“Comfirtable and homely”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“Comfirtable and homely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Conveniently situated to the centre of Stevenage Old Town, The Abbington offered a traditional homely hotel with a comfortable twin room with ensuite shower room.
The hotel was well heated and extremely quite. I only stayed one night but enjoyed the stay immensely. The breakfast was excellent. Parking was convenient.and free. The owners were away and the caretaker manager had not got access to the bar but had been completely up front with that on our arrival. I have only one minor criticism that the bath towel did not cater for those of us with a larger build and I believe though Monogrammed, I would have preferred a bath sheet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Colwyn Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Clean, tidy hotel with welcoming staff. Good basic meal available quite late in the evening and a lovely breakfast. Late check in available. Easy to book. If you are a larger person it may pay to mention it as the ensuite in our room thou immaculatly clean was quite small. the room was a good size as was the bed. Good furnishings.

Room Tip: Limited outside space
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bbfoxgreen
Stonehouse, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked in for one night as we were attending a friend's wedding and didn't fancy the drive back to Gloucestershire the same day. On arrival we were taken round the back of the main hotel to an annexe where we were shown into our room. The room was large and contained a double bed and one single but the bathroom was little more than a cubby-hole, owing to the huge shower, and the floor of the bathroom was wet. We put it down to the room having just been cleaned. Apart from the amazingly hideous wardrobe there wasn't much else to see, the tea and coffee making facilities were clean and well stocked, but the bathroom sink was a bit too small to fill the kettle up more than a bit. We got changed and went out.
After we got back about half past midnight we went back to our room and there was the sound of a fire alarm bleeping and no power in the room at all. My husband had to go to reception and summon someone to come and look at it. The person that came along then had a heated, loud conversation via mobile with the owner who was on holiday! He was quite abrupt on the phone and whilst entertaining wasn't hugely professional. He managed to reset the breaker and the lights came back in, only to go off again about five minutes after he had left. Luckily my husband had watched the man reset the breaker and was able to do it himself. We had no problem with they power after that.
However the bathroom floor was still wet and we saw that it was caused by the toilet leaking. At this stage we were too tired to do anything about it and just went to bed. We reported it in the morning when we went for breakfast, which, I have to say, was excellent.
The staff were all very helpful and apologetic, but I think they should have known about the leaky toilet, especially as I was told that the annexe had only been refurbished a month ago!
I don't think our experience with the toilet and power is indicative but it did spoil our stay somewhat. I'd give the Abbington another try. I don't think my husband would though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Last May I made a business trip to Stevenage to attend a meeting. Although the organizing people recommended some options at downtown, close to the train station, I preferred to stay out of that area and I picked this beautiful cottage, at 10 minutes walk from Old town.
To get to the hotel you can at first take a taxi from the Stevenage station (5 minutes drive) from where trains to London or north UK destinations (I went from there to Edinburgh) depart.
You can arrive to Old town walking through nice sidewalks, under bridges with plenty of flowers and very secure. Old town is very nice to visit and has several lunch, cafes and dinner options. The hotel has nice, clean and antique rooms with remodeled bathrooms. Price includes two options breakfast very well served and if you don't want to have dinner outside at nights they also offer dinner at their restaurant area. People is very courteous. And WiFi is free. I really enjoyed the stay there.

Room Tip: The room for one can allocate two people.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
hertfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I booked this hotel on behalf of my brother and his wife for their wedding night. We required somewhere local following the wedding in Stevenage old town. After seeing the website(good photos!) booked a double room for £65. On arrival my brother and his wife arrived, still dressed in their wedding outfits were told they had no recollection of the booking!! My brother was shown an available room, a twin room(not really suitable for wedding night!!!) it was basic and nothing like the rooms on the website. The owner was unhelpful and had been drinking! It was not the start that was planned and envisaged. The hotel has a nice exterior with beautiful flowers, but I would urge people to look else where if considering booking this hotel!!

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank linzilou6
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

The room was small and average, but the bed was comfy and it did the job! The hot was cold and the cold was hot but once I figured that out, it was fine. The reason why I am giving the hotel 4 out of 5 is because they were kind enough to let us leave our car for another night as we headed to London. They also called a taxi for us, and the breakfast was nice and included in the price. The price was fairly reasonable. However, I would probably pay about £15.00 less if I was paying what I thought it was worth! Location was okay for us. We walked to the train station from the hotel which was about a half an hour walk and a taxi to Letchworth cost us about £13. It was ideal for our short one night stay. If you want to support local business rather than staying at a travelodge/premier inn, I would recommend saying here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in a family room in a bungalow at the back of the car park.
You won't find the photos on the website because if you did you would never book this hotel.
The main door to the bungalow did not have a lock on it so it is open at night, anyone could walk in.
Our room was dark with lots of cheap looking dark furniture, a four poster bed with some dirty looking lace on it. The bedding appeared clean but on top of this was a fussy old lace cover and lace pillows. These had not been washed as there were stains on them.
The carpet was straight out of the 70's and was so patterned you couldn't tell if it was clean or not.
The bathroom was certainly not clean, the bath side was cracked and the shower was useless.
Are you getting the picture?
The most disgusting room I have ever stayed in, makes Travelodge look like the Ritz.
The breakfast was nice and the lady that served it was friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family