“Good Location expensive for what it is.”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights with my other half and our two children- 18 month and 9 year old. Was disapointed at standard of hotel for the money charged per night. No air conditioning- only fans which were noisy and didn't keep the room cool. Toddler's bed was a travel cot with a flimsy thin mattress- luckily I had bought his own pillow so he lay on that each night. I know hotel is in process of redecorating etc but room was dated and lacked facilities. Only had breakfast there which was a buffet style- £10 per adult which seemed a lot. Hotel was good as a base for visiting Poole but too far from the main beach. I feel the hotel does not really cater for families. We stayed there as had natwest you points but I would not pay the prices they charge had we not had the points to redeem. Have had better stay and service at Premier Inns and for the same money Macdonald hotels.

Room Tip: We had a sea view but this meant on a Tuesday night when the motorbikers come it was very noisy till...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear Carolinebombaroline,
Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry that on this occasion you did not feel we offered good value for money. We price our rooms competitvely against hotels in the local area of a similair standard, but I will invetsogate the points rasied in your review. I am aware we have purchased some news cots recently so I will check any older cots have been disregarded.
Should you stay with us again, then please contact me directly so I am able to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed at the Thistle Hotel on the 19th July.
Lovely room [number 20] with pretty views.
This Hotel is on the South Coast and faces South so we do think windows should open a little more than 3 inches.[A fan is supplied in the room]
This is our only negative comment though.
The hotel is beautifully clean in a pretty location and the restaurant staff are very good led by the restaurant supervisor Meg who really is first class and a number 1 asset to the Thistle Hotel.
Great food too and prices are good. This does not mean that quality is not good.In fact its pretty outstanding in a town that has some great restaurants.
So do give their restaurant a try.
We loved it,
So please do try to improve on the windows
Barry and Marian Foster

Room Tip: First and Second floors give the best views and DO ASK FOR A SUPERIOR ROOM.It will cost you more but...
3  Thank barryf1000
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear barryf1000,
Thank you for your kind review, I have passed on your comments to Meg and the team. Unfortunatly due to health and safety and security reasons we are unable to open the windows any further than they currently do. In this unusally hot weather we do try to combat the heat as best as we can. We do look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel and the restaurant in the future.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on way back toFrance. It has a great location on PooleQuay right on the front. You can pay extra for a sea view. It's not an attractive hotel on the outside it's like a brick building built I the 70s, however, inside it is clean and functional. It has a large car park at the back which costs £5 a night for hotel guests. The room was clean and it had nice bathroom, including a bar of soap which is so unusual these days! Plenty of drinks provided and it had air con which was great as it was 29 degrees! There was an event on the quay which was noisy. Fireworks also at night. Overall a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Sea view available if pay extra
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear Graceloves,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and your visit to Poole. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have now stayed here 3 years in a row and it keeps getting better. The difference year on year is impressive. Yes the rooms are dated, but the hotel refurb is definitely visible. Location is second to none, car park reasonable at £5, staff are not clinically friendly, but happy to help and go the extra mile. I will be returning next year to see what progress has been made!

• Stayed: July 2014
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear BennyChef861
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and your kind comments which I have passed on to the team. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel. We are currently starting to re-furb the bedrooms, so I too, look forward to welcoming you back in the future to see the next stage of improvements.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a great location we chose it as a base to do some cycling I had called ahead to check there was a safe storage place ( inside ) for our bikes . On arrival the receptionist was clearly miserable which is a little disappointing as your first greeting I double checked about the cycles and he said yes that's fine bring them to reception and they will be stored securely . You guessed it on returning with our bikes 4 hours laterthe next receptionist demanded to know who I'd spoken to and told me to use the bike rack ( very small and definitely not secure) outside in their car park . After a loud discussion behind the reception we were "allowed" to put our bikes in a corridor marked staff only and told we offer no responsibility for your belongings . I feel at £130 per night and the fact I had checked twice we were made to feel like a massive inconvenience it completely spoilt our stay.the staff certainly don't seem to have any care about their guests it seems we are just an inconvenience in their day. Our room although clean was very tired peeling wood chip on the ceiling old fashioned pictures a iron burn on the carpet . Just £130 seems a high price tag for poor customer service and rooms in need of an up date.Veiws however are lovely but I think I'd stay at the premier inn next visit much fresher cheaper and definitely much more helpful and polite chipper staff .

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank staplehill t
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear staplehill t,
Thank you for the time taken to write your review and I am sorry to that you feel we offered a poor level of customer service. As a general rule of thumb we do not take bikes inside the hotel, however where possible we will do what we can do accomodate requests. Unfortunatly there was a breakdown of communication on reception which lead to the confusion of storing your bikes- however the receptionist mentioned is offended that you felt them to be miserable and I feel this is an unfair judgement on one person. We are in the process of a soft refurbishment in the rooms which is currently in process - until the rooms have received this facelift we are competitvley pricing the rooms with local hotels of a similair standard. Should you wish to stay with us in the future, please contact me directly so we can make your stay as comfortable as possible and ensure we have safe storage for your bikes.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights, good location for local bars and restaurants etc.,however hotel was rather expensive for what was delivered. At breakfast first morning we were not allowed to sit at window tables overlooking the water front as these were "reserved" for a coach party. Same story for the following 2 mornings - were made to feel like second hand guests. On final morning restaurant had run out of butter. There was a mini supermarket only 50/60 meters away, could have purchased butter there in an emergency. The previous evening the barman had to go and search for a bottle of blended whiskey - there was nothing availbale at the bar. Our bedroom at the rear was passable but in need of a facelift, looked very tired

Room Tip: Higher floors might be quieter

Dear 987BrianM,
Thank you for your review on tripadviser. I believe we have already had some correspondance. In order to manage the coach group and to have minimul disturbance to our residents we reserve an area for the group - in total this took up four window tables - there were still seven windows tables, and three partial window tables available for our resident guests. Obvisouly these tables are the first to be occupied and are the most popular for breakfast and dinner. We did not have packeted butter however we did have plated butter available on the chilled buffet on all mornings. We are in the process of a soft refurbishment which has been completed in public areas, we are now concentrating on a facelift for the rooms.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Feel this hotel is overpriced for what it is. We just wanted an overnight and paid extra for a sea view. The surrounding quay has restaurants and bars which make the room noisy after the hours of darkness. You have to have the windows open as the air conditioning unit is more noisy than the drunks outside. Dont think I slept all night. Room clean but tired looking. All right for an overnight but would not want to stay longer

1  Thank Dianeha
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Dianeha,
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear you did not have a good nights sleep. We price our rooms competitvely with local hotels of a similair standard, so I am sorry you feel it is over priced. In reference so the noise, it is unusual for our guests to hear the town noise, so again I apologise that this did affect your night sleep.