“Reasonably good.”

Holiday Inn Stevenage
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Ok so it's in Stevenage, it's not the prettiest of places. I stayed here on business recently and was pleasantly surprised by how nice the room was considering everything else around it!

The hotel is set on a busy dual carriageway in Stevenage. Unless you are in an executive room you need to park in the carpark opposite the hotel, on the other side of the dual carriageway. If you park in the carpark at the back you may be fined. There is a subway underneath the road to take you to the hotel, which takes you past the Stevenage Museum (don't laugh). The hotel itself is a short walk from the town and about a ten to fifteen minute walk to the nicer area of Old Town.

The hotel has a large airly recption and slightly chilly but extremely efficient reception staff. I did get them to smile the next morning when I spotted the hotel was next the a fire station, and the the fireman were hosing down the trucks. They unfortunately advised me they did not do this topless in the summer. There are two lifts to the upper floors and the very expensive but late opening bar is on the ground floor. Breakfast is also served on the ground floor and is classic buffet style. Its ok, not bad, not brilliant either, but enough to get your day going.

I stayed on the second floor and the room was very nicely styled in crisp whites and greens. I found it clean, comfortable and modern and the bed was very comfy. I was given a selection of pillows, tea making facilites, cosmetics and a welcome cookie with a personal note. It was actually quite a nice cookie.....My only gripe? No bath. It did however have an enormous shower with large shower head and sliding doors so I have begrudgingly let this go. I got to look out over the previously mentioned Stevenage Museum and did not hear any road noise.

So pretty much a decent hotel if you are looking for something in the centre of Stevenage.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Skizz1471
Scott M, Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Guest

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage in and that you found the location to be great.

We do offer a mixture of different room types both with walk-in shower, and baths with overhead showers.

Your feedback will be shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. I’m pleased you enjoyed the complimentary cookie on your arrival.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night, the staff were not very friendly, but not rude they just seemed disinterested. The room was OK and clean, but.....the bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in as it was far too soft.

Room Tip: watch out as the beds are awful
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I’m surprised to hear that our beds did not meet your satisfaction during your recent stay with us upon this occasion. We are a relatively brand new Hotel only in our 5th year of opening and all beds are to Holiday Inn standard.

I would be grateful if you would contact me and provide the room number you stayed in so that I can look into this further and act upon your remarks made.

We have taken measure in the meantime to do all sufficient checks to ensure the beds are suitable, and your feedback has been shared with the relevant departments.

I hope you do return and would personally like to be able to welcome you back to our Hotel

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Having booked this hotel for its convienient location, I was more than disappointed by the downright rude welcome from their "reception" staff.
The quality,cleanliness or anything else relating to this hotel is irrellivent. I would deffinately not put this hotel on my re-visit list.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank clive w
Scott M, Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Further to your stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage I'm sorry the experience failed to meet your expectations and our usual standards.

Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the team so that we can continue to improve the service we offer. We would be greatful of any information you could provide direct to the Hotel, to assist us in looking at this in further detail

Thank you for sharing your findings and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel under more favourable circumstances in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stopped here On Saturday 16th February 2013. We decided to have a long weekend break.
We came away in a worst state than we arrived. Their staff are rude, ill-mannered and very unprofessional. The manager there we TRIED to speak to was obnoxious, he wanted to be the manager when things are good but runs away when you complain.
There was so much noise we did not get to sleep until 3am due to private weekend parties organised at the same hotel.
If you are desperate to stop here there is a better pub under the ‘under pass’ and the bar staff there are 100% better than the bar staff at Holiday Inn
The breakfast was a free for all, find your own table and guess what to do next.
This place is expensive and in my opinion even worse than any Travelodge you may have stopped in

Room Tip: Find another hotel if you can
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank midfield38

Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay was marred by the disturbance from other guests and the breakfast service received during your stay. Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the team so that we can continue to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I've stayed here on numerous occasions for business. I find it to be convenient to the town centre (great shops if you get an early finish), without being too close to be involved in any disruption at the end of an evening. The beds are very comfortable and clean, the service excellent and the food extremely good. The staff members are friendly yet professional and I intend to bring my husband - it's that good!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank HappyH1
Gerard R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for the great feedback following your recent stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

