“Wow what a gem!”

The Courtyard Tea Rooms
Ranked #4 of 384 Restaurants in Poole
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A quirky and friendly family run tea rooms with secluded outdoor seating and a great menu. Wonderful homemade cakes, scones, afternoon teas & light lunches. Come in and try our wonderful selection of teas from around the world.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Visited this hidden gem on Saturday afternoon. We had the most wonderful Dorset cream tea and the Dorset apple cake with clotted cream. Best we have ever tasted. There is a wonderful choice of items on the menu and a great selection of different teas. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. There is a lovely outside space to sit, and the prices are very reasonable.
If you come to lovely Poole, you must visit this hidden gem it is well worth it.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We visited The Courtyard after looking at other reviews on Tripavisor while we were visiting Poole and decided to have lunch there. We were a little disappointed by the very small choice but I think there'd just about be something for everyone. Three of my party had the jacket potatoes which if your not a salt lover you'd best ask for without the salt. If we'd known in advance just how much salt was put on the skins I'd have asked for it without on my 6 year olds one because she didn't like it at all. I had the mixed meats platter and loved it - my only gripe was the the grapes hadn't been washed. Great selection of drinks and a lovely courtyard area to sit in (other than the smell of cooking fat). Despite my minor gripes I would recommend it..

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This wonderful tea rooms were more than happy to host my Hen party. Welcoming and friendly staff that were able to suit our reqirements exactly. A wonderful afternoon tea with a wide selection of fresh home made food and at a great price too!! A lovely gem hidden down a gorgeous archway. When inside you would not think you were in the middle of a bustling town centre. I would highly recommend a visit and look forward to visitiing again in the near future. Thank you again :-)

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Six of us had a light lunch here yesterday, in the 'snug' room across the courtyard.
Really nice home cooked food, interesting selection of juices and good coffee (in a glass!). Tried the Kandahar cake which is a poppy seed sponge and was excellent!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I am very surprised to read all of these other reviews as we were here this morning and weren't impressed. We both had toasties with a little salad on the side - lettuce was surprisingly gritty and unwashed, coffee was bitter and served in two small little glasses. When we tried to pay the girl was eating her lunch and didn't want to be disturbed. All the time we were there two ladies were talking in very loud voices about their work mates, how they kept Hobnobs in their locker and how Aldi jam was the best you could buy. As they seemed to be making a sponge for sale in the cafe it didn't inspire us with confidence. Its a very small room and it felt claustrophobic. Didn't enjoy the experience, hope it was a bad day for the cafe, would warn against the owners treating the cafe as their own front room, probably ask them to wash the lettuce before serving it, use cups or mugs or anything rather than teeny tiny little Irish coffee glasses and then charge more than £2 for each one.

Pod1506, Owner at The Courtyard Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

I would like to personally apologise if your salad was gritty. It is delivered fresh and unwashed and requires washing by ourselves, which we clearly did not do adequately in this case. I can offer no explanation for your coffee (Presumably a latte, since it was in a glass). No-one has previously made any unfavourable comment on it, and we have used the same coffee for the last 4 years. I can only imagine a mistake was made in its preparation. (PS. The glasses hold the same amount as a standard mug).

I'm afraid we have no control over the conversations of other customers, and in a relatively small space is somewhat unavoidable I'm afraid (Assuming you were sat inside - The garden would have been lovely on Saturday morning). I will, of course ensure that all of the staff understand that the customers needs have a priority over their own lunch, however please bear in mind that this establishment is run as a very informal basis and not for cold efficiency or financial gain - Our only concern is your pleasure. Please call again, and perhaps enjoy a nice piece of sponge cake (Freshly made on the premises).