“What happened to the Wi-Fi”

Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed overnight, room was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly We ate in the hotel but the menu was basic although the food was good. Sky - ESPN was not working and they didn't know why, not pleasing as we wanted to watch the FA CUp Semi Final. WiFi does not come as part of the overnight stay and they wanted to charge £14.95 for a day or something like £4 an hour - rip off especially when you can go to so many places now and don't have to pay for it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Quinton O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Good Day Sirs. Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Ipswich Orwell. I am glad to hear that you found our rooms and food offerings up to standard. We offer the Sky sport channels as standard in rooms but not the ESPN channel. I am sure if you requested the channel at the bar area my staff would have changed the channel as requested. The internet packages are set as standard across the group and have been priced to be as competitive as possible. Kind Regards Quinton O’Shea

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We booked for 3 to stay at the Holiday Inn Ipswich Orwell on line and arrived to find the room was basically a double room with a roll out bed pushed in between the double bed and the window. The roll out bed was so close to the double you had to squeeze to get past and one 4 occasions my husband banged his leg bruising it and scratching it on the metal of the roll out bed which was sharp and had a plastic cap missing. It is not acceptable to book a family room to get a double with a roll out bed.

Also the room was booked for three and there were only 2 sets of towels, only two cups and not enough teas and coffees for 3 people.

The shower gel was empty and the room was tired in need of a refurbishment. Also the window did not shut properly and caused a major draft so our daughter would not sleep in the roll out bed as it was too cold and draughty and also the springs were coming through the matress.

The bar is very poor only one bar staff and the first night she went down to change the barrel and left the bar empty for 15 minutes. Also serving stella in a normal glass caused the beer to go flat very quick. Lager needs to be served in a glass with a widget to stop it going flat, but the bar staff said she did not have any stella glasses.

We were offered to change rooms but after a long journey and unpacking we could not be bothered.

All in all a poor hotel and we will not be using again. There is a Premier Inn over the road which we will use in future as we regularly visit Ipswich to see relatives.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank THORN-CARTY

Thank you for your informative and detailed review of the Holiday Inn Ipswich Orwell. I am sorry that on this occasion your stay did not meet the standards we are renowned for. I note that a room move was offered and I am sure if you took us up on this you could have experienced an alternative option. Our rooms are due for an extensive refurbishment soon but in the interim we concentrate on keeping our product as clean and comfortable as possible. I am disappointed that the Housekeeper did not action the extra persons request and trust that on reporting this it would have been resolved. In regards to our Bar service, we consistently get excellent reviews on service and product and I have reviewed your comments with the bar team. Your glass observation will be taken up with our Beverage supplier who also supplies the correct glassware as standard. Kind Regards Quinton O’Shea

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed overnight on our way to a family funeral and were pleasantly surprised at the value. The room was clean and tidy, though I would have liked more than two tea bags as I am not a coffee drinker. Staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was delicious. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Quinton O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Sir, Thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay with us. I am glad that the staff welcomed you and that you felt very comfortable. I am also please to hear that our new Breakfast standard has produced the required comments and I shall gladly relate this to the teams. I will take your comments forward to our brand standard team regarding the amount of in-house condiments and I would believe that we would always provide more when requested. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future. Kind Regards

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is our third stay here and have no complaints. Bed is very comfortable and the hotel is quiet and easy to find.Only negative if I was pushed is the restaurant service can be a bit slow. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Quinton O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Sirs. Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your recent stay and your regular business. I am glad to hear the investment we made in our new bed toppers has had a positive outcome for all. I will take your comments regarding the speed of service in restaurant, further with the F&B staff as part of their development. Looking forward to welcoming you back again. Kind Regards

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I've used several venues in Suffolk for casual business meetings. For the first time I used the Holiday Inn, Ipswich Orwell to meet with someone regarding business. I feel compelled to commend the member of staff working on the bar. I believe her name was Ali / Alison. She was exceptionally friendly with a warm welcome and a credit to your business. I feel all too often people are expedient to criticise people and seldom offer words of praise. Please pass on my sincere thanks to her for making a comfortable atmosphere. Kind Regards

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sirs. Thank you for your kind remarks in regards to your recent business meeting at the Holiday Inn Ipswich Orwell. Alison is one of our most experienced members of staff and I will make sure I acknowledge and reward her. It is rewarding to receive these positive comments and further proves the dedication of our training programs and service culture. I am looking forward to welcoming you again to our establishment. Kind Regards

Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I was staying at the Premier Inn over the road but was a day delegate for a training course at The Holiday Inn and also returned to the restaurant in the evening.

Conference facilities: excellent. We had all we needed and the staff were only too happy to help.

Restaurant: really varied food, delicious salads. The service was excellent, I was given the bill before I asked for it!

I only wished I had stayed there as well!

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank HelenJ99
Quinton O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your positive comments.
I am glad that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable vegetarian meal and that you found our staff helpful.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hotel wasn't too busy but staff were very helpful. Alison in the bar was very friendly and chatty and thanks to the chef (Becky) for preparing a lovely vegetarian meal for me. Holiday inn menu's presume every vegetarian likes Risotto and it was good to come across staff who were willing to help. I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for your comments.
I am glad you found the Hotel welcoming and that the staff, especially Carl, were friendly and helpful.
I hope you will visit the Hotel again in the future.