“February 2014”

Holiday Inn Express Stevenage
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
“February 2014”
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Can't complain due to the price but definitely needs a renovation as the rooms are very dated. The bathroom was more like a public toilet but was fine for one night! My partner and I woke up too late for breakfast but checkout was quick and everything ran smoothly except our key card not working to start off with.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Christian_Holfve, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for your comments and feed back it is always nice to here guests comments. All our rooms are scheduled for a refurbishment in the next year we have had a soft refurbishment of our top floor at the end of last year. I am happy your check out was quick and every thing went well I will pass these comments on to my staff
l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Holiday Inn & Holiday Inn Express are my first choice when staying away for business as you know you get a good experience as standard. Unfortunately, this time fell way below my expectations. Car parking - the hotel has no car park itself but has an agreement with Matalan over the road for free parking, unless you have been into the hotel you do not know this so I had already forked out more money for a carpark and lumped my bags over. Cleaning - there was black and red marks on the seal around the shower tray (looked like mildew). Noise - my room (101) backed onto the breakfast area, which they decided would be a great idea to setup at 4:30am by banging around for approx 30 mins. Checkout - "How was your stay?" was the question posed by the receptionist..."Not good due to x,y,z" my response. "Oh sorry about that" her reply. Would I return? Yes, but in a different room, knowing where I can park!

Room Tip: Avoid 101 at all costs!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AnthonyHayllar
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear AnthonyHayllar,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I wanted to spend a couple of days in London but didn't want to pay crazy prices in half-term. This hotel is barely 5 minutes' walk from Stevenage station, on the East Coast mainline, so perfect for us a budget stay half an hour from London by train.

The area around the hotel didn't feel particularly lively at 6 o'clock on a Friday night, I'm not sure where we would have gone to eat if we'd needed to. (There are a couple of big supermarkets nearby so could easily have stocked up on snacks etc). The hotel staff were welcoming and friendly, the room was clean and made good use of the space and I was very pleased to have a quiet night's sleep given it looked as if some guests were planning a night out on the tiles!

Breakfast was included in the room rate so I don't feel particularly short-changed that it was pretty poor quality. The toast was fine but the scrambled eggs were awful, and this was when breakfast had only just started being served.

I noticed that some of the other reviews mention problems with hot water; I had no problems but I did shower before 7 a.m.

I can see us using this as a base to reach London again, it was extremely good value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Christian_Holfve, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a fantastic review, I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be a great base for travelling in to London the train station is only 5 minutes from the hotel and a trip to London take 20 minutes. I am also very pleased to hear you found the staff friendly and Welcoming as we always aim to give the best customer service.

we look forward to seeing you again soon
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Hotel was clean, tidy and comfortable. A very relaxed atmosphere. The Michael McIntyre lookalike on front desk was very helpful, as was Maisie (or Paisley?). Very central, close to all amenities. Couldn't have asked for a better place to stop for a cheap and cheerful night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Christian_Holfve, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay.

We pride ourselves on the standards of service and I am so happy to here we delivered this on your recent stay it is always nice to know what we are doing well

See you again soon
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Felt the Hotel needs an upgrade. The Manager wasn't all that helpful although the 2 ladies on the desk were. We needed to find a laundry and one of the ladies printed us a map off the computer. Parking was an issue, even arriving at the entrance, there were yellow lines - no where just to park to let passengersand luggage out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Christian_Holfve, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay with us, I am sorry to here there were aspects of your stay you were unhappy with. Unfortunately we don't have a drop of point for guests as we are a town centre hotel but we do have parking at the hotel and also have 2 other local car parks witch are free for guest to use. I am happy to hear that you found the ladies on reception helpful
look forward to seeing you again soon
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a coach trip holiday.

Evening meal was very poor! Cold soup, no vegetarian option, breakfast was average. Dining room too small for hotel.

No hot water for a shower at night, other guests said the same, just aired water. Good thing about this hotel is the clean room and comfy beds, apart from that would not recommend!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Louise B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Louise B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the food selections prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Whiteley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I rarely have to write a negative review on here, but I guess it was bound to happen at some point!

We stayed at the holiday inn express prior to attending a funeral. My husband arrived first and when he checked in we were given a disabled room, no sofa with a "wet room". The holiday inn site had let us pick a specific type of room so we picked a double with a sofa, as we knew we'd have some hanging about to do in the morning. He was told that was all they had, so it appears that their booking system has some flaws. No tea and coffee in the room so back down to reception for that.

The hotel is situated very central and parking can be done by voucher in your car in matalan carpark, but this ends at 9am then you have to pay, it's a shame they can't sort something out till 11 which is checkout time.

The "wet room" was pretty shabby, mould on the shower curtain, probably because after using the shower the room never dried out for our whole stay, inadequate ventilation?

Random stain on the sheet which I thought my husband had done with red wine, only to find he hadn't opened the bottle!! Comfortable bed, quiet room, apart from the air con/heating.

Breakfast is "free" with the room the breakfast room seemed to be full of workmen, painters etc all who seemed to be regulars. Asked for some soya milk for my cereal and was told I should have phoned ahead before I stayed? Something I've not come across before.

After breakfast we had some time to kill and needed to put money in the carpark in matalan! After our walk we went up to get showered and changed only to find there was no water!!! Can't say we were impressed when we checked out and found a note on the desk saying water would be cut off at 10am. Why was this note not put through the door? We had no idea until it was far too late. So for all these reasons we would never stay again, personally after using the toilet I like to wash my hands!

The staff were polite and unhelpful at the same time, it seemed they were well used to being told of issues and had the stock answers ready.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank The_5ims
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear The_Sims,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate to see the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenage
#6 of 11 in Stevenage
#5 of 11 in Stevenage
Needham House Hotel
Needham House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Wymondley

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stevenage? Share your experiences!