“My Wedding Reception and 2 Night Stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cromwell Hotel Stevenage

Cromwell Hotel Stevenage
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Arlesey, England, United Kingdom
“My Wedding Reception and 2 Night Stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at The Cromwell on the 18th of July on my own the night before my wedding. The staff were amazing and very kind as I think they could see I was a little stressed. I had a very nice dinner in the bar with my mum and then back to the hotel room. The day of wedding the 19th, the staff were just amazing, everything I ordered from the room i.e. food and drink was brought to me straight away and the staff were so friendly and happy.
The main reason for my review is to just say how great The Cromwell hotel was at hosting our wedding reception:
- Charlotte Barrett, Emma and Amy - you guys were so helpful and kind to us and Charlotte you were there every step of the way answering ever question we had. Its a shame you couldn't be on the day but Emma and Amy looked after me very well. Amy the evening manager was an absolute god send, she was very professional and looked after my guest really well.
- The Bar Staff - Mitch and Josh were the best boys ever and kept everyone happy at the bar. The bar was also great because it is in the actual reception hall so everyone can stay in one place and be happy.
- Night Porter - I cant remember his name but he was fantastic and did a great job at taking down all my decorations nicely and keeping them safe for me even when I was drunkenly asking him "what are you doing with that, what are you doing with this"
- Reception staff - I have to say everyone was fantastic and really friendly. First impressions count and the reception staff give the impression you are staying somewhere nice and professional.
- The Bridal Suite - ok so its not the most glamorous bridal suite however it is very reasonably priced and one night came with the wedding reception price 'package'. I will say though that the room I stayed 124 was very spacious (big enough for me and my friend to get ready without feeling stuffy or trapped so to speak) There were two big windows so it was very airy as well. It was also on the first floor and not too far from the hall so me and my husband could stumble there in no time after too much drink.
Just again a big thank you for giving us the best party ever and making it a day to remember forever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bromley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My partner and I have just spent a night at the Cromwell.The room was very shabby,there was a big cobbwebb above the wardrobe, the shower sprayed over the bath,we could see this had always happened as the carpet out side was taped down with gaffer tape where the water had soaked it .The bed was clean but we were only left with one large towel between the 2 of us..All night we could hear a generater,so it was a very disturbed night.I would say to anyone stay at the PREMIER INN, which is much better value for money;

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jam552

Travelers are raving about these Stevenage hotels

Newquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel. It was recommended by a friend. The hotel was nothing special - but was overpriced. The rooms were clean and tidy. The breakfasts were OK but again nothing special. If you want to stay in an unremarkable, but overpriced, hotel then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Colchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed 3 nights with Breakfast and Dinner with a party of friends. Good location, parking & room. The staff & food was excellent. The new owners are refurbishing all the rooms and really seem to care about the quality of your stay. Good Value!

Room Tip: A room at the back - over looking car park was very good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lincolnshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I'll be honest, I don't look for much in a hotel. A clean room with a bed and a telly is fine. Actually, as luck would have it I'd booked here because I had got an exceptionally good rate.

The staff were wonderfully friendly and gave me two codes for the free Wi-Fi (one per device), explained the way to the room. Many reviewers have described it as like a maze or a rabbit warren, but to be honest, that's charming compared to the corporate boxes that most modern hotels are. It wasn't difficult to find the room as they are all well signposted, and I had a little explore to see what else I could see.

The room was a good size, with a nice flat screen telly and a lot of channels. Bathroom was bright with free toiletries. OK, so it was a little jaded around the edges, but that really doesn't matter when all you want to do is sleep.

There was a wedding party on, which you could hear from the street. It was just downstairs but I couldn't hear it from the room.

The hotel is in Old Stevenage, walking distance from the train station if you don't mind a bit of a yomp. Stevenage is a thoroughly horrible looking town with a concrete precinct surrounded by dual carriageways, but Old Stevenage is charming with a wide range of restaurants and pubs. I ate at the Waterfall, almost opposite and then drank at the standing-room-only Wetherspoons two doors down. For a night out, then, it's perfectly placed. Likewise, if you're only passing through (maybe flying out from Luton the following day) it's a nice place to while away the evening.

Yes, the Cromwell's old, but it's got charms and is probably nothing like the Holiday Inn in the town centre where you know exactly what to expect.

But then, if you stay at the Holiday inn, you can look forward to dual carriageways and underpasses instead of the "village" feel of Old Stevenage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Having changed hands since I booked and with reviews suggesting that refurbishment was badly needed, I was slightly apprehensive about staying here but I enjoyed my stay. Yes the rooms were tired, the floor dipped in unexpected places(!) and it was very warm (a fan would have been nice) but they were clean. Staff were friendly and it's in a lovely location in Stevenage Old town with almost any type of food that you could want within walking distance. Refurbishment has started and will probably make this a really great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

First impressions count, even though you receive a warm welcome from the staff, you get lost in the maze trying to locate your room, my bathroom floor had a puddle and a musty smell (leaving me with the impression it wasn't cleaned) and the shower head is providing the background constant drip, drip, drip - even heard with the door shut and the tv on. The window wouldn't shut leaving the room cold and not very secure, I reported both the next morning then went to breakfast where you could tell the dishes weren't checked after being taken out of the washer - luckily there are lots of good restaurants and takeouts on the street outside. On day 2 and although the window is shut the shower is still dripping, may seem like a small thing but its so annoying when you are trying to study. On the plus side The rooms are big, they have wi-fi and the bed is ok, personally wouldn't choose to come again.

• Stayed June 2013