“Clean and Comfortable - but beware the pricey food and internet!”

Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Clean and Comfortable - but beware the pricey food and internet!”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My room was clean and comfortable and so were the public areas of the hotel that I saw. The windows don't appear to be double-glazed, although noise wasn't an problem for my room. Although it wasn't an issue in mid-September, the room didn't appear to have any air conditioning (although there was a fan) so that might be a problem in the middle of summer. I ate in the restaurant for one night of my stay and the service was fast and friendly. The reception staff were also friendly and welcoming.

As far as value-for-money is concerned, I find Holiday Inn a mixed bag. The rate for the bed and breakfast isn't too bad - it's just the extras. The bar and the food is pricey - as is the £4 'tray charge' for using room service. In addition, £15 for 24 hours internet use? I'm sorry, but in 2010 I expect internet access just as I would expect plumbing and electricity in the room! All the more galling is that I've stayed in much cheaper 2-star places that provide it for free.

I would recommend Holiday Inn Orwell, but beware the extras if you're not claiming on company expenses or you want anything more than bed and breakfast!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Norwich Uk
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have just returned from a 3 night stay, Room was clean the bed very comfortable,, , Bathroom clean and shower powerfull and Hot. staff friendly and helpfull, food in restaurant tasty, Car park good, basicly what you look for in a Hotel.Great Value for Money, will be back again next year,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for one night during a business trip in a double room on the ground floor. Room was dark and not particulary clean, net curtains were gray with dirt. Bathroom had a lot of mould in the shower, the towels were threadbare and had dirty marks and I discovered the soap from the previous occupant still in the shower.

Food wasn't great either, poor standard microwave fare. To complete the experience, they also tried to overcharge me for a "phantom" bottle of wine.

I've stayed in worse hotels on business, but also many more that were far cleaner!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Ipswich hotels

Leicestershire
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Located conveniently just off the A14, the hotel was easy to find. Plenty of free parking available. Upon check in, the receptionist was extremely helpful and knowledgable - without doubt the most pleasant check-in I have ever experienced at a Holiday Inn. The hotel itself was a little dated, but clean and perfectly adequate. Even though our room was next to the car park, we had an uninterrupted night's sleep. I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Northampton
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Stayed here with colleagues for 1 night as it is convenient for our Business location and some of them had stayed here before. It is also 1 of the hotels on our shortlist from our hotel provider. For that reason we probably pay a bit less

Still roadsigned as a Marriott even though I believe it hasn’t been for at least 2 years. The other Holiday Inn is on the west side of the town.

Quick efficient check in to an acceptable room. I slept well although the bath took a while to fill.

After much delay and discussion we decided to eat in the bar and the food eas fne for me and also for most of my colleagues. The staff were patient and the food service quick enough.

I didn’t eat breakfast.

Check out was equally efficient and so was the process of sending me a copy of the bill after I had mislaid the first one, since discovered of course.

Whether I would recommend the hotel or not depends on the purpose. Should be a Dont know here . I am forced to give a yes/no....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Visited for one night in July, have stayed at this hotel a few times before, and the standards seem to be slipping. Booked with Privelge Card, but check in very average. Receptionist even sent us to wrong floor for our room. Very hot day, got to room it was hot, no air con, and the fan that was supposed to be in wardrobe was missing, recified eventually by reception. Attention to detail in batroom could have been better, one loo role with about 10 sheets left on, no spares on holder.
Went out in evening got back as it was so hot went into bar for a drink pint of lime and lemeonde, glass of lime and sparkling water, £6.60. When I queried the price told that it included a 60p service charge and that it was 70p per shot of lime. If I use this hotel again will go to pub across the road for food and pub.
Rooms now a bit tired and need some attention, will probably look at other options when staying in this area in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Southern England
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We were mis-sold this room, told that the hotel had air cond, would not have stayed if we had known this was not true! After trying several rooms we were then allocated one on the ground floor, this was extreemly dirty the net curtains were actually black with dirt. Live insects on the window sill.The toilet handle was broken therefore unable to use the toilet until it wasrepaired. All the rooms we tried were extreemly noisy ( Too close to the A14) constant whine of traffic even through double glazing. Spent the first evening in the restaurant, two course meal and a bottle of wine £66.00. when we asked for an extra bread roll we were told " you can only have one". You were unable to actually see out of the restaurant windows they were so dirty. My husband had to complain as the receptionist was very off hand when we arrived to book in.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple