“Lovely, overnight stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely, overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a friends wedding reception. We received a very warm welcome. The room was nice. We enjoyed our stay here. In Stevenage old town, a good place to explore. Very good value for money.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GMCromwell, General Manager at Cromwell Hotel Stevenage, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review. The team and I are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the wedding you attended.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ceri Trela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Ipswich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

56 of us have just spent an amazing weekend at the Cromwell Hotel, all arrangements were made direct with the hotel. The location of the hotel in the old town, high street, is ideal for a range of shops, pubs and restaurants. The new town shopping centre is just, 15 min walk away.
We found the recently refurbished accommodation perfect for our needs, with a range of single, twin and double rooms. The package included a 3 course dinner and a self serve breakfast with a election of choices to suit ever bodies taste.
I leave the staff until last who really made the weekend, they provided genuine British hospitality, nothing was too much for them and they were willing to wait for their guests to finish, be it in the restaurant or at the bar. Many thanks from all of us.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GMCromwell, General Manager at Cromwell Hotel Stevenage, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your Tripadvisor review. All comments are noted and acted upon to ensure that we continue to provide a high standard of service.

It really is great to receive your positive feedback. I have passed these compliments onto the team who were very grateful and pleased to hear they had contributed to your comfortable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, hopefully next year for your group reunion once again.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Five of us looking forward to a nice three course Saturday evening meal at The Cromwell High Street Stevenage and chat over a weekend we had had away. We happened to be the only people in the restaurant all evening. It was like a tomb. Sadly The waiters etc had about as much idea of serving and clearing of a table as flying a kite. The meals left a lot to be desired. One chicken meal at £12.95 pre done only had two pieces of chicken it it. One swallow and hay presto meal finished. The prawn cocktail was very small and didn't push the taste buds. The chips potions, which came in small white bowls just about had a handful of chips and if not with the meal the side order at £2.50 was excessive. One could only say that the coffee when served was hot. The side plates from the starters had remained on the table throughout and some empty glasses had not been removed from the table. Having been served with the coffee we didn't see any trace of a waiter or member of staff for the next 35 minutes until one of our party went looking for a staff member. We were not asked if we wanted further coffee or drinks in that time. It was a total shambles and someone needs to get a firm grip of this situation and get it sorted. One can see why the place was empty. My colleagues and I wont be returning to the Cromwell any time soon. Of the 70 places I have visited this year and 14 hotels this comes rock bottom for service and the food isn't far behind. Years ago the Cromwell was a well respected and enjoyable place to visit sadly that has faded.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of the Cromwell Hotel. I was concerned to hear you did not enjoy your experience.

I have noted your feedback regarding the menu and we are launching an exciting new menu concept in the New Year in line with our restaurant refurbishment.

I investigated your comments with the team and understand from both the Head Chef and the Duty Manager that every effort was made to resolve your dissatisfaction. Extra brioche was served with the starter, extra chicken was offered with the main course but declined and I was pleased to hear from the team that the ‘hot’ coffee was offered complimentary and accepted.

I apologise if the food and service did not meet your expectations and once again, thank you for your comments.

Ceri Trela

Travelers are raving about these Stevenage hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had our wedding reception here at the hotel and it was fantastic!! The staff were brilliant and very helpful. The wedding planner Charlotte was superb and she was with me every step of the way to ensure everything was right and perfect, along with her colleugues on the day.
The hotel is beautiful and old fashioned, we were able decorate the room the morning of, I was able to get ready in the bridal suite. The food was lovely and they even catered for my friend who is celiac. All the bedrooms had been refurbished and looked lovely and fresh and great value for money. We had an exceptional time! Thank you so much for making our day so perfect!!
Mr & Mrs Smith.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Lisa S
Thank you for choosing to hold your wedding with us and for your Tripadvisor review. Thank you for your kind comments. Charlotte and the team were so pleased to hear you enjoyed the day and that they contributed to such an important and memorable occasion.

Congratulations and I trust the team will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed at the Cromwell some time ago prior to its takeover and found it a little dated but the location on the Old town high street made it a perfect location so I decided to return. What a difference now! Rooms have been upgraded to a high standard and as a business customer excellent free wifi is a bonus. Unlike the chain hotels the Cromwell has character and history and the staff are first class. Highly recommended.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our property. It's great news to hear that you can see the difference in the standard of our product since the refurbishment started. The team and I are very proud of the changes and it's so nice to hear they are appreciated and noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have always found the staff helpful. It's in a lovely location, very convenient for everything. Of course, you can't really have 'traditional' and oldy worldy at the same time, so it depends on your view, but it has the modern convieniences you need such as Wifi and offers very good value in my opinion.

Steve Paul

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
It is really great to hear such positive feedback about our hotel and the service you received when you have stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to review our property and I will share your comments with the team.

Studland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I agree that the staff were friendly and helpful. However, the hotel was tired and the food, frankly, awful! I had a cold shower the first morning because no hot water. The room was cold but the heating was turned on eventually . When I complained about no hot water, the advice was to run it for a bit. By the end of my stay, I'd got it right-it took exactly 10 mins for the water to run hot! Who has that kind of time when they are there to work! The breakfast was the only redeeming feature of the food. Anybody ever had a Caesar salad with a whole chicken leg plonked on the top of some salad? If you like that idea, here's the place to trial it!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for your review of The Cromwell Hotel.

I was concerned to hear your experience on this occasion was less than satisfactory.

I have investigated the hot water and personally tested the shower in the room you stayed in and it appears to reach a hot temperature in less than one minute. There were refurbishment works taking place on other bedrooms in that corridor during your stay which could have resulted in a lack of hot water during your stay. I apologise for this situation, please rest assured this is not the normal standard we provide. The refurbishment works on all bedrooms are now complete.

I’m sorry that the Chicken Caesar Salad was not to your liking. The chicken we use is a supreme (breast) which has a small bone attached and is cooked fresh and presented on top of the salad.

Thank you again for your feedback and should you require accommodation again in Stevenage please contact me directly and I will personally ensure your stay is comfortable and hassle-free.