“Nice views from this hotel”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have stayed over night twice at this hotel in order to get the early morning ferry to the channel isles. On the first visit, last year, we had a view of the vast car park which wasn't great but this year we booked a view of the harbour and it was lovely.
The room was a fair size and well presented. The carpet could do with being replaced in the rooms though and in the restaurant where it had black tape stuck over it in places!
The room had no air con and we stayed there on one of the hottest days of the year so we were boiling all night. For safety, the windows didn't open very wide. On the plus side the room had a fridge which as I have to travel with medication that requires refrigeration this was a nice bonus. I have stayed in more expensive hotels that have no fridge in the room.
The staff were helpful although we did think they needed more staff on reception at busy times. There was a long queue to check out in the morning with only one lady to deal with everyone. As we were getting the early morning boat we didn't want to hang around for to long.
I would stay there again, it has no major faults but as the ferry has now returned to leaving from Weymouth we will be using our usual hotel there.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for the front of the hotel, there is plenty going on in the harbour to look at. The...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear annbritt2013. Thank you for taking the time to review the Thistle Poole, and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the views across the harbour - which are lovely whatever the weather. We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel and this includes updates to the rooms, and the public areas, including the carpet in the restaurant, so hopefully the next time you stay with us these changes would have taken place.

Some of our rooms do have air conditioning, but the majority don't and due to this we do not advertise the facility. Do feel free to request a room with air conditioning if you do choose to book with us again. In terms of the fridge in your room none of our rooms are equipped with fridges, so I can only assume you stayed with us earlier in the year and requested a fridge to be put in the room for medicinal needs.

If you do choose to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me directly.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here when attending a wedding nearby. Nice location and all in all, perfectly fine, with a nice comfy bed, adequate bathroom, good air-con, and everything clean and tidy. We didn't spend any time there apart from crashing out so can't comment on service or food. Our (non-smoking) room absolutely reeked of stale smoke, which let it down. Otherwise I'd say its a great cheap and cheerful option.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Dear TashaandAiden
Thank you for your comments in your review. All of our rooms are non-smoking and we are very vigilant in putting this rule into operation. I have taken your comments very seriously and spoken to the relevant departments to ensure we have a very tight grip on the situation. We would very much like to welcome you back here in Poole, so please feel free to contact me directly should you stay again.
Kind Regards

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We arranged to have our wedding reception and wedding night at the Thistle. Every detail was attended to and the staff discussed our needs and desires with us and they attended to everything! We had no need to worry about a thing! It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening and was exactly what we had wanted! I can highly recommend it as a venue for a wedding reception and also as a hotel to stay in overnight. Our room was spacious and comfortable with an amazing view over the harbour! Breakfast was lovely with everything you could need or want. Can't praise it enough!

Room Tip: Over looking the quay/harbour have amazing views!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Janice N,
Many congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for your kind comments in your review. I am very pleased that you were happy with the service we provided for you on your special day. I have passed on your comments to the relevant departments.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went away with my boyfriend for a weekend in Poole and the Thistle couldn't have been better. The receptionist was so friendly and welcoming and I was told we had been chosen for an upgrade, what a pleasant suprise!
We went to our room and it was lovely, with a view of the sea and brownsea island. The bed was so comfy and the we had everything we needed for our stay.
I went for a walk along the quay, perfect setting and again great views. As the hotel had exceeded our expectations we decided to have dinner there. The waitress was lovely getting us a table by the window so we could watch the sunset. The food was incredible and we had so much to choose from.
We had a wonderful nights sleep and woke fresh and bright each morning. The food at breakfast yet again no complaints.

I honestly would stay at the Thistle Poole again, many times!!! I would also pay for the up-grade to have that amazing view every stay, well worth.

Room Tip: Room 104 - best room I have ever stayed in
2  Thank Sezzy B

Dear Sezzy B,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us and in Poole. I have passed on your praise to the relevant departments. We look forward to welcoming you here at Thistle Poole again.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at Thistle Poole, for two nights in July, during the heat wave. The location is second to none in the area, and I couldn't have been happier with my short break to the sea! I felt it was great value for money being peak summer season, and the staff really made us feel welcome - cant wait to return for my next short break.

Rooms - rooms are not super modern, but comfortable, roomy and have a lovely 'homely' feel to them (not the typical chain hotel rooms that are now everywhere). All facilities in room were great - I paid for a harbour view room, so had fantastic view across to Brownsea - room was warm, but reception were more than happy to provide a fan. Rooms were cleaned to a high standard and the chamber maid was very happy to provide me with additional sheets etc.

Food - the restaurant too overlooks the view, staff were really friendly and food fantastic - had the best dauphinoise I ever have tasted - compliments to the chef.

Lovely terrace bar on the front, great to watch the yachts coming and going, very relaxing sun trap!

The main factor of the hotel was the exceptional staff who worked there, everyone was friendly and chatty, happy to go the extra mile in every aspect, they really made the stay for us - from check in at reception, to cleaning staff and waiters.

Highly recommend for people hopping on the ferry and for a relaxing stay, in a hotel where you feel a person, not a reference number.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boss D

Dear Boss D
Thank you for your nice review, and I am glad you enjoyed your stay here! I have passed on your comments to the hotel team. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Yet another overbooking story....

For too many years the Thistle in Poole has relied on its position on the quayside as its only saving grace.

It hasn't been redecorated for years and is shabby, bordering on dirty. The food, including the breakfast is stuck in a 1970s time warp. It's expensive. Some of the staff (but not all) are simply rude and have no customer service skills.

So why go there? I use hotels in this area a lot and I bring many guests and clients. Long ago I vowed not to stay at the Thistle again but this time everywhere was booked up so the Thistle was the last resort.

I booked some people in there 2 weeks ago. On the afternoon of their arrival, as they actually arrived, they were told that they were overbooked. There had been no pre-warning or communication beforehand. They were to be put up in some B & B on the edge of town. No hint of an apology, or real attempt to compensate.

The way that the Thistle handle customers is like something out of a bad John Cleese training video of how not to do things. That, combined with dingy bedrooms, very poor food and a general atmosphere of a place waiting to shut down means the only reason to stay there is because it is on the quayside.

You would be better off parking your car in the car park and sleeping in that.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BlackfeatherBerks
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear BlackfeatherBerks,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you believe we don't offer good service and a good product. We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel, currently we are working on the public areas as well as continually updating the rooms. Our menu is changed every 6 months, and we aim to provide good, honest food to cater for a variety of tastes and dietery requirements.
Unfortunatly we have had to outbook some guests. This was down to a system error, we tried everything we could to accommodate the guests, but unfortunatly were not able to do so. The system has now been fixed and we are not having to outbook our guests.
In general our staff recieve very high feedback from our guests, especially in their customer service skills - I am sorry that you believe our staff are rude. I have however taken your comments on board and well ensure we are offering a high level of customer service to all our guests.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed one night due to being near ferry port. Room and decor showing signs of age .elavator not working which was an issue as my wife is disabled and difficulty getting up down the stairs to/from the room .went for a meal in restraunt soup was extremely thick sent back could not offer French frys as according to staff fryer out of order .bed was very uncomfortable and hard more large single than a double bed. Waitress in dinning room was very plesant

Room Tip: Room had good view no other positive comment

Dear Martin S,

Thank you for your review, and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are currently in the process of refurbishing the hotel, to ammend any rooms which are showing signs of age. I must apologise for both the fryer and lift not being in good working order - we obviously would have worked very hard to rectify these issues as quickly as possible but unfortunatly in this case it took a little while to fix these problems and I therefore apologise for any inconvience caused to your wife and yourself. In terms of the soup I understand it was not to your test, and have passed on the comments to the kitchen team. Should you wish to stay at the hotel again, feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,