“Great atmosphere and delicious food”

Mariners Restaurant of Ipswich
Ranked #9 of 456 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Within easy walking distance of the town centre, Ipswich's most original restaurant, Mariners, is an antique Dutch customs gunboat, moored along Neptune Quay. You can relax in its wonderful atmosphere and its polished brass ambience. From a quick snack for lunch on the upper deck to a romantic dinner on the lower deck, it is the perfect place for an evening on the sea front.
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We ate here on a Wednesday night and there was a nice buzz about the place. We had the set menu and thoroughly enjoyed our starters and fishy mains of salmon with risotto and hake with cockles. Veg was included in the price and bread was replenished. Staff were friendly and seemed to genuinely care if you were having a good meal. Expensive but worth it for the lovely romantic setting.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have eaten at several places along the quay and we have always wanted to try here so decided to treat ourselves for our anniversary as it is on the pricey side.
We were given a friendly greeting and the man who seated us at the table and brought our wine was friendly unlike the waiters who almost slung our food on the table. The wine itself was quite nice. The food was the biggest let down. My tuna starter was ok but I literally had 6 cubes of tuna. My husband had various types of fish and seafood in a sauce. It was so bland and hadn't been seasoned in any way whatsoever. Our main courses were also incredibly bland. My husband had sauce in a little jug and it tasted like melted butter in milk and was just vile. Small portions as we had less than a tablespoonful of mashed potato each, tasteless vegetables.
We paid £73 for 2 of us for 2 courses with a bottle of wine which is far more than other places we have eaten at on the quay. Maybe the chef was having an off night but we definitely won't be returning. I actually struggled giving an average and it was almost a poor.

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Hadn't visited since it was named Il Punto & had high expectations from last visits! To my great surprise, I think it's even got better if that's possible. My partner had never been previously & thoroughly loved it too. Food divine & could have chosen all of the dishes on the menu! Service impeccable & very friendly which is seldom found anywhere nowadays! We will most definitely return!

1  Thank Lizziebee1
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Went for dinner with my boyfriend and I was excited to be eating on a boat. We both ate off the set menu which had a lot of choice. We thoroughly enjoyed our food and thought everything was a reasonable price. We would definitely visit again!

2  Thank Alex B
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Went here about 15 years ago,under a different name but the type of food hasn't changed (french cuisine).We went on a Saturday lunchtime where they had a set meal,everyone was really happy with their meal,my salmon was beautifully cooked,with plenty of crayfish to the dish & the sauce was lovely.The only criticism I have is you have to pay extra for veg,which generally comes included in a main meal.Also I think the female staff could do with a bit of cheering up,not very welcoming.Overall a lovely meal.

1  Thank kmb74