“Surpisingly nice room”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Reading, UK
“Surpisingly nice room”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed in one of the refurbished room. It was very nicely decorated, a reasonable size and with good facilities. Staff were very helpful and gave us extra covers as we don't like duvets. Good value and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Annette F, Manager at Premier Inn Stevenage North Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for leaving us your review. We are happy you enjoyed your room in our new extension, and look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Truro, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We are always impressed by the service we receive from receptionists at Premier Inns. This chap, however, was a disappointment. He was in such a hurry and spoke to us so quickly we could hardly understand a word! Not a good greeting at all.

Restaurant was full and we hadn't been asked in advance if we wanted to book, which we usually are . . . but we ate Beefeater Food in the bar and Beefeater Food is Beefeater food. I do resent paying money for any food that I could cook better myself . . . so if I am going to pay I would rather pay for decent food - but we had had a long journey and were tired.

Then there was the bedroom! WOW - huge, clean smart What a treat!! Would have happily lived there for a while . . . so ask for 120.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the new wing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Annette F, Manager at Premier Inn Stevenage North Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for leaving us your review. I am aware you have had a problem with the receptionist on both your visits and hope your next check in is a better experience for you.
We are happy you enjoyed your new room.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Conveniently located close to J8 of the A1M, with plenty of parking space. Stayed here for a 5 night break visiting various places in the area and found the usual Premier Inn efficiency and comfort. Our initial greeting and check in from the receptionist, Annette, was cheerful & helpful, and indeed she remained so throughout our stay, making us feel like guests, not just customers.

We had a large room with a brand new double bed, a long dressing/work table and a chaise longue by the window. The bathroom was a good size and immaculate, although the shower controls took some getting used to. Reasonable drawer/hanging space.

Being on a busy dual carriageway and next to an A & E hospital we thought it might be noisy but the double glazing kept all noise out, while the room remained at a comfortable temperature. Our room (105) just had a view of the hedge at the back but this added to the tranquillity somehow!

Our many previous Premier Inn stays have always had an integral restaurant or a Table Table / Brewers Fayre pub next door. This one has a Beefeater Grill, which we found less appealing, both for evening meal and breakfast (see separate review).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Annette F, Manager at Premier Inn Stevenage North Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind review, we are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.
Kingston upon Hull
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had a number of overnight stays here in the last year. It's quite a small place, though undergoing extention - a bit more like a motel than a hotel. This is one of the few Premier Inns I've found that doens't have an integral restaurant; instead, there's a pub across the carpark where breakfast is served and evening meals can be had. As a pub, the restaurant does attract some non-resident custom so tends to be fairly busy. If you want your evening meal here, book a table in advance to make sure you get the time you want. The advantage though is that you can also sit in the bar and have a quiet pint....or two.

Although the carpark is open to the public, you can usually get parked but make sure you display a ticket (from Reception) in the car during office hours all you'll get clamped and charged for parking.

As with all 'Premier', the rooms are clean and well furnished and those I've stayed in have all been a good size - plenty of space to work in the evening or relax if you prefer. The staff in the accommodation and the pub are polite, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving us your review. We do advise you get a pass for your dashboard however if you do get a ticket it can be cancelled at reception. The cars will not be clamped. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Situated on a very busy dual-carriageway leading from J8 of the A1(M) into the town centre, next to the Coreys Mill Beefeater Grill (see separate listing) near a large Sainsbury's and adjacent to the Lister Hospital.

This was the first Premier Inn where the cheerful receptionist told me (and another young family when I passed through Reception later in the evening) that extra tea and coffee items would be available on request if required. I was told that I had been allocated the best room on the first foor in the new extension. There is a lift to the two upper floors, although the staircase is no problm without luggage.

Whether the room (120) was in a 'new' extension or not, it was very large with a couch, which could obviously be made up as an extra bed, it was standard Premier Inn.- very clean; free 30 minutes of wi-fi; tea and coffee making materials; Freeview TV and Radio; hairdryer - but no shaver point - but with a huge fan as there is only a room heating unit installed. However, I did find the bed particularly hard for this hotel chain. Maybe as was in the new extension, it was, therefore, also new and will get softer with use.

Although the air-conditioning appeared to be off, there was still a low hum coming from the vent throught the night and, despite double glazed windows, as the room faced the main road, there was a low rumble of traffic throughout the night, with the occasional emergency vehicle with their 'twos' going. I would imagine that other rooms would be totally quiet and, as long as you are not a light sleeper, then this room would be ideal.

Room Tip: Book r5ooms in advance online for the best prices.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for leaving us your kind review, we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here on several different nights during the early spring when I was working away from home. I booked during a promotional 'sale' event which meant the price was very, very reasonable - a big consideration for a freelancer who can't bill her stays to a company account! I have previously booked a different budget hotel when working in this area but, having stayed here, would definitely consider using it again, even without the sale prices.

The rooms were standard Premier Inn quality - which means they were modern, spotlessly clean, reasonably spacious and with very comfortable beds. The hotel is very conveniently located, just a few minutes drive from the A1, although I found I needed to leave plenty of time in the morning as there is quite a lot of traffic congestion in the road leading back to the junction during rush hour. I didn't use the restaurant so can't comment on that.

My only gripe is that they don't seem to have a policy for dealing with lost property - or, if they do have, it isn't being followed. When I got home after my first stay I realised that I'd left my mobile phone charger plugged in at the desk in the room. I telephoned the hotel straight away and the young male receptionist said that, oh yes, they get 'loads' of chargers left behind. He said when the cleaners found them they bagged and put the room number on them but he didn't think they'd had one handed in that day.

When I went back the following week I mentioned the charger again and the young man let me through to the office behind the reception area to look in the lost property box. There were perhaps a dozen chargers in it, one or two of which were bagged (but not labelled), but most of which were just tangled up with other odd bits of lost property. None of the chargers were mine so I can only think that, if indeed 'loads' of them are left behind, they are just thrown away.

I realise that, as a budget chain, Premier Inn is not going to make the same effort to reunite lost property with its owner as a more expensive hotel, or a little guest house, would. However, it really would not be difficult to bag items, labelled with the date and room number (a quick look on the bookings' system would also give a name) and then keep them for a set period, e.g. one month, to give the owner a chance to reclaim them. Hence the reason why, in spite of the friendliness of the staff, I have given this hotel a low rating for service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Annette F, Manager at Premier Inn Stevenage North Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for leaving us your review we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I have spoken to both the houskeepiers and reception in regards to lost property. I am sorry your charger wasnt found. I hope it hasnt put you off from using Premier Inn in the future.
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Very comfortable stay. Standardized hotel, but no fuss, all clean, very comfortable bed. No fuss check-in, easy to book on the internet, with confirmation and reference dispatch as you prefer e.g. phone, email etc. No need to print out anything. Friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Annette F, Manager at Premier Inn Stevenage North Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind review we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at Stevenage North.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenage
Premier Inn Stevenage Central Hotel
#5 of 11 in Stevenage
Ibis Stevenage Centre
Ibis Stevenage Centre
#9 of 11 in Stevenage

Been to Premier Inn Stevenage North Hotel? Share your experiences!