“Another excellent stay”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Luton, United Kingdom
“Another excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I enjoy staying at the Holiday Inn Stevenage, I always have a good welcome, all of the staff members are friendly and courteous. On my latest visit I booked a standard room for two nights and received an upgrade to an Executive Room being a IHG Platinum Member.

I had room service from the Destinations Restaurant and I was impressed with the meal, I had the Stuffed Mushroom with an incredibly tasty filling of feta cheese, courgettes and tomatoes, an excellent meal and compliments to the chef indeed.

This is a delightful hotel and hope to keep returning.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Gerard R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for the review of your most recent stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

I'm really pleased the team at the hotel continue to offer you a warm, friendly welcome and great food. Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the whole team, especially Reception, Head Chef and his team. As a valued loyal customer, I'm glad you benefitted from an Executive room upgrade during this visit.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel many times in the future.

Gerard Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Polish first
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night recently as part of a conference. The room was super clean and of a reasonable size. Generally you need to park over the road in the multi-storey but it is worth knowing that if you upgrade to an executive room you get a parking space on-site at the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised by the food, having read earlier reviews I was not expecting much. The menu us varied and all food looked good, mine was tasty too. Conference facilities are well organised and staff on-hand to assist. The cookies are wonderful! Lunch time buffet varied with hot and cold options. One downside- the room we were allocated, although large itself, was half of a larger room divided with a partition wall and you could hear noise from the adjoining room. Worth bearing in mind when booking.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KasSussex
Gerard R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage for a conference.

I'm pleased the venue met your expectations, especially with regards to bedroom cleanliness, food quality and the conference facilities.

Please rest assured that all your comments will be shared with the team so that we can continue to improve the service we offer.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Stevenage.

Pleine-Fougeres, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently attended the wedding of friends, being held in the church next to the Holiday Inn, Stevenage. Wedding guests came from far and wide, including, Austria, Finland, France, Jersey, and many parts of England. As the hotel offers a wedding package, the couple decided to hold the post ceremony gathering and evening reception at the Holiday Inn, where all the visiting guests were staying. I arrived at the hotel late afternoon on the Friday, and was welcomed by a friendly receptionist, who swiftly checked me in, and explained that I could not leave my car in the small but almost empty car park, as it is reserved for 'executive guests', but for an additional discounted fee of £40 for my two nights stay, I could upgrade to executive status. She went on to tell me that for £3:50, I could leave my car in the public parking opposite the hotel for the duration of my stay, which I opted to do. My car stayed in this car park for 36 hours, under the watchful eye of CCTV cameras, and remained totally unmolested.

My top floor room was very comfortable, and well appointed, with a huge bed, multi channel T.V, a decent sized bath room, large wardrobe, desk space, ironing facilities, safe, and coffee making facilities. The acoustic insulation in my room was not terribly good. Though on the 6th floor, I was constantly aware of traffic noise, doors banging shut and a young child crying periodically. I was rather surprised that in this day and age, the hotel is charging for WIFI, at the following rates; £5 for 1hr, £9:50 for 24 hrs, or £25 for 5 days. There is a Macdonald's less than 5 minutes walk away, in the neighbouring shopping precinct, where the wifi is free, and the coffee is better quality than the el cheapo coffee sachets in the room.

The bride and groom now husband and wife,everyone returned to the hotel for a cold buffet. I was delayed sorting out something, and returned to the hotel 20 minutes later, went to the bar to face a further 20 minutes to be served, only to discover that they had sold out of the cider I wanted. I opted for something similar, at the extortionate price of £6 (nice mark up). Not only had the bar run out of cider, but also run out of pound coins, thus my change came as a hand full of silver coinage. Rejoining the wedding party, I discovered the buffet was all gone, with the exception of a couple of dried up bits of sandwich. The Happy couple cut the cake, and then the staff cut it into slices, however they didn't plate up the slices, before disappearing, thus we had to go searching for staff in the the lobby, bar and finally the kitchens to get some action.

At the evening meal, for which everyone attending had selected their choices weeks earlier, I was delighted with my starter, and the mushroom carbonara main course was the best I have ever tasted. Unfortunately a further foul up came to light with the desserts. 24 people had ordered cheese cake, and 4 had ordered cheese. The hotel had prepared 24 cheese dishes and only 4 cheese cakes, which I consider to be an unacceptable and totally unprofessional error.

In conclusion, I believe that this hotel is grossly understaffed. I observed the one and only barman, having to do room service whilst the bar was almost full to capacity. I over heard a receptionist asking for a meal break mid evening as she had not eaten since morning, but was apparently refused, being told there was nobody available to cover for her. A lady whom I assume to be the restaurant manager, who was serving breakfast at 7am was still working at 10pm. Many of the serving staff, whilst very friendly and pleasant, seemed incapable of working on their own initiative, and needed to be directed to tables which needed serving or clearing. All in all, the operators and management of this establishment should be making good service the priority, rather than huge profit.

