“This is why I love Indian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maharani

Maharani
Ranked #1 of 441 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“This is why I love Indian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I eat out a fair bit at least three times a week. Work takes me pretty much all over the UK, so in someway I'm fairly previlidged. As a result I choose to eat at indian restaurants instead of hotels as I simply prefer a freshly cooked Indian meal. Anyway enough about me...The Maharani is certainly one of the better restaurants that I've had the pleasure to eat in. I ordered lamb dhansak, chana sag, two chapatis & orange juice and lemonade with poppadoms to start. The Dhansak came with Pilau rice which i didnt need. But if you normally eat dhansak then you would know that it normally comes with Pilau rice as standard. Cost of the meal was under £20 which I would consider to extremely resonable. Im a seasoned curry eater and in my opinion the food here was just great. If I was going to be picky I would say that the chapatis were tad overdone but certainly not the worst I've had by a long chalk. Sitting next to the window is a tad noisy due to the traffic outside, could do with secondary glazing. The owner of the restaurant was a very charming chap as we're the staff. Please be advised that there is a car park at the rear for customer use which I didn't know about until the owner mentioned it to me.

In conclusion if you're in Ipswich and want a very good quality curry at a very resonable price do your taste buds a favour and go to the Maharani for a meal. You will not be disappointed. I'm going back next week when I come back to Ipswich.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
“17 years and still number1”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Have used it for many years, my kids have eaten here since they were babies, manik and his staff are like family, they always make you feel welcome, and the food is by far the best you will eat in suffolk, this is why, its the greatest indian you will ever step foot in, so please try it and you won't be disappointed. Thanks for reading.john, louise, lana, , john, and molly. Thanks manik and all your staff.

Eye, United Kingdom
“Brief encounter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Heading to see La Fille Mal Guardee at Ipswich Regent, we needed food. Stopped at a pub, which was heaving so decided to take pot luck on satnav restaurants. Parked and walked along Norwich Road, which is pretty nondescript. Two Indian restaurants close to each other, both empty (it was early). My wife decided that we'd go to the one with flowers on the tables!
And, what a lucky choice. Indian menus are mainly formulaic, here just seemed a bit different and the food proved it - the chana saag side dish was delicious in particular. The decor was an interesting mix of victorian tiles and indian and staff friendly and attentive.
The one regret is that we were short of time and we would have liked to linger over our meal. We don't often visit Ipswich but we'll be back when we do.

• Visited February 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Brilliant staff and wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I booked a large table at the maharani for my partners birthday and from booking over the phone to leaving the restaurant the staff were really friendly and welcoming. The table was booked for 12 people and all of us enjoyed the food and would highly reccommed this restaurant to anyone. The waiters even provided my partner with a birthday present which was very thoughtful. We will be booking up a table again very soon.

• Visited January 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Extensive menu and friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Dined here again last weekend. Love the extensive menu - all the classics for comfort, but many signature dishes and customer-voted favourites. Building is a converted game butchers that still has the original tiles on one wall- the owner will show you a photo of the previous incarnation if you ask. Interior is comfortable and arranged for intimacy rather than canteen-style overcrowding. Food took a little while to come but we felt this was because it was being freshly prepared and was well worth the wait. Portion sizes were generous without being obscene; all the dishes we selected were garnished and delicious, not greasy and with lots of good quality meat. Staff were polite and efficient and the friendly owner circulated, getting to know his customers. We mentioned it was our daughter's birthday and a gift and some chocolates duly appeared - a lovely touch. Highly recommended - and lots more unusual dishes to sample next time!

• Visited January 2013