and appropriate action taken.

As holders of an “Investors in People” accreditation, earned through high standards of staff development and training, we encourage staff to be proactive and to ‘go the extra mile’ to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us. As a result we receive many positive comments regarding the friendliness, efficiency and willingness of staff at all levels. It is, therefore, particularly disappointing to receive a review such as yours .

Your may be assured however that all of the matters to which you have drawn my attention will be fully investigated and action taken as required.
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

Second 1 night stay , the first being in summer !!! 2008. Despite it being middle of winter was just as impressed as when visiting on a warm summers day. When the sun shines I doubt there is a more spectacular setting for sitting out having a drink. If anyone knows of one let me know. View from sea facing rooms is just fabulous and again a great place to sit; with the patio doors open; having a drink.
Staff very helpful, attentive and polite. Great location for the beach and a slow stroll into Canford Cliffs ( 15 mins ) with nice selection of small shops and Bistros.
This is a really relaxing place to stay and I look forward to my next visit (4 nights) in early summer.
Give it a try, you wont regret it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

We stayed here in October for one night as part of a wedding party.

Our room was nice, it had a small balcony with a table and chairs with a beautiful view of Sandbanks, the harbour and Brownsea Island. The room was a decent enough size (although maybe not as large as you'd expect for the rack-rate). Bathroom was nice enough, with a good shower and jacuzzi tub. When we arrived the room was so warm we needed to put the a/c on full blast for about an hour to cool it down - and that wasn't restricted to our room - everyone's room seemed to be tropical, as did the public areas of the hotel too. However, possibly the most disappointing thing was that it was the most uncomfortable bed i've ever had the misfortune to (try to) sleep in. It was ridiculously soft, and felt as though it could have been made out of marshmallows. Definately not good for me!

Onto the restaurant, the Harbar. We ate there the night before as well as having a meal for the wedding. I'm vegetarian and there was nothing on the menu for me. They did have a pumpkin risotto, but unfortunately that's not something i would choose. Others seemed to enjoy the fish/meat, however it appeared to be somewhat overpriced for what they received. The dessert however was very good.
For the wedding meal, the food was specifically chosen in advance but when the main course was served it was, in my and anothers' opinion, inedible. I had a mouthful of it and could eat no more. It was like eating a spoonful of table salt. Not at all pleasant, and most disappointing.
Breakfast was ok, but again overpriced.

Having said that, all of the waiting staff in the restaurant were friendly, and Beverly was lovely. Parking was ok, and when the hotel car park was full, there were spaces on the main road just out the front of the hotel.

Wouldn't neccessarily recommend staying here unless you have money to burn or can get a really good discounted rate, and wouldn't recomment the restaurant at all for vegetarians.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Bed, Heat in hotel, Food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katewcdf
Cambridge, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

We only stayed here for one night as guests at a wedding reception held at the hotel. I'm pleased we had a reduced price (£99 per person per night) however I still think this was overpriced for what you got. We were informed it was one of the best hotels in Poole so we were disappointed. The facade was dreary. There was limited car parking. The reception was drab and lacked wow factor. The lift was out of order and no-one offered to help us with our luggage so it was just as well it was only a couple of overnight bags.

Our room had a harbour view fortunately and was of a good standard however it was on the small side. Nice and clean. The bed was much too soft for our tastes (also commented by other wedding guests incidentally). The mini bar was empty (just as well I suppose!) athough complimentary mineral water was available. We treated ourselves to a cup of tea in the lounge as we didn't discover the facilities hidden away in one of the cupboards until it was too late. The lounge area has good seaviews however the furnishings in some areas are a little tired. Not what I would expect for this standard of hotel frankly.

The food was however in the main quite good although we only ate at the Wedding breakfast and the 'normal' breakfast. The cooked breakfast was fine although I thought the scrambled eggs were rubbery. The orange juice was unfortunately made from concentrate or at least it tasted like it.

On the whole, our stay was fine and rooms were furnished to a high standard however the overall experience was disappointing.

• Liked — Seaview at night
  • Disliked — Overall appearance and lack of hospitality
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pernickety
Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

A boutique hotel with a difference, is how I would rate the Harbour Heights. The first thing you notice is the spectacular view from the terrace, and all credit has to go to the design of the hotel for maximising the view from all locations. Having held my wedding at this hotel I have seen many of the rooms and the stadard of them is very high, the hotels cleanliness is top class, I'm always impressed when I see people dusting skirting boards, and I can honestly say I couldn't find any dust in the rooms something I always look for as an indication as to the standards house keeping uphold. In my opinion rooms on the second floor are the best as the third floor rooms are smaller as the are in the roof of the hotel saying this they are still good size rooms. The beds are incredibly comfortable and those duvets well let me take one home, they are to die for, word of caution the pillows are fairly dire, this is my only complaint, I don't understand why they are so bad? Another review mentions the restaurant being full on a saturday night, the food is AMAZING and this is known locally, so on a friday and saturday booking is essential, the food is the main reason we booked the hotel for our wedding, as we are both big foodies, and even for a wedding of 100 the food was still up to the great standards I expect. I would say that you have to stay in a seaview room when you stay at this hotel, to me the best rooms are 104, 204, 207, and 206. I can't wait to go back to the Harbour Heights, it will remain one of my favourite hotels for many reasons.

• Liked — the food!
  • Disliked — the pillows!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank skhs
North London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

The worst good hotel we've ever visited.

HH is set back 200 metres from the Sandbanks to Poole road and offers lovely, if slightly obscured views across the harbour.

The hotel is well maintained and the food is very good and reasonably priced if you go for the £30 a head 3-course set menu. Unfortunately that's where the compliments end.

£300 bought us b&b in one of the sea facing rooms in the eaves. The dimensions are tiny and the bed was only queen sized as a king wouldn't fit. The walls were so thin we could hear our neighbours talking and when they stopped the TV cables on the roof kept us awake slapping in the wind against the roof.

But what completely ruins the guest experience at Harbour Heights is the staff. They are disorganised, surly and poorly trained:

-- When the jacuzzi wouldn't work, a member of staff said he couldn't fix it because he wasn't an engineer (nor am I which is why we asked for help!)

-- When I asked for a Vodka Martini in a cocktail glass rather than the half pint the barman was offering, his colleague refused: "Vodka Martini is a cocktail and you can only have the cocktails on our list"

-- After finishing our main course we waited over 20 mins to be offered a dessert

-- At breakfast we asked for a sea view table and were told we could not have one because it needed clearing

-- Tea and coffee didn't arrive until we finished eating breakfast and the fresh juice was in fact concentrate

-- At the next table a diner received his eggs long after his partner had finished breakfast, to which he remarked: "I didn't think they were still coming - I had given up all hope!"

-- Meanwhile the chef was shouting at the waiting staff (who were talking to customers) to come and serve the food

-- On checking out, the receptionist stopped serving me for 5 mins to take a phone call. After she hung up and I'd settled the bill, there was no enquiry as to whether we'd had a good stay. Just as well.

These points may seem trivial and probably are if Harbour Heights charged half the price it does. As it is, the hotel is tremendously over-priced, badly managed and ill-served by seemingly demoralised staff.

• Liked — Location & building
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple