“Exceptional and incredible value”
Review of RNLI College

RNLI College
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed at the RNLI college out of curiosity and was very impressed. The check in was first class and given a very warm welcome lby very friendly staff. Hotel is very nice and rooms are very spacious warm and clean.
Food in the restaurant was very well cooked and presented with staff very attentive.
Best steak I have had in years with a fresh salad and fluffy mash.
Couldn't find a single fault.
Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone staying in the Poole area over any of the more well known hotel chains.
Great value probably under-priced.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Paul H
Richard_Martin9, General Manager at RNLI College, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Hi Paul H

Thank you for taking the time to review RNLI College with tripadvisor and choosing to stay with us. It was great to meet you and also show you around the college and explain what we do here.

Thank you for supporting the RNLI saving lives at sea.

There are newer reviews for RNLI College

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The RNLI College in Poole is highly rated for a good reason - it is a great place to stay.

My wife and I were seeking a post-concert bed and usually head towards a Premier Inn or Travelodge. After a quick Trip Advisor consultation we were pleased to try the RNLI College, especially as I am an owner of a wooden sailing boat. Our raised expectations were well met by the helpful reception staff, a light and airy reception and a warm and spacious bedroom.

The views across the water are peaceful, and especially atmospheric the next morning with the hanging mists. The bed was most comfortable, although the room was a little over-heated. The desk space and number of plugs for re-charging was generous.

We did not eat at the college in the evening, nor make use of the bar, but the breakfast was great. It was the usual affair; serve yourself cereal, cooked food and pastries. However, the bacon and field mushrooms stood out as being a considerable cut above the ordinary. Just a bit of a shame about the poor quality of the sausages. Why is it so difficult to find sausages that actually contain a good proportion of meat?

After breakfast we spent many minutes in the foyer reading the various lifeboat stories and history.

As we left we felt rested, and just a little virtuous knowing that part of our bill was contributing to the ongoing service that is the RNLI.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kbp61

Hi kpb61

Thank you for taking the time to review RNLI College with tripadvisor. We are delighted that you found us and enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for your comments about breakfast, espcially the bacon and mushrooms (we have also changed our sausages since your stay.

Thank you for supporting the RNLI. Happy sailing.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights recently & the whole time I was overwhelmed ...the room was outstanding & the view of the harbour was perfect.
The food was excellent & very reasonably priced. The staff went out of their way to help & I met some very lovely people.
I look forward to my next visit. One other point I wish to make is that every penny I spent on the hotel goes towards funding for the RNLI which is again another good reason to stay.

Room Tip: perfect harbour view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Richard_Martin9, General Manager at RNLI College, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hi Alison T

Thank you very much for your generous review with tripadvisor, we appreciate your kind comments.

It is always worth remembering that every £ spent with us helps support saving lives at sea - thank you for your support.

Richard

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am an RNLI Lifeboat Crew member who has stayed here twice and is do to stay for a further week in April this year.

The Lifeboat College is primarily intended to provide facilities for the likes of myself - Lifeboat volunteers, taking time out from home life and their jobs to receive training to enable us to do our role as volunteers for the RNLI.

When I arrived the first time I trained and stayed here, I was overwhelmed at the high standards of the accommodation and food.

There is a wonderful ambience about the place, the staff are all positive and incredibly polite and eager to assist their guests. The location is outstanding with wonderful views.

It is great when non training guests (supporters) are staying here if rooms are available as you are directly supporting the RNLI in it's cause of saving lives at sea.

However, please bear in mind as previously said by others - this facility exists primarily for the students in training, therefore even though the accommodation is a high standard, don't expect the room service or access to a dry cleaner. Staff here will do their best to look after you as much as they are able.

Please consider staying here with your family and friends, you won't regret it, and you can feel proud knowing that you have supported the RNLI directly in staying here.

Room Tip: Remember to visit the RNLI shop in the Lifeboat colege and the larger stock shop down the road Re...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank wirralkid

Hi wirralkid

This is one of the most important reviews we have had with tripadvisor - because the reason we are here is to offer a 'home from home' for our valued volunteer crew.

Thank you for your lovely feedback - it means agreat deal to the team here.

Richard

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We are a couple of 'oldies' who married at the R N L I on 21st May 2011. It was a magical day. We watch our video and say 'thank-you' to everyone who made our perfect day so memorable. The Harbour View room was ideal and the staff even took down the orange curtains which I didn't like. I cannot praise the catering staff highly enough. The food and the setting were of the highest standard. Our room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Our wedding guests who stayed the night all complimented the R N L I for their service with a smile. We have returned to eat in the restaurant many times and are booked to return in a couple of weeks for a week-end stay ( and we only live 3 miles away ).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Angel 18Dorset

Thank you for your very kind comments with tripadvisor. Thank you also for trusting us with your special day!

We are pleased you have found us and coming back to stay.

Your support for the RNLI is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you are looking for "posh" accommodation, this is not for you. But if you want a spotlessly clean room with a view of Poole Harbour, full English breakfast, very helpful and friendly staff and a hotel at B&B prices, then this is for you.

Lunches and dinners are also available and the food is what you'd expect from people feeding RNLI students before and after a day on (and often in) the water. Hearty food, wide range and well cooked.

All profits go towards RNLI costs, so your enjoyment benefits a great cause.

A great place for youngsters interested in the sea, seafaring heroes and boats. We will be going back to stay again (we went for a birthday party this time) as there are nature reserves within walking distance of the college.

Room Tip: All rooms face the harbour.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Old-Grouse

Hi Old-Grouse

Thank you for taking the time to review RNLI College with tripadvisor. We are the home of RNLI Crew, Lifeguards and Flood Rescue training and a working college, with hotel style accommodation. As your rightly point out we are not a 'posh' 5 star hotel or even a four star hotel! Our tripadvisor rating is a reflection of our desire to offer an individual level of welcoming hospitality that we strive to offer to our volunteer crew and lifeguards.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for supporting the RNLI saving lives at sea.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in November 2012, we had travelled from New Zealand to our old home town of Poole. We arrived on Monday as a surprise visit for our Daughters graduation the following day, our suits needed pressing after a 32 hour squash in the suitcase, on requesting a pressing service we were told they could be back for Thursday, the day before our departure, I had to ask for locations of Dry cleaners, this was not given freely and I said I'd look it up on google.
On trying to log in on the free Internet access,it was restricted to one log in device per room, this was rectified by us having to go to reception to collect another log in password.
On the Monday evening we returned to the hotel at 10 30 so we could have a night cap, when we got to the bar it was closed, ringing for room service was a joke , "hello, Gatehouse" ??? I asked about room service to be told there wasn't any!!!! Not impressed.
The room we were in was designed as a Multi use room, for wheelchair access, the room was clean and tidy and the bed comfortable, however that's where the positives finish! The view from the window would be inaccessible to anyone in a wheelchair as the window was in the corner and I had to sit on the desk in order to see the view. The wardrobe was short, so my longer dresses and coat could not hang fully. The available plug/mirror for a hair dryer meant I had to sit on the floor to do my hair. The light switch for the bathroom was on the opposite side on the door opening, so that ever time one would go in, you would have to come back out, close the door and then turn on the switch, not a major thing I know, but very frustrating .the bathroom was only supplied with Dove wash, no wipes, shampoo or conditioner , I have never stayed anywhere, where these were not basic facilities.
All in all a very bad experience for us, this does not offer the expected facilities of a "hotel"

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Annie K
Richard_Martin9, General Manager at RNLI College, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Hi Anne K

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with tripadvisor. We are disappointed that we were not given the opportunity to address the issues you raised with you during your stay in November, and that your review is our lowest rated.

I have tried to email you directly but concious of the time difference. Our primary purpose if training our Volunteer Lifeboat Crew and Lifeguards. We sell any spare capacity to our supporters. We do not routinely offer a clothes pressing service or 24 hour room service, we do try and ensure that any service request are dealt with in a proactive and positive way.

We hope you will return as some point in the furture and enjoy the same experience as our previous reviewers.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for supporting the RNLI to save lives at sea.