“Rude bartender and staff”
Review of The Cricketers

The Cricketers
Ranked #37 of 52 Quick Bites in Ipswich
Reviewed June 13, 2019

On 11/06/19 we visited cricketers for a nice meal out. We arrived around 21:00 and we asked if the kitchen is still open. Staff told us that it is so we ordered dinner and some drinks. No one asked for our ID's( however anyone was over 20 and we all ordered alcohol). After finishing our drinks we went to order some more. One of my friends didn't have her id on her,but had a picture on her phone as a proof. The bar staff told her that it's not a valid proof and she can't sell her alcohol ( even though it was sold to her 2 times previously),and we said ok fair enough. then she ordered a diet Coke so the lady said that she cannot sell her any other drink because she doesn't look over 18 and doesn't have ID on her. Wtf?!. Since I had my ID I ordered myself a drink, and a diet Coke(duuh). The bar staff was very rude to me and she said that if my friend has that drink they and us can get in trouble( for a diet Coke). 5 min later the waiter (whom i suppose is the manager) came to our table saying that my friend has to go as she doesn't look over 18 and has no proof of ID. After we spent more than 50 pounds on food and drinks. Of course I got my mad and I asked him why didn't he told us that in the very beginning? It is our responsibility as clients to ask that? Why did they sold us alcohol in the first place? And most importantly,if the kitchen closes at 23:00(as we were being told) and if we were still eating,will they've kicked us out?! So I had to argue with the staff that didn't know what to answer,apart from "the picture on her phone isn't a valid proof/if the police came and did some check we will be in trouble"(bul*****,excuse my French), to let my friend drink her diet coke and stay with us. This is unacceptable behaviour and overall poor staff management/training. I get that it was late and everyone wants to go home,but don't be rude to your clients! Bad experience, wouldn't recommend.

Date of visit: June 2019
The Cricketers J, Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Robynbrh,

We are very sorry that you didn't have a good visit with us; however we operate a challenge 25 policy here at The Cricketers. If a customer is unable to provide ID when asked, we will not be serving them alcohol as per the licensing act 2003. We also as per our licence do not allow anyone without ID in the establishment after 9PM even if they just want to purchase a soft drink.

Acceptable forms of ID to prove you are over 18 include:
•A photo driving licence
•A passport
•A proof of age card, such as the PASS card from the national Proof of Age Standards Scheme.

Unfortunately these also have to be original hard proof as these can be faked we reserve the right to be able to check the authenticity of any id presented to us in order to serve alcohol. As you can appreciate that can’t be done with a photo on a mobile phone.

We will always ad-hear to the law as for the reasons that follow.

It is illegal to;

•To sell alcohol to someone under 18 anywhere, and can lead to a maximum fine of £20,000 1 for bar staff/managers or premises may eventually be shut down.
•To knowingly sell alcohol to someone is drunk.
•To knowingly buy/get, or try to buy/get, alcohol for a drunken person on a licensed premises, e.g. a bar or club.
•For an adult to buy or attempt to buy alcohol on behalf of someone under 18*.
•For someone fewer than 18 to buy alcohol, attempt to buy alcohol or to be sold alcohol.

Our staff training is excellent especially when it comes to licensing laws they are required to complete fresh alcohol and licencing law training every 6 months.

You can find our legal and ethical policy here on our main page https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/contact/faqs/our-legal-and-ethical-policies

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and would like to welcome you back any time before 9PM or after providing all members of your group where applicable have ID.

Management

Reviewed June 11, 2019

visited the cricketers,in ipswich last night after a night out with my children to get a bite to eat,at around 7.15pm,where i was served by a very rude dark haired women with glasses,who said to me very abruptly children only allowed in here til 8pm,& you only have 10mins to order food,because she was so rude to me,& made me feel bad even bringing my children in there,though its supposed to be a child friendly pub,i asked to speak to the manager about her rude attitude,he was not very understanding when i told him what had happened he went away,we were taking pictures on our fone as you do of each other,the manager then came bk out to speak to us because apparently we were taking pictures of the woman behind the bar,i offered to show him my fone,but he didn't want to see,to me they just wanted us out of the pub because i'd complained.

3  Thank kirstyclare73
The Cricketers J, Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Kirstyclare73

I would 1st like to point out the date and time of your visit is wrong, I would like to remind you our premises is fitted with CCTV so after we received your trip adviser report I spent some considerable time looking for this incident.. as it was a day later and a different time its taken me a little longer to respond to you.

1st of all you were taking pictures of our staff our CCTV shows us that clearly.
2nd we do not tolerate any belittling or diminishing disrespectful comments remarks and names towards our staff in which you did verbally abuse our staff by using foul offensive name calling.
3rd of all which was explained to you we have our rules from our licensing we cannot legally or morally pick and choose when we can and cannot follow them.

you have since returned on Saturday 22nd June 2019 at around 10am where you physically assaulted on our shift managers by throwing a glass in his face. as I stated above we have CCTV through our premise the footage of both incidence will given to the police where a report will be made of an assault.

Please accept this as notice you are barred for life from this premises.

regards
pub management.

Reviewed June 5, 2019 via mobile

Went here today for lunch. Went to the bar and there was one person in front of me. No one at the till waited for over 8 minutes and then someone came to serve never once got a sorry for your wait. The staff looks so miserable and not friendly at all. A girl cleared our plates and just said can I take these. There was no "how was your meal" or "was everything alright". I no it's a cheap pub in town but surely the management would want their staff to smile and be friendly. At least look like you want to be there. Sorry but I wont be returning.

Date of visit: June 2019
The Cricketers J, Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2019

Dear Pandapop2

I am sorry that we haven't given you the service you should have received on your visit, I would like to investigate your visit could you please get in contact with me at p288@jdwetherspoon.co.uk so we can get some more details from you.

Gemma
Duty manager

Reviewed June 1, 2019

When we sat at the table, the first thing we noticed is that the table hasn't been cleaned. When the food came (fish n'chips) the waiter did not pick up the dirty pint glasses from the previous clients on the table and also handed us dirty cuterly; one of the forks with dried pieces of peas on it and another one with hair stuck in it. Nothing else was brought to the table like sauces or salt and pepper. We had to go inside and ask specifically for the tartare souce. The meal itself was very dissapointing as well for the price we paid because there was a tiny piece of fish covered in a lot of crispy batter. In my opinion they do not deserve even a star but i dont have other choice to write the review.

Reviewed May 28, 2019

Went for Lunch with my wife. Whilst perusing the menu a elderly lady asked if she could have a little more gravy as the pie she received was a bit dry. The assistant manager actually charged her 57pence for the priviledge. When I asked why this was he said that it was company policy as they had to account for everything. Even a few Gravy Granules ??!!!!
The lady and her companion said that they would never eat there again and indeed my wife and I walked out. This meant for 75 pence he had lost a lot of custom.
I wrote to Weatherspoons who said that the Gravy was an added item and is therefore chargeable!!.
So wont be eating at any Weatherspoons ever again.

Good one----NOT!!

Date of visit: May 2019
The Cricketers J, Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2019

Dear Kevin P

I would firstly like to thank-you for your comments, We try hard to provide good service and standards although we do sometimes make mistakes. I am sorry that you feel we have let you down on this occasion and I would like to personally apologise for any disappointment during your visit. We would very much like to try and turn your opinion around and invite you back for a visit. Please don't hesitate to contact us on 01473 2259901 to discus any issues you have.

Gemma Patrick