“Nice hotel, silly problems spoiled the stay a bit”

Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Booked in here for a family funeral, there were two couples with the same name (family!) and as we came in we were met by confusion, they had mixed up the rooms, signed ours over to the other couple then tried to tell us we hadnt paid (we had!). Eventually the manager came and sorted it, just let us stay in the rooms for them to sort it later. Later we went to the replacement manager Michelle who i must say was very helpful and sorted it all out, eventually upgrading the rooms. As we were in the other couples original room though, the bills kept coming to us in our room but in their names, this wasnt a problem as we are all friends but if there had been animosity it couldve caused difficulties. Even at breakfast they had pre-paid and our bill was in their name!! Would also say that at night in the bar, the barman kept disappearing into the function room (think thats where they went) to the degree where eventually Michelle (true star this lady!) had to go and find him. Perhaps a bell, buzzer or something on the bar linked to the function room would sort this one out. Despite the above, the rooms were nice, staff polite and the wake was very well catered.

Room Tip: Choose the executive and up as these are quite a bit better than the double rooms. Book early to pa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear _LondonLeanne_

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our Hotel.
I am pleased that in the main your stay was a pleasant one, I am pleased that you felt the wake you attended here was well catered for and I have passed your kind comments regarding Michelle onto her.

In terms of the mix up on the bedrooms, for this I can only apologise and the receptionist on duty would like to be associated with my apologies for which was a genuine error. I again would like to apologise for the problems you encountered with bar service and I have spoken at length to my Restaurant and Bar Manager to put in place actions to ensure this is not repeated in future.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a hotel you would only use for business as it's based near the business and industrial belt. It sits on a noisy road and is adequate for business use only.

Good bundled free access to the David Lloyd sports center across the road. I have stayed here thrice and the hotel needs a bit of a makeover as it's old world dark English pub wood style...is no longer in style.

Food is to be avoided even with their new menu ( introduced here as a test the hotel sign said )....micro-wave heated pre-cooked food elsewhere would be my assumption.

Shower hot water has been an issue on two stays but no response to my reports of this to help them sort it out....although Holiday Inn do fastidiously send you surveys and email post stay....pity the marketing department don't talk to the customer department!

Worth the money for location to business but you would not want to be here for more than two nights.

Room Tip: Ask for furthest away from busy road.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear DJC,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our Hotel.
I am glad you enjoyed using the David Lloyd Leisure centre it is an excellent facility and we are pleased to be able to offer complimentary access to all our guests.

In terms of your comments regarding food, we have now finished the trial which was on behalf of Holiday Inn Hotels and have now introduced a more extensive menu which we believe has increased in both quality of dishes and choice of items. The hot water issue we believe has now been resolved by our in house team.

Perhaps when you are staying next you could ask for me personally so I can discuss the issues you experienced in person.

Hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Took advantage of a short 2 night stay after the bank holiday wkend. Very few other guests so breakfast was not buffet but made freshly for us. Very generous portions and hot and delicious. Didn't eat in the hotel again as we have relatives in the area but the experimental menu looks better than the menus we have had on previous visits. Overall very good value for money and it would be our 1st choice stay if in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Highand Fans,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your recent stay with us.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here for an early morning business meeting the following morning, and arrived late (21.00).Check in was good, (trainee did her very best, but still a little "scripted") and went more or less straight to the bar for some dinner.
TV was on LOUD with football, and not conducive to the work I had to do, but the barman obligingly turned it down. I had a bar snack a d c ouple of drinks while I finished off some urgent paperwork and emails. The warning bells should have started ringing with the kids in the bar drinking fizzy sugar filled drinks.
Sure enough on returning to my room, they were just down the corridor, screaming, running up and down and generally being kids afflicted with ADHD or whatever this week's excuse for bad behaviour is. Reception seemed to calm things down after a phone call.

About 3am a phone upstairs from me on vibrate started "buzzing" through the floor as the owner's alarm went off. He got up, used the bathroom, got ready and left. By now it was 3.45am and I'd given up on sleep.

Up for breakfast at 06.30, and checked out and away by 07.30 in more than good time for my 08.00 meeting 3 minutes away.

