“Poor food good service”

Ranked #280 of 446 Restaurants in Ipswich
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I have been to other Toby Carverys and they have been very good so was disappointed the food wasn't the same in Ipswich. The carver could be more polite with eye contact and a more cheery disposition. The veg looked like they had been left out to go dry and shrivel up. The cauliflower was so hard it was nearly raw and had no cheese like taste....just watery. Our waitress Donna was helpful although she did have to direct alot of people where to queue up. Some signs would be helpful. Cutlery should be checked before being laid out on the table for remnants of food. This branch could do ALOT better.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was hopeing for a great time with my family. The chef on the carvery was very friendly and informed us of the toddler meal,felt sorry for the chef as it bloody hot behid there Damian pulled the chef off the carvery into the kitchen and shouted in a manner that was so rude that the whole place could hear him. If he spoke to me like that i would walk out after i punched him. Damian get a grip of yourself, your staff are fab, but you putting me off ever returning. Please let me know when you are not there so i can enjoy a lovely meal with my family.

2  Thank Angry M
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Many reviews on here are not good ones, we read them and still decided to give it a try, so glad we did. Many people complained about the "not so hot food", our food was plenty hot enough, it was just right to eat and if you have children with you its perfect for them. Many people said that they waited upto 40 mins for a seat, we waited 20 mins but it is a small restaurant so please expect to wait a little while, they give you a little hand held device that you can take out with you and can sit in your car or just wait in the bar area, as for the food in general, great, the pork and beef were cooked perfectly, the food area is a bit messy but it is to be expected when people are constantly loading their plates, dont be so fussy at the mess, you dont have to clean it up and it dont affect your food. The chef was a little grumpy but hey, he is cutting peoples meat all day in extreme heat, wouldn't you be grumpy, again, it didn't affect our meal and it shouldn't affect yours. The waiter was very polite and was never far away if we needed something, i was happy to leave a tip for him. Overall, we are going to go back with the children one day, if you think that most people go around dinner time, it might be worth going around 4pm or later if you dont want to wait so long.

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Opted to go here during a night out with friends . First impressions were that the newly built place was more like a fast food restaurant .. With no ambience at all . We got a table quickly considering it was a Saturday night and service was quick . We all opted for the carvery . Plenty of meat given but the vegetables were all very bland and the roast potatoes ..... Barely roasted and very dry . Gravy lacking in flavour and watery . Meal was a chore to eat and didnt finish it. Desserts were unimaginative and consisted of icecream with everything . Meal was cheap coming in at £50 for 5 of us but wouldn't be my first chance of place to go. There are much tastier carverys out there

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Visited the carvery on Mothers Day. It was extremely busy, was told it would be a 45 minute wait for a table for 6 but it wasn't anywhere near that long. We all had the carvery. My meal was good but I found that they didn't give as much meat to the ladies as they did to the men!!!!!!!!!!! My pork was very tasty but the beef was really fatty and I couldn't eat it. The vegetable choice was good and nicely cooked especially the parsnips. Loved the roast potatoes and the gravy was very tasty. Was too full for a pudding but tried a profiterole which was yummy. On the whole we all enjoyed our meals and would definitely visit again. The staff were attentive and very friendly.