Would I stay in this hotel again? With an Hotel Ibis and a Premier Inn nearby, I have my doubts!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Gerard R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent attendance at a Wedding held at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

I'm sorry to learn that you encountered a mixed experience during your stay with us. On a positive note, I'm pleased you enjoyed the friendly welcome at Reception, comfortable room and overall the evening meal in Destinations Restaurant.

The hotel on site car parking is limited with only 18 spaces, so these are reserved for guest's staying in the Executive rooms as this is deemed the fairest way to allocate them. Alternatively, the hotel has discounted rates at the car parks directly opposite the hotel at £3.50 per exit. As you highighted, some guests staying in Executive rooms do not bring vehicles, which can occasionally lead to spaces remaining vacant overnight.

The hotel offers complimentary Wifi for all IHG Reward Club Elite members and any guests staying in an Execurtive room. This is being extended in January 2014 so that more guests can enjoye free internet.

The Afternoon tea that was served for the Wedding Reception was provided to the standard and quantity ordered for the event; I'm only sorry that you missed out on this part of the proceedings.

Please accept my apologies that the bar ran out of your favourite cider following a busy couple of days. All beverage prices are determined by the wholesale cost the hotel is charged, so unfortunately some drink prices seem quite high compared to others. Naturally, the price list is displayed at each bar so that the guest can make an informed choice.

I understand there was an issue with the number of desserts ordered for the evening meal, but despite this oversight this was soon remedied by the team on duty and the guests all seemed to enjoy their dinner experience.

Your coments regarding staffing levels for this particular event have been noted and will be reviewed with the Food and Beverage team.

Thank you for your constructive feedback as it allows us the opportunity to continually improve the service we offer.

England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

A group of us booked to stay here as attending an event in the hotel so we received a discount (£50 for twin room including breakfast) - such great value. Hotel is good quality and in a good location for the town - large rooms with nice bathrooms and very clean - couldn't have asked for anything better. Reception staff were friendly and polite and knowledgeable about the area and we used concierge service for ice and toothpaste- no charge.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor - not sure what other guests staying at the same time as our event so if yo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 532SDreview
Gerard R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

I'm delighted that your enjoyed the experience and that the hotel offered great value for money. Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team, especially the Reception staff who offered friendly, polite service with a good knowledge of the local area.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Stevenage and my team and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Bristol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

More like a Holiday Inn Express or some other budget hotel than a "proper" Holiday Inn. Rooms are comfortable but tiny. Airconditioning didn't work in mine and the window was locked shut, so it felt like a sauna after a couple of hours. Location is dreadful - there is absolutely nothing to do and nowhere to go locally. Not that you'd want to brave the mugger's oaradise of underpasses that is Stevenage. Breakfast was disappointing - sausages, bacon, scrambled egg and that was about it so far as the hot choice went. Didn't see any hash browns or fried eggs, and none of the staff even offered me a tea or coffee. Will be giving this one a wide berth in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

I'm sorry the experience did not meet your expectations with regards to the hotel's location, bedroom facilities and breakfast. Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team so that we can continue to improve the service we offer.

The hot breakfast buffet offering at the hotel includes bacon, two types of sausages, black pudding, mushrooms, hash browns, grilled tomoato and scrambled eggs. In addition, the breakfast menu provided on the tables allows our guest's further items prepared from the kitchen; including fried, poached or boiled aggs, kippers, haddock or omelettes.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Stevenage.

Gibraltar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is exactly what needed for a London business trip.
Good location, good restaurant and near London.
The prices are good as well.
Holiday Inn Stevenage has what you need to relax from the big city.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Roee L
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage in October.

I'm very pleased the hotel offered a perfect base during your London business trip, with good location, good food and good prices.

My team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've just returned from a 4 night business stay at the Holiday Inn Stevenage and it was good. The rooms are a little small but perfectectly formed. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom and shower are modern.

The restaurant was good and the food was of a decent quality - if like everywhere totally overpriced.

The downside is the extortinate charge for wifi - how can hotels still charge for wifi?

The lack of onsite parking - you need to park in the multistorey across the road which if you arrive late and are a single women traveller might be a bit dodgy.

Overall a decent stay though.

Room Tip: Buy a usb dongle to access wifi - it will be cheaper and better
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GaryHLondon
Gerard R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent four night stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

I'm delighted that overall the experience met your expectations, especially with regards to the comfort of the room, bathroom facility, Restaurant service and food quality. I'm sorry that the Wifi charges marred your stay with us and note your comments regarding parking arrangements at the hotel. The hotel now offers free internet for all Elite IHG Reward Club members and this is set to be further extended from January 2014.

Please rest assured your comments will be shared with the team who hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.