“Really great hotel”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Really great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Wonderful return to this hotel wih our 3yo & 6yo who fondly call this 'dolphin swimming pool hotel'. Our best family room yet, it was huge with a double bed, single and double sofabed, still lots of room to move around. Always really clean and welcoming. The food is great with 3 choices for the inclusive dinner option and ideal kids menu, I really enjoyed the pie, my husband the lamb, the kids love the soup. Breakfast is superb mix of cereals, pastries, fruit, yogurt and cooked; which you help yourself to. There was a prom on the night we stayed - entertaining as they arrived and didn't interfere with our stay. Good spa and pool, nice brook, free wi-fi. Little old fashioned but good value

Room Tip: We like the rooms in the main hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent return visit to us. We are glad your children enjoyed the “dolphin pool” and that you found the hotel clean and welcoming and that you found the dining experiences to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Booked this Hotel as recommended by a colleague as was visiting nearby Ipswich and Felixstowe. Lovely looking building, room was very nice and clean, pool and gym were a great added bonus, food on the evening was really good and breakfast the next morning was superb. The staff who I met were all very welcoming and will certainly be returning when in the area again(next week in fact). I'm looking forward to another relaxing stay after a long day driving.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay following a recommendation by your colleague. Your complimentary comments about the facilities and service are much appreciated and have been passed on to the team. It is good to know when we have satisfied customers and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed here for one night as a birthday present for my girlfriend - the best thing about this place is the pool. The rest of the hotel is old fashioned and austere. Tried to book spa treatments in advance to be told they were fully booked. Worst bit was the evening meal - we prepaid our meals before arrival only to be told that they didn't have what we asked for on the menu. Having been told by our waiter that we would not pay any extra if we chose an alternative meal an extra £19 was slapped on our bill on departure.

Despite our complaints this was not resolved.

Would not stay here again - totally soured my girlfriend's birthday

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review of your stay. I was sorry to read that we did not meet you expectations and apologize for the issues you experienced in the restaurant. I will ensure our communications are improved to ensure correct charges are made. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in a great deal. We got a two night stay, unlimited spa access, breakfast and a three course meal both nights for a great price. We stayed in a little separate 'cottage' room outside. The bed was big and the TV was good. It definitely needs a big update to come into the 21st century! The pillows were unbearably uncomfortable and the bed wasn't super comfty. The spa was good, the massage we had was incredible! The food was also so yummy, really well presented and lovely staff in the restaurant. The front desk staff weren't very attentive or welcoming we didn't think. But overall the stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Many thanks for the review of your recent stay. We were delighted to learn that we got certain aspects of your stay right and were particularly pleased that you enjoyed the food, spa treatments and leisure facilities. Your feedback about the welcome, beds and pillows has been noted. We regularly review the condition of the beds and pillows and replace when necessary. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

I was working in the area and stayed here for 4 nights leaving this morning. I booked an executive room, and thank goodness as I hate to think what a standard room could look like ! In my opinion the room and bathroom need a refurb, tired and well thumbed. Bed very clean and comfortable, towels fine. A quite hotel, so quite restful. Menu and food just about okay, nothing special, roast of the day plain and small in quantity, on paying more for chicken or steak not really much better, however room service quite good, comes with a £5 charge. I would not return here as not my cup of tea..

Room Tip: Book the best one possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate the review of your recent stay. Sorry that the hotel was not to your liking, but was pleased to hear that you had a restful stay with us. We have been undertaking re decorations in the hotel and plan for them to continue.
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Stayed here for a wedding and have to say that, overall, I did love the place. I just felt there were a few small areas for improvement. Will try to tell it in order:

1) Check in. Arrived slightly before check in time. I was fine with them saying the room was not ready (I expected it) however the woman at the desk made me feel stupid for even enquiring. This lady seemed rude and pre-occupied and it was a terrible first impression. However, please read on as this was a one off and the other staff were lovely!
2) Got pulled in to help in the bridal suite. Beautiful rooms and there was a lady who brought us champagne. Initially, when this lady entered I thought she must be the planner, she was so helpful, knew what she was doing and happy to stay and chat and help. It turned out she was one of the housekeepers so not involved with the wedding but just displaying that excellent level of customer service.
3) Actually got to check in. Some confusion about which account the bill would come out of (on our end, not the hotel's.) Lady that helped us figure this out went above and beyond basic customer service. Not just that, but she was so friendly and helpful that I'm only sorry I didn't catch her name as I would have put it in the review.
4) Wedding food = Food (especially dessert) was good, however, the wedding dinner took over 3 hours for a party of approx 80. I have been to a lot of other weddings where this has been much quicker and food still good. In fairness, I don't know how big their kitchens are but when at a wedding 1 course an hour seems too much to me. Although, each course did seem worth the wait!
5) Room. Good. Actually, very nice. The bathroom let it down massively though. I had been looking forward to a good soak in the tub but the tiles need a deep clean. Showered instead as it felt quite uncomfortable and grimy in there. All the bathroom features are outdated. In our room had to search for the toilet flush (actually in the shower.) The bed, view, TV and other facilities were fantastic. The toilet paper though was probably the worst I had ever encountered.
6) The breakfast. I found the cooked breakfast to be disappointing. The bacon was dried to a crisp and inedible and the fried egg, in contrast, massively undercooked. However, my friends did enjoy it. As it was a buffet breakfast I was able to switch to pastries etc. and these were a much better option although I don't think they were fresh in that day.
7) The pool area. The best part of the stay. When we visited it was quiet, I imagine when it's busy you get less out of the experience. The pool and changing rooms were very clean and had every facility you could possibly need. I can't praise this side of the hotel enough, it was fantastic.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the place, I enjoyed the hotel and most of the food I had there. I also found that, overall, the staff were great. As soon as we got home we planned our next visit. I just think that instead of being "very good" this place could get an "amazing" review with some very small and easy changes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank yorkie88_13
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Many thanks for your detailed review of your recent stay. It was good to read of the things that we got right but are grateful to you for your constructive comments about the other aspects of your stay. We will do what we can to improve the service aspects of your review although we have never before been made aware of slow service at wedding receptions. The time taken for the reception depends entirely on the speed of the guests eating their meal and the requirements of the bride and groom. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next planned visit to the hotel.
Southport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night on business on 11th June. This was my 2nd stay at this hotel, and on both occasions the service from everyone from the Reception to the Restaurant has been great!
The rooms are a little tired, but they are clean and well appointed.
The gym is fairly small but has everything you need; the pool is lovely!
I was lucky to book a Personal Trainer who works in the gym. I did Boxing pad training, It was an amazing workout and Dan was an excellent trainer. I would highly recommend Dan to the lucky locals that use the gym regularly!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you your review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your return visit to the hotel and it was good to hear that you enjoyed the services provided, especially the training you received from Dan. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Novotel Ipswich
Novotel Ipswich
#4 of 18 in Ipswich

Been to Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!