“Excellent hotel! Great location. ”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
“Excellent hotel! Great location. ”
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Lovely clean hotel located in Poole...overlooking the quay! The hotel is a great base for exploring Poole town centre (if you can call it that) and surrounding areas.

The hotel itself is slightly dated however the cleanliness makes up for it. The staff are very helpful and welcoming. Car park is excellent value for money too!

Breakfast was £10 pp! Which I found to be little overpriced so ventured to one of the many independent cafés in Poole for a traditional full English. Cannot comment on the restaurant although from looking at the menu provided it looked yummy! Would definitely stay again,hopefully a refurbishment is in the pipeline too.

Stayed August 2014
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Oscar_Blaketon23,
Thank you for your review - I have passed on your kind comments to the team here at the hotel. I am pleased to inform you we are in the process of a soft refurbishment which is currently focusing on the bedrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to see the difference in the near furture!
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Holt, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Hotel is perfectly located right on the quay with great access to shops, sights and events. Hotel itself is very tired and in need of updating. Room carpet with threadbare and generally old fashioned decor. Bathroom had scrunched black & white striped shower curtain that looked like it had come out of a skip. Food and drinks are very over priced. Whilst the staff are very friendly indeed, the hotel is under staffed and you can often be kept waiting for a long time to be served. Have witnessed people walking out having given up during our stay. All a great shame because the place has great potential

Room Tip: Ask for one with air conditioning as they don't all have it.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Tracy B,
Thank you for your review and I pleased that you enjoyed the location of the property and will pass on your kind comments to the team. We are currently rolling out a soft refurbishment programme which should see a refresh in all our rooms. I am sorry to hear that on this occassion you found bar service to be slow - I will speak to the restaurant team, as there is no specific reason for this.
Hinckley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

A friend and I booked to stay here the day before we were due to arrive in Poole. Our original departure day was delayed due to ex hurricane Bertha. We were due to be camping on 10th August near Swanage but decided to book in at the Thistle for the Monday night and then see what the wind and weather were the next day. Online booking was very easy & I also booked the parking. We arrived at the hotel at 2pm and were asked if we would like ground floor or first floor room. As we had not booked a superior room with a view of the Quay we were not really bothered on which floor we were on. The polite young man at reception then informed us that we had been upgraded at no extra cost to a superior room with view of the Quay. We then decided that 1st floor would be best. On entering the room it was well presented, tea & coffee making facilities, two bottles of water, slippers & robes were available. As some other reviewers have said the room was rather warm & the windows only partially open( this is for health & safety reasons). There was however a fan in the room which we chose not to use. There were plenty of towels & the bed was a little to firm for my liking but my friend found it to be ideal. Room generally does need some updating but I gather this is in progress & should be completed by 2015. We booked on a room only basis so I can not comment on the food or bars. Overall I was very pleased with our stay at Thistle Poole and would not hesitate in staying or recommending this hotel again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear Oliver W,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in Poole - avoiding the wind and rain!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We booked the hotel at the last minute as we went to visit our son, so being a weekend in August we were lucky to find accommodation. The hotel is in a good location and our room was of a good size, with a reasonable bathroom and so suited our needs. If you are a hotel resident, the hotel car park is £5 per 24 hours which is reasonable. Breakfast in the hotel at £14 we thought to be expensive and so we had a very good breakfast in a nearby cafe. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful.

Dear cyrilthesquirrel,
Thank you for your review and I pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I will make sure the team are made aware of your kind comments.
We do offer breakfast at advance at a rate of £10 to residents when arranged through reception, as well as a breakfast menu of cooked to order items so I am sorry you did not join us. Please do feel free to contact me in advance if you do wish to stay with us in the future.
Kind regards,
Kidderminster
Reviewed August 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed a Saturday night in August for 1 night, room only. Hotel is in a great location overlooking the marina in Poole. Very handy to walk into Poole at night to sample the many restaurants. The check in staff were very efficient and the room was adequate for what we wanted. The hotel is a little tired. Our main reason for staying here was to catch an early Condor to Guernsey and for that reason this was a perfect location. It was quite expensive but it was a Saturday night in August

Room Tip: Pick a sea view room
Dear Richard W,
Thank you for your review - and I am pleased you found your stay with us to be both comfortable and convienent - I will be sure to pass your kind comments to the team here in Poole.
Steyning, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

This hotel is all about location, location, location. The views of Poole harbour are just stunning and you are right bang on the edge of the bustling quay with all the yachts and Sunseekers. You are also close to the ferry terminal. Parking in Poole is often difficult but the hotel has a huge car park and we thought that a parking charge of £5 for 24 hours was reasonable. Our room was a good size, clean and comfortable with lots of hot water available. The Wifi was fast and didn't require fiddling about with a password. On the down side, the communal parts of the hotel do look a bit shabby and the service is rather impersonal. We didn't pre book breakfast on line as it seemed rather expensive and there lots of good cafes and restaurants very nearby. However one morning we tried to eat breakfast in the hotel as my husband had hurt his back. We found that you really have to get to the dining room by 9.30 am although breakfast is supposed to be served until 10 am. We arrived at 9.50 am to find that the buffet was being cleared away by 9.55 am and it had completely disappeared by 10.10 am. Breakfast costs £10 per person and we certainly did not get value for money for the meal. However the overall hotel experience was good value as we had booked a special offer. We were told at reception that rates vary day by day and it's worth looking on line to see when the special offers are coming up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view and eat breakfast in one of the local cafes/ restaurants.
Dear Susan B,
Thank you for taking to time to write your review, and I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. We are currently undergoing a soft refurbishment, which has seen an overhaul of the resaurant and bars, we are now rolling out the programme into bedrooms. I will discuss the issue regarding breakfast to ensure we are offering a top level of service to our guests.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you visit us again
Kind Regards,
Gloucestershire
Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Thistle Hotel in Poole, Dorset. The Hotel is a modern bulding of somewhat unprepropessing architecture but set in gardens on the quayside in Poole from where there are fine views over Poole harbour to the National Trust's Brownsea Island.

The staff were all friendy and efficient, the food at dinner and breakfast well cooked and appealing: the range of items at the breakfast buffet was extensive with some extra at a charge.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and well maintained but the bedroom furniture was somewhat dated. The bedroom was very well equipped. the wether was very hot and the room was very hot at night. A fan was supplied which helped!

Only two point of criticism: there was a rarely found grab rail in the shower but set too low which meant I had to hold onto the towel rail to climb out of the bath safely; there was no rubber bath mat provided and although I ordered one from Reception, it did not arrive.

We much enjoyed our stay, not least watching the boats in the harbour both from the Restaurant and our romm and would like to stay there again.

Room Tip: Book a front room (extra charge)
1 Thank William024
Dear William204,
Thank you for taking time to write your review and I pleased you enjoyed your visit to us and Poole. I have passed on your kind comments to the team.
We do provide non-slip bathmats, so I will look into this issue to ensure we have a large supply in stock.
We look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.