“Great find, hard to beat!”

Harbour Heights Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Don't know why I've had so much trouble posting this review, since we stayed in March of this year. Maybe there is a conspiracy not to let too many people know what a great place this is, thereby reserving it as a well kept secret for those who know. We stumbled in as refugees from a nearby hotel, which hadn't passed muster, to be warmly greeted by front of house manager, Paul, who was fabulous throughout our stay. He found us a fantastic room with a large balcony and a great view of Poole harbour. We also had a flexible and favourable DBB rate. We usually like to eat out quite a bit but the food was so good that the one night we did eat out, we wished we had stayed in. The restaurant was professionally managed to an exceptionally high standard, with service being at the same time attentive but unobtrusive. Staff were friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and also the wine list, which catered for a range of taste and price range. Hubby doesn't usually go a bundle on breakfast, but this was a joy. The pancakes were especially good. The restaurant, lounge bar and terrace outside overlook the bay and we had the added bonus of march sunshine, which the outside sun trap enabled us to make the most of. The area is quite the nicest in Poole, I think and an added advantage was that we were able to use our hotel card to also sample the Sandbanks and Haven hotels, part of the select fjb chain, on the sandbanks peninsular; both lovely places to chill out. The rooms were clean, decor stylish, and the staff were unfailingly helpful hosts. This was a most relaxing stay and shouldn't be so hard to post a review about. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Front of house Manager Paul and his team appear committed only to put together the best stay for you...
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cocouche

Reviewed December 17, 2011

I took my wife to the Harbour Heights for a four day break Thursday - Sunday in November the price included breakfast, dinner and an upgrade to a sea view room. The room was large and comfortable with stunning sea views. The shower was very good and so easy to use.
We both found the food excellent although the set menu choices did not change in the four days so as an alternative we decided to choose from the a la carte menu which incurred a reasonable additional charge. The temperature in the restaurant could have been a little higher. Both these issues were brought to the attention of the manager and I have been assured they have been addressed.
All the staff were attentive and very helpful
Overall an excellent place to unwind and relax with superb beaches very close by.
We will return and soon.
Sue & Ken

Room Tip: Request a sea view.
Reviewed December 16, 2011

This is my experience only and is not necessarily indicative of hotel in general. I booked a room and additional business package as I planned to work during my stay but found that wireless access did not cover my room (304 if anyone else is planning on staying). I contacted reception and was told that a cable could be provided, unfortunately I use a Mac book with no network port therefore I was unable to work as desired, I could not use data on my mobile as the vodafone signal was not 3G but this obviously not the hotels fault. I also had some minor problems with reception finding my booking on arrival even though I had pre booked via internet, the bathrobe offered in the booking was not provided and I had to call someone in the morning to come and collect the room service breakfast ticket from my door even though it had been on the door since the previous evening. My main complaint is that If the hotel is offering a business package and charging for it the least they could do was to make sure they allocate a wireless enabled room. All in all a not very positive experience for me, I will not be staying again

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a wireless enabled room if you are on buiness
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank chris_spicer
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The room was very comfortable with a wonderful view. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, but the highlight was the fantastic food. The menu had interesting choices with the freshest ingredients all beautifully presented. Utterly Delicious!! The evening entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights at the bar was a pleasant surprise.Thanks again for the lovely and special weekend. I will certainly be returning!

Room Tip: The corner suite had great views.
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Entering the hotel we felt at home. The views are to die for, the food impeccable, the room spacious and staff attentive .Thanks to all.

1  Thank Mim S
Reviewed November 20, 2011

This was a last minute booking and and a good choice as it turned out. The hotel is about three miles from Poole but that was not a problem since a night on the town was not the aim. We had standard double room which was well decorated, very clean, and in excellent condition, plus a view westwards towards Poole although not facing the sea front. Good facilities all round (hand dryer in the bathroom and the bedroom) and perhaps the only down side was the hum from the noise air conditioning chiller units outside. Someone else had had a 'downer' on these in another review, but we just took the view it was no different to the hum you get on board a cruise ship. Thereafter not a problem and certainly not if you are away from the west side of the hotel.

The other possible downer with the west side room (2nd floor) we had was that we could hear our noisy neighbours talking late night. However, they were talking rather loudly, and when my wife had a loud fit of the giggles over what they were saying (not worth repeating and not up to reality TV either) they promptly piped down. We had a good nights sleep for all that.

Asides those two issues the hotel was in all other respects excellent. We dined in and had a very enjoyable meal off the fixed price (you can choose two or three courses) and there is a good choice of wines. A good choice on the menu and the 'la Carte' also looked tempting. Atmosphere in the lounge was relaxed and excellent bar service. The hotel staff were attentive and helpful, the only minor problem was our evening's dinner bill ended up on someone else's bill but that was sorted out. Car parking is not an issue, but you do have to enter your car details on their database at reception since they seem to have strict control of who can park there. Visitors, and diner can also check their cars in.

Overall a very pleasant hotel, in very good order, with good food and staff service. Made for a good weekend given the mild weather and walking along the Sandbanks with everyone else. We shall go back.

Room Tip: Ask to be kept away from the Taven Road side where the air conditioning units are located at ground...
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This was our 2nd visit to this hotel this year. The hotel staff are always friendly & helpful. The rooms are pleasant,comfortable and spacious .
I thought it worth mentioning that this time in particular the young lady who greeted us at reception by the name of Dimpee was extremely pleasant, very helpful and over all very cheerful, she genuinely wanted to help us as our needs on this visit was slightly different to our first and we were delighted with the results.
Overall, excellent customer service, fantastic room which had a double balcony, perfect view for all the fireworks and a relaxing, wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poole
Sandbanks Hotel
#4 of 67 in Bournemouth
Thistle Poole
Thistle Poole
#6 of 13 in Poole

Been to Harbour Heights Hotel? Share your experiences!