“Decent enough hotel”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Decent enough hotel”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The location was ideal, in that it wasn't too far from everything in the centre - but at the same time wasn't situated in the most desirable part of town. The staff were welcoming and the breakfast well above expectations compared to what you usually get in a hotel. The big chairs in the lounge area were brilliant to sink into with a book and a drink at the end of the night.

The room was pleasant with a good sized telly and bathroom, along with comfortable beds. Only concern would be that we requested a wake up call for 8:15 which didn't come, fortunately we'd woken up anyway. Still, a basic error that shouldn't have been made.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank discobadgers
Christian_Holfve, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear discobadgers,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Firstly allow me to apologise for you not receiving your wake up call. As you rightly said, this is a basic error and I will make sure all of my Front of House team are made aware.

We work extremely hard on customer service, and I'm glad to see that you had a pleasant experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Martin Reeves

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Being a regular Holiday Inn user and a Platinum member of the priority club card program, I decided to use up some points at the Holiday Inn Express in Stevenage as our daughter was playing in a tennis competitiuon nearby. We arrived on Saturday at 16:00 and firstly there was no where to park and we had to park in a nearby car park at the rate of £1:00 per hour!!! At Check in the staff were solem and unfriendly, when I asked about the parking I was abruptly informed that therewas no parking available at the hotel. I was greeted as a Platinum member and offered a complimentry bottle of water (25Cl between 4 of us) There was no upgrade offered and when I asked about complimentry Wi FI I was informed that it was free in the lobby!!
The hotel in tidy and clean but the rooms are very small. My biggest gripe of all was the bed. I use IHG hotels for the quality of the mattresses and I think this one had been missed when they were changed as it was an old sprung mattress that bowed in the middle and had to be the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on (room 504). we also only got 4 pillows for the 4 ot us and 3 towels. The hotel does light snacks and there is only the bar area to sit Not ideal for kids when the football is on!!!! All in all a bad experience.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn which is about 500 metres from this Express
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Christian_Holfve, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please allow me to apologise for the dissapointing experience you had while staying with us.

We take negative comments very seriously, and would like to discuss this further with you.

Please contact me on the email address below.

sgsm@hiexpressstevenage.co.uk
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I often stay here when working in and around London as it is close to Stevenage Station which has regular trains to central London taking about 25 mins.
This hotel is great value for money, rooms are clean and spacious and staff friendly.
There is no restaurant but snacks are available as are takeaway menus. The Medusa Restaurant is a 3 min walk away and they have an arrangement with the hotel where you can sign your bill to your room and settle up when you check out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you find the hotel good value.

We work hard with housekeeping and the front desk team, and it's good to hear that you had a positive experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

South Chailey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Right in centre of town but quiet. Breakfast plentiful and hot but would not want to be there with too many other people, not much space! Rooms adequate and beds comfy. Reception staff very helpful as parking a problem. Overall better than expected.

Room Tip: Ask for room opposite side of hotel to local nightclub!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, I'm glad to read that it was better than expected.

Guest feedback does not go un-noticed and as a positive result of yours, we now have a system in place that informs guests of our busy breakfast periods.

I hope that you will return to us in the future,

Otley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here on business recently and it was absolutely fine. Good value for money and the hotel is centrally located in Stevenage town centre.
The room was comfortable with a small double bed and a pull out sofa. There was an LCD TV with freeview channels and an en-suite shower room. The shower worked well.
It is around ten minutes walk to Stevenage railway station with frequent trains to London taking around 25 minutes. The bus station is just a couple of minutes walk from the hotel as is the new-town centre which has a large selection of shops.
Breakfast is included and it's ok.
Very good service at the reception desk and the bar too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Christian_Holfve, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and positive feedback.

We do benefit from being a town centre hotel, and being close to public transport links is a massive plus point for our guests.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Westport, Ireland
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed a couple of times in the last year - always good value and reasonably comfortable in the usual HI Express way. Breakfast is free but no great shakes. Surprised at lack of free wifi in the room but you can get it for free in the lobby in 30 minute blocks with a voucher. Snacks available but I got a take-away delivered (good Indian - cant remember the name) organised by reception and put on the hotel bill which was handy. Also just down the road from the bus stop for London and 5 mins from the train station. Works...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay, and your feedback.

I'm pleased to hear that you found our hotel good vaule. It is the 'Express' way to provide our guests with comfortable lodging options.

We do benefit from being a town centre location hotel with easy access to public transport, and I'm glad to hear that you agree.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I recently stayed here for budsiness I was arriving late so I let reception know the girl was Very polite and profession and stated that she's on all night which was a good thing. When arrived I greeted by a young girl she was welcoming and check in was nice and smooth. The rooms need updating but I was only here for 1 night air con take ages to warm up but was so tired I didn't notice it much . Breakfast is very basic need more choice. But overall my stay was ok I would say you have very good staff here professional , friendly thank you to young girl for helping me with my stuff

• Stayed January 2013
Christian_Holfve, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us.

I'm extremely please that you found my staff professional and friendly. As a group we work very hard on making sure our guests have the best experience possible.

A few of our rooms do need updating, the hotel now being 7 years old, these very few rooms have been neglected. However, requests have been made to Head Office to have these rooms re-vamped.

I hope that this will not stop you from staying with us again,