“Birthday treat”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed December 28, 2013

A surprise for my birthday
My husband food got mixed up at evening meal which ment he had to eat alone,when he asked for 2 glasses of champagne they said none to spare but offer other bubbles.
Breakfast we had was good but on display was curled up cheese and meat which would have looked better in the bin.
When paying the bill he did tell them all this and they took 10% off.
Good job our friends kept us laughing.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for ariting your review how3,
I am sorry to hear that you have not fully enjoyed our hospitality. If I remember correctly we had a wedding reception at the time and the pre-poured sparkling wine was for the wedding party. We did open up the bar upstairs with enough sparkling wine available. I am sorry fo rthe confusion.
Many thanks

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed for business one night in December.
The most striking ting about this hotel is the tired and aged look of the building - both the interior and exterior.
Car parking is available behind the hotel in an open air car pay and display car park. Information is a bit thin - you could risk putting money in the meter only to find that on check-in you can register your details and get overnight parking for £5 as opposed to £10 in the machines. This could be better communicated.
The hotel looks old as you enter. Carpets and walls are well worn. Some rooms are being refurbished I'm told, mine wasn't one of them although it did smell of new paint.
I found the rooms to be a bit of a let down - old wall-mounted hair dryers, old radiators, a general feel that not much has changed from the 1970s. The sofa bed cover had a range of stains upon it and really didn't give the feeling that I wanted to sit on it. The TV was however quite modern with a good selection of channels, and the wifi worked well. For business purposes I found the desk to be too small to work on.
The dining room was ok - atmosphere-free, but with a pleasant bar and very helpful staff. Food was average though nicely presented. Again I found all the staff to be good - welcoming and helpful.
Location wise this hotel is grey - right on quayside with plenty of opportunities to walk around and gaze at yachts.
Would I stay here again - probably not - I'd look for other alternatives first.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear challenger08,
thank you for your time writing about your stay here at the hotel. We are constantly updating our hotel and the smell of fresh paint is a good indicator of same, and some rooms have had an overhaul.
We have 18 orange coloured parking signs in our car park, with the second paragraph outlining the parking fee for hotel guests. I am sorry if you have not seen them. Second Paragraph reads:
Hotel residents: £5.00 per night parking charge - please pay at hotel reception and provide your full, correct vehicle registration details on check in. This is a 50% reduction for hotel guests.
I am glad however, that you enjoyed the dining room and that you found our staff friendly and helpful.
Best Christmas wishes from Thistle Poole

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had a really lovely night, food was first class and the staff were very friendly and professional and the disco was good with excellent christmas songs, will definitely recommend to friends and family.

Dear Jayne F,
thank you for your great review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your party. I have passed on your comments to all relevant teams.
Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again soon.
Best Christmas wishes - Thistle Team

Reviewed December 17, 2013

This hotel has a fabulous location.....and more importantly the hotel has lovely staff who looked after our every need.I love this area lots to see and do, within walking distance of everything...a truly enjoyable stay!!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you for your great review offtobuffallo,
sharing your good experience on tripadvisor. I have passed on your kind comments to the rest of the team and please feel free to contact me directly for your next stay.
best regards

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Recently I had the pleasure of going to the Thistle for our works Christmas meal, there were 14 of us that went. Our meal was to a superb standard with no complaints from anyone and high praise for the vegetables which were cooked to perfection. I had the Salmon which was divine, I also had the Chocolate Tarte which I have to say was the best I have tasted. There was a disco and although the dance floor was a little small it did not stop the DJ entertaining us and playing a good variety of music.
I would highly recommend the Thistle and would quite happily go there again for any function.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Denise P,
thank you for your great review. We are pleased that we were able to provide you and your friends with a memorable Christmas party.
I have taken your point regarding the size of the dance floor on board and we will have a larger one available for the forthcoming parties.
Best regards and a Merry Christmas

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We were met by very friendly staff. Service was very prompt, organized and the staff were very friendly. Food was lovely and plates were hot which was a bonus. Would definately recommend to people and would come back again next year.

Dear julie2134,
Thank you for your great review. It is always uplifting to read that our guests enjoyed their time with us. I will pass on your comments to all relevant departments.
Kind regards

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Myself and my husband arranged a Christmas meal out last weekend 7/12/13. After researching we decided on the thistle, it was priced at £30 each so quite expensive. We were told to arrive at 7.00 ready to be seated and eat at 7.30. We turned up and were greeted by friendly staff, we took our seats the room looked very nice and everything was clean and tidy. However when walking in we noticed the dance floor was very small and was a long way from where we were sat. There were crackers and party poppers on the table but the crackers were very cheap and basic. Our meals arrived and the first course was fine and tasty. For the main many of us had the turkey dinner this arrived and consisted of around 4 tiny slices of Turkey, 1 party sausage and 1 stuffing ball, there were also 3 small roast potatoes however these were very over cooked and hard. My friends that had the beef were disappointed as they only had 1 small Yorkshire pudding, when one of my party asked for another one we were told there was only 1 per person. The whole table (11 of us) complained about the hard potatoes and we received 4 new ones for the whole table (again over cooked). There were 2 bowls of vegetables for the table and no where near enough gravy on the meals. When the dessert arrived again we were disappointed I had Xmas pudding this came in the form of 1 very tiny slice in the middle of the bowl with a tiny drizzle of custard. My husband had the treacle sponge which was very dry and two of the party had chocolate tart, again this was dry and had a minuscule side serving of cream. Overall we were all very disappointed with the meal and the portion sizes. As there was wine glasses on the table it would of been a nice touch to have offered people a glass of wine with their meal, as this could of easily been included in the £30 meal price this did not happen. The drinks were extremely expensive, and many of our party left early due to this. The dj was ok but didn't really play much of a variety of music. Many did not dance. We feel this was a lot of money each for an Xmas meal and were very disappointed, I would not recommend The Thistle for a Christmas party.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Halfhide75
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Halfhide75,
I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the Thistle Poole and felt that we were unable to provide you with the service you expected. Your comments have definitely been taken on board, and have been passed on to the relevant teams.

If you can please contact me directly (01202 666800), I am more than happy to discuss your comments with you as I don't feel web based communication is the right way of sorting complaints out.

Kind Regards,