“Family visits”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Peterborough
“Family visits”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Took advantage of a short 2 night stay after the bank holiday wkend. Very few other guests so breakfast was not buffet but made freshly for us. Very generous portions and hot and delicious. Didn't eat in the hotel again as we have relatives in the area but the experimental menu looks better than the menus we have had on previous visits. Overall very good value for money and it would be our 1st choice stay if in the area again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Highand Fans,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your recent stay with us.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Jason Stringer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here for an early morning business meeting the following morning, and arrived late (21.00).Check in was good, (trainee did her very best, but still a little "scripted") and went more or less straight to the bar for some dinner.
TV was on LOUD with football, and not conducive to the work I had to do, but the barman obligingly turned it down. I had a bar snack a d c ouple of drinks while I finished off some urgent paperwork and emails. The warning bells should have started ringing with the kids in the bar drinking fizzy sugar filled drinks.
Sure enough on returning to my room, they were just down the corridor, screaming, running up and down and generally being kids afflicted with ADHD or whatever this week's excuse for bad behaviour is. Reception seemed to calm things down after a phone call.

About 3am a phone upstairs from me on vibrate started "buzzing" through the floor as the owner's alarm went off. He got up, used the bathroom, got ready and left. By now it was 3.45am and I'd given up on sleep.

Up for breakfast at 06.30, and checked out and away by 07.30 in more than good time for my 08.00 meeting 3 minutes away.

Not the hotel's fault, but probably one of the worst nights "sleep" I've ever endured.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jetsettel,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our Hotel.

I welcome your balanced review and feel you have been kind to us over some of the factors which were perhaps out of our control.

However, I have discussed with the Hotel team the problems you encountered and we would like to apologise for not delivering you a great nights sleep. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly should you need to come to Ipswich in future in order that I may ensure that you can experience the comfort and service you expect from Holiday Inn Hotels worldwide.

Yours sincerely

Jason Stringer

Travelers are raving about these Ipswich hotels

Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Food in the bar was fine. Room was clean but was awaken at 6.00am by the room next door having a shower it was so loud it sounded like they were showering in my room. Also very old shower mat to stop you slipping in the bath when taking a shower didnt want to touch that as looked a bit dirty!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Matt T,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our Hotel.
I am pleased that in the main your stay was an enjoyable one.
I am concerned tohear you were awoken by the guest in next room and will investigate with my maintenance Manager how we can resolve this. In terms of the shower mat, I have instructed our housekeeper to purchase new ones to replace where required.

Yours sincerely

Lydney
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Travelled to Ipswich for a school reunion and needed to stay overnight, as it is a long drive from my home. Having searched for suitable hotels via Booking.com I decided upon The Holiday Inn - Orwell as it was fairly close to my ultimate destination.

Finding the Hotel was easy, it is on the eats side of The River next to the awful, Orwell Bridge, ( what an ugly monstrosity totally out of keeping with the area)

Reception was superb , and efficient, My room on the ground floor was spacious, comfortable and well appointed. ( slight moan as a Tea Drinker why only 2 tea bags and yet loads of coffee and unlike every other hotel I have stayed in , no hot chocolate or biscuits?)

Restaurant , here by a slight conundrum , The menu shows a full breakfast only, despite the ingredients for a Continental breakfast being readily available and had I pre booked breakfast when I booked my room it would have cost me £5.00 more than it did. The greeting in the Restaurant and staff were all courteous and efficient, the restaurant was comfortable and roomy. Plenty of selection for cereals and not the individual packets, but only skimmed or semi skimmed milk ( arghhh) also seemingly, no sweeteners only sugar ( a downside if you are diabetic or just don't use sugar) Also an insistence on Saturday morning by the 'head' waitress that despite me saying I only required cereal, toast and tea that I should order 'cooked food' 3 times I had to decline and she could not also remember that I had asked for tea not coffee, ( training need I think or is that just me being picky )

Having had lunch elsewhere I decided on a sandwich for the evening snack ordered form the bar with coffee. Polite efficient service and an excellent ham sandwich and coffee.

Saturday night /sunday morning woken at 6.00 by incessant door banging , probably lack of thought by a small number of other guests, perhaps the door closers are a little fierce. Otherwise an undisturbed 2 nights .

Sunday breakfast was also efficient although a colleague staying in the hotel had a cooked breakfast, which seemed to be self service from the hot buffet and frankly, did not look that appetising, unlike the impression I gained on Saturday when the breakfast were apparently cooked to order.

I also wondered why no Continental Breakfast appeared on the Menu and why my cereal toast and tea was charged at the same rate as a full English ?

All in all a comfortabel Hotel with by and large efficient courteous and pleasant staff well sited and with plenty of parking. I did not use the mini gym nor the swimming pool facilities on offer. I would almost certainly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank David H
Dear David Holms197

Thank you for taking the time and trouble togive such a detailed review of our Hotel.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team here to be friendly and pleasant. I have passed on your kind words to the team here.

I have taken on board some of your constructive comments and we are working on resolving these so we can deliver an even better guest experience in the future.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was easy to find and was located perfectly for us as we were visiting Aldeburgh and Southwold.

There was a wedding happening there but we weren't disturbed at all by the guests.

The room was great however the camp bed was about 3 ft wide but other than that was very comfy the king bed was also comfy but a little stiff.

The breakfast was great having everything that you need for a fry up.

1 problem, there were some hairs left in the bath other than that we had a great visit

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Vlzio Tom,

Thank you for your very kind review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here and found our staff to be "great". I have shared your comments with the team here. Your comment regarding housekeeping standards we have taken on board and I am personally checking rooms daily in order that we can support the housekeeping team to give the cleanest rooms possible to our guests.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We don't normally stay at a Holiday Inn and probably won't again !
Not sure if this hotel is typical of the chain,but it seems very dated and not at all like other hotels visited recently.
We experienced confusion over our booking including internet (which we never received) breakfast to which I had to explain four times that I had paid for and the complimentary bottle of wine which when we returned to our room in the evening to enjoy was actually a minature bottle,perhaps one guest has to watch the other drink it or have a spoonful each !
Having said that that some of the staff were very helpful and the use of the health club facilities were a nice addition.
Breakfast was ok but I have had better at cheaper rate hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Anthony S,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased that you have mentioned that you have mentioned our very helpful staff.However, I'm sorry you were unhappy with the appearance of the property. Your comments have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

was there for a wedding, disco came with package, horrendous. Sound way above decibel limit even far away, continual boom boom boom. Illegal for hotel to submit employees to.
DJ did not speak, only played loud noise, songs impossible to detect, extremely distorted. We were all blasted from another disco from the other function room.
We were in the disco game for thirty years, music needs to be suitable for all ages and not just for the drunk, who jump up and down.. It took 4 of us to organise, different dances, games, etc. etc.
The floor also needs to be bigger.
Why cannot hotels collate all the information they have on you so the latest says yes you have paid for this and that instead of looking at lots of different folders.
Breakfast needed a serious re think i.e .seating and food arriving at the right time.
Otherwise a great hotel.

Room Tip: Ours was a very good size, loved the digital clock on the TV. Ask for a larger bath. Take earplugs...