Not the hotel's fault, but probably one of the worst nights "sleep" I've ever endured.

Dear Jetsettel,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our Hotel.

I welcome your balanced review and feel you have been kind to us over some of the factors which were perhaps out of our control.

However, I have discussed with the Hotel team the problems you encountered and we would like to apologise for not delivering you a great nights sleep. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly should you need to come to Ipswich in future in order that I may ensure that you can experience the comfort and service you expect from Holiday Inn Hotels worldwide.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Food in the bar was fine. Room was clean but was awaken at 6.00am by the room next door having a shower it was so loud it sounded like they were showering in my room. Also very old shower mat to stop you slipping in the bath when taking a shower didnt want to touch that as looked a bit dirty!

Dear Matt T,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our Hotel.
I am pleased that in the main your stay was an enjoyable one.
I am concerned tohear you were awoken by the guest in next room and will investigate with my maintenance Manager how we can resolve this. In terms of the shower mat, I have instructed our housekeeper to purchase new ones to replace where required.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Travelled to Ipswich for a school reunion and needed to stay overnight, as it is a long drive from my home. Having searched for suitable hotels via Booking.com I decided upon The Holiday Inn - Orwell as it was fairly close to my ultimate destination.

Finding the Hotel was easy, it is on the eats side of The River next to the awful, Orwell Bridge, ( what an ugly monstrosity totally out of keeping with the area)

Reception was superb , and efficient, My room on the ground floor was spacious, comfortable and well appointed. ( slight moan as a Tea Drinker why only 2 tea bags and yet loads of coffee and unlike every other hotel I have stayed in , no hot chocolate or biscuits?)

Restaurant , here by a slight conundrum , The menu shows a full breakfast only, despite the ingredients for a Continental breakfast being readily available and had I pre booked breakfast when I booked my room it would have cost me £5.00 more than it did. The greeting in the Restaurant and staff were all courteous and efficient, the restaurant was comfortable and roomy. Plenty of selection for cereals and not the individual packets, but only skimmed or semi skimmed milk ( arghhh) also seemingly, no sweeteners only sugar ( a downside if you are diabetic or just don't use sugar) Also an insistence on Saturday morning by the 'head' waitress that despite me saying I only required cereal, toast and tea that I should order 'cooked food' 3 times I had to decline and she could not also remember that I had asked for tea not coffee, ( training need I think or is that just me being picky )

Having had lunch elsewhere I decided on a sandwich for the evening snack ordered form the bar with coffee. Polite efficient service and an excellent ham sandwich and coffee.

Saturday night /sunday morning woken at 6.00 by incessant door banging , probably lack of thought by a small number of other guests, perhaps the door closers are a little fierce. Otherwise an undisturbed 2 nights .

Sunday breakfast was also efficient although a colleague staying in the hotel had a cooked breakfast, which seemed to be self service from the hot buffet and frankly, did not look that appetising, unlike the impression I gained on Saturday when the breakfast were apparently cooked to order.

I also wondered why no Continental Breakfast appeared on the Menu and why my cereal toast and tea was charged at the same rate as a full English ?

All in all a comfortabel Hotel with by and large efficient courteous and pleasant staff well sited and with plenty of parking. I did not use the mini gym nor the swimming pool facilities on offer. I would almost certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank David H

Dear David Holms197

Thank you for taking the time and trouble togive such a detailed review of our Hotel.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team here to be friendly and pleasant. I have passed on your kind words to the team here.

I have taken on board some of your constructive comments and we are working on resolving these so we can deliver an even better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was easy to find and was located perfectly for us as we were visiting Aldeburgh and Southwold.

There was a wedding happening there but we weren't disturbed at all by the guests.

The room was great however the camp bed was about 3 ft wide but other than that was very comfy the king bed was also comfy but a little stiff.

The breakfast was great having everything that you need for a fry up.

1 problem, there were some hairs left in the bath other than that we had a great visit

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Vlzio Tom,

Thank you for your very kind review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here and found our staff to be "great". I have shared your comments with the team here. Your comment regarding housekeeping standards we have taken on board and I am personally checking rooms daily in order that we can support the housekeeping team to give the cleanest rooms possible to our guests.