“Nice Hotel Close to the Old Town”
Review of Gate

Gate
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Romford
“Nice Hotel Close to the Old Town”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just back from a night's stay at the Gate Hotel with my partner. We had planned a night out with friends who live in Stevenage Old Town (as did my partner until very recently) and decided to stay over so that we could both have a few drinks. Tried to book the Cromwell but it was fully booked so went with the Gate. Was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor but in the event we found the hotel to be very nice. Check in was quick and easy, parking is available, the lady on Reception was very polite and the room was lovely and clean. We slept very well as the bed was lovely and comfortable and we would definitely return. We didn't stay for breakfast but only as there are so many places in the Old Town to eat and we were meeting our friends again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GellybeanRomford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Great budget hotel! The rooms & communal areas are very clean, the staff are very polite & the breakfast is very good. Hotel is also in a great location, the high street & train station with direct trains to London are on your doorstep! Well recommended.My stay was very pleasant. The room was larger than I expected for the price and very comfortable and modern.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights. The room is clean, comfortable, warm and quiet with on-site parking. The lady manager is friendly. The lady is not always at reception but she responds when you contact her using via phone located at reception.

The hotel is located in a great location close to main roads and Tesco!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DrRaid
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

the hotel was deserted when we arrived. we had previously been told ( the night before checkin) that now the bar/ restaurant would not be open due to it being quiet. this we found bizzare.. Room was not as advertised, quite basic.... not the cleanest. It didnt help that there was some sort of alarm going off constantly outside.when we finally found someone to ask what it was, they just shrugged and said " not heard that before". We did ask for some ice / or wine bucket for wine as we bought some because there was no bar open, this never arrived. the place felt like the marie celeste, and not at all warm and welcoming. i have stayed in the most basic of hotels and had better service... definitely not recommended .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Stevenage hotels

London
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We arrived at the gate an was greeted by an Italian lady. She seemed pleasant and we paid for our room including breakfast. We were told that breakfast would be served at 10.30-1040am in our rooms in the morning. We were not given directions to our room so we started up the stairs to find it. The woman called after us and explained how to lock to very rickety and frankly unsafe door to the room. We had a shower which literally dropped water and went out for the evening. On returning there was no-one on reception so we rang the bell an stood outside for 5 minutes waiting to be buzzed in. The next morning we went to make a cup of tea and the only tea available was green tea which was over a year out of date. My boyfriend had to fill the kettle up by the dripping shower as the it wouldn't fit under the tap. We had a phone call at 11am in which the Italian woman rudely told me that breakfast was running late and would be 10 minutes. 15 minutes later breakfast arrived and was dumped on our too small table smothered in grease and cold bread (I wouldn't even call it toast). After this we just wanted to leave so we packed up and left wanting to complain. Again there was no-one on reception and we left without seeing a sole. Don't stay in this hotel even if it's just for a night!

• Stayed August 2012
Waltham Abbey
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Although hotel room was nice, our overall, overnight stay could've been better! For a start there wasn't anyone at reception, you had to ring a number to alert someone. I called the relevant number but there wasn't any answer, so I took to searching the hotel myself. I eventually found a lady with curlers in her hair and asked if anyone was checking people in, she muttered something then followed me downstairs. When I was checking in she moaned about other guests staying late, but personally i couldn't give a monkeys about anyone else!
She was sort of polite, but I didn't take much notice of her as I just wanted to get in my bloody room. She gave me my key but didn't tell me where it was, there wasn't a lift, so I don't know how disabled people would manage!
My wife and I wanted a cup of tea in the morning but the small cartons of milk were 3 weeks out of date!!!
Again there wasn't anyone at reception when we checked out so I just threw the key over the counter and left.
In my opinion, if I was to give anyone advice of where not to stay in Stevenage, then this would be it.

CRAP!

Room Tip: don't know
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CraigWalthamAbbey
Buxton
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This Hotel is gloomier than a Swiss Clinic - Newish hotel with a 1970's faded, careworn unloved hotel. But that's not the worst of it. It's poorly maintained and dirty - very dirty. See pics. The staff attitude is mirrored by the state of the property. I have never stayed in a worse place. This is run by an Italian family that seem to have lost heart in the property and the business otherwise they would not treat paying guests this badly. My bathroom was not cleaned imagine what the kitchens are like - My verdict - disgusting

Room Tip: Rooms on Gate Road side would be quieter but not by much
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business