“Really nice”
Review of Bistro on the Quay

Bistro on the Quay
Ranked #15 of 496 Restaurants in Ipswich
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2019 via mobile

We’re looking for a good meal on a Monday night, and would also prefer to be near the waterfront. Other than the Pizza Express all the eateries seemed to be closed on a Monday despite advertising all day opening so we were pleasantly surprised that this restaurant was not only open but could seat us immediately ( it filled up within 30 mins so booking seems the norm ). Service was really excellent, friendly not intrusive and very efficient, drinks ordered arrived almost immediately and a jug of water was provided without asking, brilliant. Then to the food. Just what we fancied, very tasty and a nice amount, not too much. Overall I felt this was excellent value for money with a good price spread on wine and excellent food, definitely would come back if in the area.

Reviewed May 13, 2019

My wife and I were visitors to Ipswich and finding a restaurant on The Quay on a Friday night was a challenge. By luck we were successful at Bistro on the Quay. I should have said lucky!

The Bistro faces the Marina, with nice decor and had a very healthy buzz. The staff although busy greeted us promptly and the service throughout was very good.

My wife chose to eat from the set price menu - £16.95 for two courses. She began with Duck & pork terrine with plum chutney and French bread. A terrine aficionado she pronounced it very good. For mains she ate Grilled fillet of cod with samphire grass, white wine veloute and new potatoes. Again a winner. My wife was impressed.

I began with smoked shell on prawns - £6.50. They were very good and plenty of them. This was the first time I had sampled smoked prawns and my personal taste I discovered was unsmoked prawns, though they were undoubtedly good. For mains I ate Grilled wild seabass fillet (Orford Ness)with local asparagus and new potatoes. Wow! This was a revelation. A genuine wild sea bass which is a world away from the Greek/Turkey farmed variety served in so many restaurants.

We drank a bottle of French Holy Snail Sauvignon Blanc which was excellent and remarkable value at £22.50.

Go again? We did next night! Still drooling about that Orford Sea Bass!

Reviewed May 4, 2019 via mobile

I booked dinner for my daughters birthday. All four of us had a lovely meal, couldn't be bettered. Great value and attentive, friendly service. They even took the trouble to give my daughter a special dessert. I can't thank them enough for making the evening so special. A very heartfelt "thank you". Will definitely revisit soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2019 via mobile

Visited this restaurant on Easter Sunday. The restaurant was a little warm for more liking but it had been exceptionally hot outside.

The food and the service though was simply superb....

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 30, 2019

I came mid-week with a large business group and the restaurant looked after us really well and the food was great as we watched the sun go down over the marina.

Date of visit: April 2019