I'm delighted the experience met your expectations, especially with regards to the comfort of the beds, cleanliness of the room, service and quality of food. Please rest assured your comments will be shared with the team who made it happen.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back with your husband in the near future.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We came to Holiday Inn as they were holding a Murder Mystery evening and we wanted to catch up with some friends so decided to make a weekend of it. We checked with the tour operator that the rooms allocated would be ours for the weekend, but on the Saturday morning we were advised to move rooms to a higher floor as there was a party on below us and they thought the noise may be too much for us! The rooms are very small but well appointed, the beds are comfortable and the power shower was excellent.There is alot of noise from the dual carriageway.
The staff are very good especially the food and beverage manager and Chrysanth on reception, both are excellent ambassadors for Holiday Inn.
The food in the restaurant, be it breakfast or evening meal is very good.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank hilzandbaz

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

I'm pleased that you and your friends enjoyed the Murder Mystery weekend at the hotel and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team, especially Chrysanthi on Reception and our Food & Beverage Manager.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Myself, partner and 6 year old have just enjoyed two nights at this hotel. I have stayed in many hotels including several InterContinental (parent company of Holiday Inn and the more upmarket Crowne Plazas). This Holiday Inn was one of the best I’ve stayed in, and some aspects of my stay were reminiscent of the excellent Crowne Plaza hotels.

Some previous reviewers of this hotel have left me slightly incredulous. Particularly the one complaining that the hotel is next to a dual carriageway! (Reminds me of Fawlty Towers: what do you expect to see - the hanging gardens of Babylon?!). Yes, this hotel is situated in the centre of Stevenage, next to a dual carriageway, lots of concrete to see! But - it does mean that access is very good. There are two large car parks within two minutes walk - as is the town centre. If you want quaint - then it’s quite simple - don’t stay here! Instead: stay in the old town of Stevenage down the road.

Check-in was fast and efficient with a smiley lady called Chrysanthi. She kindly let us leave our car at the hotel as we are Platinum members - it is nice to have this acknowledged as not all Holiday Inns bother.

The entire hotel had a fresh and newly decorated feel and was exceptionally clean. Our room was on the fourth floor and although modestly sized, it wasn’t tiny. Our daughter had a large sofa bed, and we had a Queen sized bed - although the mattress needed changing as it sagged a little in the middle. Positives about the room were the heating/AC system that worked properly, the well-designed tea-tray area, the nightlight in the bathroom, the reading lights by the bed (never seen in a H-Inn before, but standard in Crowne Plazas) - they are so useful when you have a child asleep in the room and can’t have the main lights on. Also, I liked the flat screen TV with full channels and the decent shower along with plentiful large towels in the bathroom.

As seems to be the case in most hotels these days the breakfast is buffet style. Contrary to previous reviews I can say that this is the ONLY hot buffet breakfast where the plates and food are actually HOT, and stay hot when you get your plate back to your table. The breakfast here is cheaper than other hotels in this chain (£10/adult and children eat free) and it is the best breakfast I’ve had in any hotel in a long time. Pots of coffee and tea were brought to table by staff and the breakfast staff here were extremely efficient and attentive. There was an excellent choice of cereals, fruit juices and delicious pastries. The hot breakfast has large breakfast mushrooms (a rarity in hotel breakfasts!), and decent bacon. Porridge and fried/poached eggs can be ordered from staff who send the order straight to the kitchen, and both mornings the fried eggs were sent out within minutes - excellent service. The only pointers I could offer is that the scrambled eggs were too creamy (a common problem) and there only seemed to be honey/marmalade on offer - no jam of any kind on either morning.

We also ate in the bar on both evenings and this too was truly excellent - so much so that on both nights we noticed that locals came in for food/drinks. The bar food was delivered quickly, was reasonable value and was very good! The staff showed flexibility with regards to our daughter’s food. Also, when she broke a glass by accident the barman’s (Abhi) first concern was that she hadn’t cut herself. The bar area has a relaxing feel to it with comfortable furniture, and a couple of large flat-screen TVs.

We really enjoyed our stay here, and as we have family in the area we hope to visit again one day.

Room Tip: Maybe a room on a higher floor - due to road noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank WisteriaView
Gerard R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Further to your recent experience of Holiday Inn Stevenage I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed a pleasant stay at the hotel.

It was pleasing that all aspects of your stay were positive, including the hotel's location, the friendly and efficient welcome, bedroom size and amenities, food and service in the bar along with the breakfast offering.

Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team, especially Chrysanthi and Abhi who made a significant impact on your visit.

My team and I hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Stevenage in the future.

Gerard Ryan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenage
Holiday Inn Express Stevenage
#5 of 11 in Stevenage
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth

Been to Holiday Inn Stevenage? Share your experiences!