“Sunday buffet...make this one of your Sundays”

Hotel du Vin Bistro Poole
Ranked #60 of 377 Restaurants in Poole
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The surroundings are great, the venue is always smart and the food for a Sunday buffet is fabulous. Not your usual, yes they have a roast but it is almost a four course meal. One of the courses is a visit to the buffet bar, which is superb! The wine was good and the service also good at the table. Even desserts were very nice. Not rushed although we were asked to change our booked time.
I would go again and intend to try another HdV...
For me the only thing they failed on was the parking, you have to park in a hideous car park on the edge of the hotel and have to revisit if you go over time - the hotel does not have an arrangement for parking. There are a few spaces but I assume they are for residents.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I came here for a late Valentine's Day dinner. The food here was outstanding. It was fresh and had so much flavor. My husband loved it just as much. He had the steak which is was very happy with (he is picky with his steak) and I had the pork tenderloin and black pudding - wonderful! We had dessert and just a great experience. The service was amazing and we always had someone taking care of us, coming up when they thought we needed our drink filled or when we were ready for another course. They were very nice and friendly and even knew the drinks we ordered at the bars before we even sat at the table. We will definitely be back here again especially being that we live so close!

1  Thank SilleBliss
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant has a good feel, but waitress aloof and replied "fantastic" to everything. Food was bland, and very boring choice. Rump steak seemed to be a slice of roast beef warmed up, and there was far too much salt on both the meat and chips, and I generally like a good amount of salt. Very overpriced for what they serve up.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were in Poole over the Easter w/e and decided to pop into Hotel du Vin for a late lunch. Nice outside seating, and with a few tables occupied. After checking out the bar menu my husband went inside to order and was told that someone would come and take our order shortly. From the time we sat down, to the time we decided to leave, no-one even acknowledged us, yet alone took an order, in all approx. 15 mins! As we left we were asked if we were ok and could they help. Sadly not and a return visit will not be on the cards.
My daughter who has also used the restaurant here said, whilst food was ok, the service was terrible.
Shame really as the group in general is usually pretty good.

2  Thank a j
Reviewed April 16, 2014

There were some good aspects of our food.
The whole sea bass with prawns cooked in garlic butter was excellent, but it was served with only a few salad leaves and a lemon. It's not a bad thing that it arrives swimming in butter, but would anyone really eat this dish without mashed potato? The manager found it difficult to disagree, and did not charge for the mashed potato side dish.
If you are offering a 3-course meal for a fixed price, it has to be able to stand alone as a meal, with side dishes needed only by those who want to over-eat.
With mixed salad leaves appearing in both our starters and main courses, I feared they might arrive in the dessert, but in mine they were replaced by a piece of paper.
I hope the chef soon gets on a cooking vegetables course, and that he then includes them in the menu. Salad leaves everywhere is just lazy.
Sorry to go on, but when a "menu du jour" is released to residents at 6pm, why on earth does it still have "soup of the day" on it? At some stage, you have to decide what it will be!

2  Thank fatoldman