“They went out of their way to make us happy!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kwan Thai

Kwan Thai
Ranked #10 of 439 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Authentic Thai cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere.
“They went out of their way to make us happy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went on a Saturday night after cinema at about 7pm with no reservation. It was really busy but they found us a table and the food was really nice and priced similar to other Thai restaurants I've been to. They were very attentive and there was plenty of staff. There was a beautifully carved carrot rose on our starter tray and I asked the waitress if I could take it home for my 7 year older daughter called Rosie as she collects Roses. The waitress said of course and then brought me a small bag to put it in, after our main she brought me a different flower and after desert another, I was really pleased as I had intended to have a go at making one myself. The waiter then later described the knife they use and suggested I start with soap as its softer and easier to carve. I thought they were all really nice staff and even though it was busy they seemed to have time for everyone. We will go again!

Woking, United Kingdom
“Delightful Thai restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were looking for somewhere to eat in Ipswich when we visited just before Christmas. Luckily we found the Kwan Thai. Being the last Saturday before Christmas they were very busy but we were tucked away in a corner and didn't feel rushed. The food was delicious, well-presented and authentic - and such a choice. The staff were friendly and welcoming - will definitely visit again if we find ourselves in Ipswich overnight again.

• Visited December 2012
Ipswich
“Kwan Thai Christmas Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Kwan Thai is a gem of a restaurant in Ipswich. We had the opportunity to go there for one of the Christmas set menu's and were very impressed with the variety, quality and overall presentation of the meal. It was at a very reasonable price too.

• Visited December 2012
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

As there is a sparcity of thai restaurants in Suffolk, we checked tripadvisor and found this place highly recommended. Couldn't believe when the food arrived, literally 2 mins after ordering (thought was very strange?) and as both main dishes looked remarkably the same we asked which was the thai basil dish. The staff scurried off to fetch the manager, who then admitted they had no thai basil left and did we want to change the dish? As we were hungry and tired, my wife was disappointed and stuck with the dish, which tasted remarkably like my chilli and onion chicken dish!

My side order of vegetable phad thai was like no other phad thai I have ever tasted ever ... it was coloured orange vermicelli with a few bean sprouts scattered on top, with added chicken! No taste or flavours and the manager tried to insist that this was not the traditional phad thai option on the menu..... but my answer was, I asked for phad thai, not coloured, tasteless noodles! We have spent 8 - 9 weeks every year in Thailand for the last 10 years and are perfectly clear on what one of their staple dishes looks and tastes like!

Despite trying to discuss this calmly with the duty manager, who was only interested in shouting her opinion over our conversation and being very defensive, we paid the bill (100%) and left .....all within less than an hour of arriving!

Opinion? Try one of the other thai options available, or simply eat at one of the many good other restaurants in St.Nicholas Street!

• Visited January 2013
kendal
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Thai restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Went here on a busy Saturday night in January. The meal and the service was fantastic. We ordered a set meal for two. We had a mixed platter to start and three main dishes and rice and noodles. Every single dish was just so tasty. Definitely good value for money. We didn't book and the restaurant was obviously busy but the staff went out of their way to find us a table and at no point did we feel rushed and the service was great. Would definitely say this is the best Thai restaurant we have ever been to. would definitely recommend it.

Visited January 2013