“Mothers day”

Cuisines: European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Visited this for the first time with my 3 sons for mothers. Staff very attentive however, I had a breakfast which i thought was overpriced bearing in mind the good deals that are out there for a cooked breakfast. The boys all had eggs benedict but all the eggs were hard so not something that we would have again. Overall very expensive, would go back to savout the pastries.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Popped in on Bank Holiday Monday with the misses & the kids (6 & 2). We were shown to a table immediately and offered drinks - our server (Gavin) was a definite highlight - attentive, friendly and taking orders by memory, no notepad required. Free wifi is available so the kids remained entertained throughout. Ordered sausage & beans for the kids while we ordered a chicken caesar salad and a club sandwich between us. Food came out promptly and was very serviceable - caesar salad was crisp and not overdressed, bacon and warm croutes were nice, chicken tasted like that deli stuff you get out of a packet but I didn't mind. Club sandwich was very good, accompanied by crisps and a gorgeous side salad of lamb's lettuce, tomato, olive and artichoke in a vinaigrette - yum. Kids meals of sausage and beans were… (lincolnshire) sausage and beans. To be fair no starch was advertised and none arrived but for the six year old, he needed some carbs so I donated a croute to him (might be worth looking at the composition of the kids menu PV, though it is good value). Apple juices for kids arrived with lids on plastic cups - a good thought. After lunch we ordered a couple of lattes, a strawberry mille feuile, a tarte aux fruits and a brownie and ice cream for the kids. There was only one brownie left so we shared it between them and it was a real hit with the boy! Our dessert experience was less fulfilling. My tart aux fruits appeared as a tart aux fraises but I didn't really care so I kept it - pastry pretty tough at the edge and doughy in the middle, creme pat was nice and the glazed strawberries OK but not high class patisserie. Mrs D's mille feuile was heavy, made with whipped cream and the pastry was softish and doughy, not crisp and light as it should be. Coffee was nondescript to be honest: inoffensive, anglicised Costa fare I'm afraid. A pity. It adds up price wise so the lunch in total with 4 soft drinks came to £43. We tipped appropriately. I would go back to give it another try chiefly as the service was impressive (even with the error at dessert time) but I'd be wary of the coffee and cake.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Well, visited on a Saturday. Ordered a hot brownie.
Arrived via a grumpy young girl. She then went off again to collect my friends cake. I asked for a spoon to get a glazed look... Off she goes again, in the meantime my icecream had been melting on my brownie. Back she comes with a soup spoon. My godness. Seriously you pay over £4 for a brownie to not be presented with a spoon and when you do a completely inappropriate spoon. Also my teapot was broken.
Disaster, overall very disappoint on this occasion.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

The food and drink is of a consistently high quality, both the cakes, lunches, breakfasts and coffee is good. Some people may find it a little expensive as you could get a similar thing a lot of other places, however i think you pay for the quality you get. Also the staff are always efficient and helpful.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My first experience of this tasteful 'chain' was the premises on the corner of St. James's Street and Piccadilly in London. Their Eggs Benedict Royal was wonderful. I was delighted when they opened a branch in Ipswich and I am really glad that the quality has transferred with it. Just look in their window at the wonderful selection of cakes and only a very strong will power stops you going in. With the first fork full of your chosen delight your taste buds will confirm your selection as spot on. It is no surprise that, even in these continuing difficult financial times, quality will always succeed and you only have to see this well frequented establishment to know that's true.