“good rooms, shame about the 'free' breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Stevenage

Holiday Inn Express Stevenage
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Braunton, United Kingdom
“good rooms, shame about the 'free' breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have recently stayed in the above hotel, and would like to pass on my experience.
the room, bed, duvet, pillows, shower and general cleanliness were all top notch, very impressed. also the cleaners were fast and efficient.
however, the breakfast buffet completely let the whole visit down.
the brochure says 'free' breakfast. obviously the costs are incorporated in the room prices, and I think the hotel would do much better just lowering the cost of the rooms, and charging for breakfast, if people want it.
the sausages were luke warm and poor quality, there wasn't any choice of eggs, or vegetables with hot breakfast. the crossants were stale, muffins inedible, bread for toasting too thin, and no trays, so you had to walk back and forth to collect your food and drinks. the coffee was amazing, and for me, made up for lack of food, but my family were not impressed. do yourself a favour, and just opt for outside brekky!
the card key is very sensitive too, so has to be re-programmed over and over again, allowing entry into your room!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christian_Holfve, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
May I sincerely apologise for the fact that you have been given cause to contact us regarding your visit to the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage.

The quality of our food and service is of paramount importance to us and I was therefore very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction. We make every effort to ensure food is promptly delivered and at the correct temperature and quality, so that our guests can enjoy our food at its best.

We pride ourselves on the standards of food and service we provide and on this occasion we have let you and ourselves down. I am extremely sorry that the quality of service you received was not to your satisfaction. I fully appreciate how upsetting this must have been for you.

I have discussed the issues you raised with my Team Members during our shift meeting and I have strongly reinforced the systems and procedures we have to avoid this happening again in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Bergen op Zoom, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and we did find It a bit warm and noisy in our room on The ground level. We overheared The kitchencrew cleaning up in The evening and preparing breakfast in The morning. We stayed just below The kitchen in room 9. Parking is very public and we were a bit stressed about that because we had The car packed for a camptrip. Good breakfast!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Spot1647
Christian_Holfve, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage.

At the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us and I am very sad to hear we didn't meet your standards I will raise all your points with my team

Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed overnight on 12th July 2014 as part of a coach trip to see a show in London . It was part of the package that we had a hotel on the outskirts of London.
The place was very clean and comfortable.I requested a ground floor disabled room and was carered for.
The evening meal provided was like a ready meal and rather bland and tasteless whilst the starter and dessert was fine. We had to choose from a list with not much variety.Shall we say it was adequate as we were all tired and hungry.
It has a bar/lounge/diner very clean and relaxing.Continental breakfast buffet style was available in the morning and was lots better than expected.
The hotel is in the centre of town and a Witherspoons is close by if you wanted to dine out.I would stay again as the hospitality was very good and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Any floor really unless disabled then groun floor is ideal but they do have a lift.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Christian_Holfve, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, July 20, 2014

At the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us and I am very happy to hear you found our rooms to be comfortable and to your needs

Ankara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in July 2014. It's location is close to the train station (5 minute walk), shops and restaurants. Room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was decent. Staff was nice. It is pricey but what hotel in the London area isn't?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christian_Holfve, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, July 18, 2014

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We used this hotel as a stopover before travelling into central London by train the next day, (£6.70 to park for most of the day at the nearby train station, £20 each for anytime return tickets to Kings Cross - with 5 of us that combination was much cheaper and more convenient than travelling further south to park and stay in central London).
Unexpected closures of the A1 meant we arrived very late, we still found a metered space at the rear of the hotel (free until 8.30am the next day) and we were greeted cheerfully by the reception staff. While other reviewers may have had a poor experience with staff, we certainly did not, they were friendly and helpful despite it being so late.
Only minor gripe is that despite booking family rooms, none of these had bedding for the sofabeds. This has happened in other chains too, so I guess it is common practice to keep the extra bedding in their linen store until customers ask for it. This just meant we had a short delay before the sofabed was ready for use.
Other than that general point about family rooms, the stay was short, good value and exactly what you'd expect, which is to me the strongest point of HIE as a brand - it is very consistent and reliable. You'd need a good reason to choose to stay in Stevenage (as it seems a very unremarkable place) but if you did then the HIE will probably be all that you need.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Christian_Holfve, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, July 17, 2014

We look forward to seeing you again soon
Leicester England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here on the weekend of Sonisphere, as a result the hotel was pretty busy. The staff were exceptionally warm and welcoming and set us up for a great weekend. There was a basic breakfast available but we didnt try it, favouring a full fry from the adjacent Witherspoons.

the rooms were as youd expect in this level of hotel, practical, functional and clean. Parking is available for a reduced rate in the nearby long stay car park.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

We look forward to seeing you again soon
West Country
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I used this place recently on business and my wife came with me as an IHG member I would have expected better having stayed in numerous hotels in this group, staff not interested when booking in just like a factory line, next. Yes they were busy but polite they were not, one does not expect this from IHG If I go to that area I will choose the Holiday Inn which was not available at the time. Would not stay here again, would not recommend.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RicRicardo

The quality of our service is of paramount importance to us and I was therefore very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction.

We pride ourselves on the standards of service we provide and on this occasion we have let you and ourselves down. I am extremely sorry that the quality of service you received was not to your satisfaction. I fully appreciate how upsetting this must have been for you.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience and upset caused. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.