“Struggling to cope with summer rush, hope you like dogs.”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We visited last summer and were asked to wait in the bar as the room wasn't ready and we would be called. An hour later I went back and the receptionist had forgotten I existed. It was extremely busy but she just was not coping. When we did get a room it was lovely.
As we sat alone in the bar, several dogs and owners came in and out and were obviously well known to the staff. One dog was running around in the garden having a lovely time. I like dogs and there was no evidence of one having been in our room, but after listening to one yapping all night and running up and down the corridor I felt like booting it into the sea. We had no sleep and left early, telling the receptionist about the problem. When we got home, we wrote a letter of complaint and only sheer persistence and patience got us any joy. Letters apparently not received, promised refund not happening. In the end we did get a refund. It took several weeks. Would not go back. If your dog wants a nice holiday, go for it. Don't worry about me, I won't be there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear FredaBlogga,
Thank you for your time writing on tripadvisor.
I am surprised to read a review about an occurance going back 6 to 8 month, it must have been a boring rainy afternoon in Oxford.
I consider this matter closed.
Many thanks

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed for one night only. Room was comfortable and clean, a nice size and well equipped. The staff we encountered were truly lovely, very helpful and made us feel welcome and looked after. The breakfast overlooking the harbour was great. Would stay here again,

Room Tip: Rooms at back overlook the car park - fine if you don't need a view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Lesley H,
thank you very much for your kind review.
It is always nice to hear when guests enjoyed their time with us. Please feel free to get in touch with me directly, for your next stay.
All your great comments have been passed on to our team members.
Kind regards

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Upon arrival I was quite excited at the prospect of staying at the thistle as I'd heard good things! We were there for my mums wedding so you'd think they would go put of their way considering the thousands of pounds spent there but no staff didn't seem that bothered, the room smelt like a care home and was dull and out dated , drinks were over priced and increased as the night went on! £8 for a glass of wine! To top it all of my girlfriend was stuck in the lift for 45mins to only be saved by the fire brigade, after being rescued we were told this has happened before and were offered nothing in return ! This place is dangerous do not go !

• Stayed: February 2014
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Lukewatkins,
Thank you for your time writing your review. I am sorry to hear that you found our staff not too bothered. We usually get praised for our staff friendliness and level of service. We host about 95 functions, similar to yours, a year and our reputation is very good. So much so that guests keep coming back to us to enjoy the view, location and service.
On the other hand I was very concerned, when I found out the lift got stuck and this is not a common occurrence. In the last 24 months the lift got stuck twice, unfortunately your girlfriend was one of them. Please accept my apologies and ask your girlfriend to get in touch with me.
We have the lift repaired and a certificate which shows that the lift is fit for purpose. I can email you a copy of same, if you wish.
I can only assume that you had a 250ml glass of wine. Our wine prices range from £6,95 to £8,75 per glass depending what grape variety you prefer.
Please get in touch with me should you wish to return and I will make sure you have will have a great time with us.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Lovely spacious rooms with great facilities. Superb location near the sea front.

Opted out of Breakfast as £10 a person and there are lots of cafes near by which offer much cheaper options.

Very friendly service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Veganese,
Thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our friendly staff looked after you so well. I will forward your kind comments to all staff.
Best regards

Reviewed February 8, 2014

While the Hotel is a little tired in places the service more than makes up for it. Sally on front desk was so helpful & organised my room service with gluten free options, an egg mayo sandwich & fries. There is plenty of hot water for a bath, big white towels & complementary slippers & robe. The service at breakfast was super great from Bob. He was very helpful & friendly & clearly a morning kind of guy. This was not a one off as I have stayed since & he remembered me & was as charming as ever.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are great as right on harbour & there are binoculars in rooms for your use.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear 50Wendy7,
Thank you for your time writing about your stay at our hotel. We are slowly refurbishing the hotel and the upstairs restaurant and bar will have a new carpet fitted in a month time.
Great to hear that you find our staff friendly and magnificent, I will pass on your kind comments to all departments.
Kind regards

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Very good hotel in a great location and views
The staff lift it to a better level
Had a problem with getting into our room but the receptionist soon got it sorted with a change of room
Choice of beer was limited but the food was good both in the restaurant and bar
Recommend it anytime

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Roger H,
Thank you for your kind review. It is always great to read that our staff's efforts are being noticed.
We had a little hick-up with our beer lines, hence the lack of choice of beers in the hotel. I am pleased to say that this has all been sorted now and we are fully up and running again.
Best regards

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We booked the Thistle for a one night stay for a friend's birthday party which was also in the hotel.
Staff were excellent the room was clean, bed comfortable, breakfast was very good, location superb views
Would recommend it to anyone
All in all very enjoyable,comfortable value for money stay.

Room Tip: Bar drinks with mixers were quite expensive
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear HOWELLYJB,
Thank you very much for your time and fantastic review. I did hear from other people that the party went well and all had a great time.
I will pass on your kind comments to all departments concerned.
Many thanks