“Great place. Top food!”

Mehfil Indian Restaurant
Ranked #221 of 493 Restaurants in Ipswich
Description: We specialise in cuisine. We also offer a range of popular Indian dishes. We are fully licensed. We have a friendly staff and a welcoming atmosphere. We are situated 50 yards from the Ipswich Marina, 100 yards from the UCS. There is free of road parking (up to 3 cars in the alley way next to the building) and parking at the UCS 100 yards away.
Reviewed April 30, 2016 via mobile

We visited Mehfil last night on the recommendation of a friend of ours. It turned out to be a hidden gem!
The food was fantastic. My wife's chicken tikka massala was full of flavour and very creamy. My lamb jalfrezi was very warming! A jalfrezi can vary in heat from restaurant to restaurant. Nobody's fault but tasty nonetheless. A special mention for the keema naan also. One of the best I've ever had.
Ferrero rocher ice cream for dessert capped off a great evening. Will definitely be coming back here in the future.

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank banan345

Reviewed March 23, 2016

We were at a Birthday 50th for the weekend of 22nd march 2016 so had a takeaway from here on the Friday as the house we were staying at ( Old Neptune ) was behind the resto and the smell was lovely.

Everyone said their take aways were good but the shells on my prawns were left on at the tails which made for a crunchy, messy eat as I had to fish each shell off from my mouth at each mouthful. I had intended to take the remainder tails back to show them but I did not make it in itme, so I hope the restaurant takes heed. - WE DO NOT LIKE EATING THE TAIL SHELL thanks !

The keema rice was really good, all other rices were nice and fluffy, and the poppadoms were crispy. I went in to get the take away and the resturant is far too bright and not at all intimate. I spoke to the owners about this as I would not go into such a bright restaurant - for us it is a treat to go out and have some nice food and we don;t want to feel that we are in a money making machine where we feel we have to eat up and go. The owner said he would be investing in dimmer switches - do it quick. The owners also said that it was difficult to get people to come back. It may be that parking is a nightmare in this area, or it might be that the resto is not dark enough and that one feels on show. Overall good then, but I hope the restaurant tastes its own prawn sag and has a meeting about it as it was poor due to the shells being left on at the tails, and dims the lights, and a tea light on the table ( very cheap at Ikea in a bag ) see below

IKEA website
GLIMMA
Unscented candle in metal cup
£4 / 24 pack
Article Number : 901.083.60

Date of visit: March 2016
NancyRahman, Owner at Mehfil Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2016

Dear Edward, thank you for your review. After reading for your comments we have changed the way we prepare our prawns. We now use prawns without their tails on.

I believe there may have been a misunderstanding with the comments one of our staff made on the night you came in for a takeaway. We have regular customers who continue to come in on a regular basis for a meal. We are a new business, it is the attracting of new customers that is a challenge. I apologise for any miscommunication that may have occurred. It would not have been intentional.

Thank you once again for providing a very informative review. Your observations made on the interior of the restaurant when you came in for a take-away collection have given us plenty to think about.

We will continue to invest in the restaurant. It will take time like all businesses.

Kind regards

Mrs Yesmin

Reviewed February 21, 2016 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere and great food. Very happy to come here again! Really pleased to have great vegan options to try. I had the dhansak and it was the best I have ever had.

Date of visit: February 2016
1  Thank Francis L
NancyRahman, Owner at Mehfil Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2016

Thank you for the kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your Vegetable Dhansak at Mehfil Restaurant. We are happy to prepare/modify dishes that may not appear on our current menu. Don't forget teachers get a 10% discount on their meals.

Reviewed February 20, 2016 via mobile

New restaurant . Amazing food , lovely people and a beautiful restaurant. One of the best Indian restaurants I have eaten in. They have a relatively small menu but the food is incredibly high quality . Can't recommend them enough . Waterfront flat resident .

Date of visit: February 2016