“four disappointed people”
Review of Chequers Inn

Chequers Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stevenage
Chequers Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Stevenage B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was one of the worst places we have stayed at. for £70 per night it was disgusting.

Shower head was disgusting, floor was sticky, screen leaked, mould on the windows and around the shower screen. Cobwebs everywhere, we had to get the hoover that was left on the landing to remove the cobwebs before we slept.

Although the bed looked clean, the surrounding decor etc gave us an uncomfortable night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed here just one night, found it on laterooms.com. For the final price the stay was fine. The room was in size ok, but not special, a bit quick renovation. Breakfast is in the restaurant with a bit of african decoration and is tasty.
Some places need a good clean, a little bit better renovation and will be very nice place to stay close to a big city...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Having been recommended to try the pie nights a friend and I ordered the chicken and asparagus pie -- it was awful, the worst pie I have ever eaten. It contained lumps of fatty thigh meat apart from one piece of chicken breast and very few pieces of asparagus, in fact I counted 2 pieces. We told the waitress when she came to collect the plates with over 75% of our pie's not eaten (she did not bother to ask us first if we enjoyed our meal or not, even though there was a large amount of food left on the plate) She mumbled that she would tell the chef but never came back to us and neither did anyone else. I have had better pies from the supermarket and never ever before has anyone served me a chicken pie with anything other than breast meat in it. Very poor and inedible.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Myself and a few girls stopped here after wedding dress shopping to celebrate and grab some lunch.
Food was fresh and very tasty, there was a great choice, we all ordered different things and they all came out hot and well presented.
The staff were friendly and attentive and there is a lovely open fire which was very welcome after coming in from the cold.
I had stayed here a long time ago and the breakfast was great and for this reason we thought it was a safe choice. It did not disappoint. Will certainly recommend and go again if in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Local haunt for good atmosphere, great pub food-especially the highly regarded Pies!!
A welcome break from the homogenised chains.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I stayed here several times. And I will always come back.

The staff is very friendly, the pies are great as well as the breakfast and the other evening meals.

Spacious and very clean rooms, nice hospitality. Children are welcome. You feel like home.

The Chequers Inn is a gateway to London.

I would surely recommend this Inn to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank namsun
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed here as a halfway stop to a wedding in Norwich, choosing it in preference to the Premier Inn style of blandness. This is always something of a gamble but it certainly paid off this time.

We arrived fairly late, due to roadworks, and received a concerned phone call enroute, to ensure that we were ok.

The room was an older style, but very pleasant, although my wife did find the bed to hard for her. I personally liked the firmness and slept well.

Breakfast was very pleasant, with newspapers provided and a choice of food.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a stopover, and I imagine would also suit those who wished to stay for longer. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple