“Lovely relaxing break”

Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Our teenage daughters treated us to a night at this hotel as a christmas present. The hotel is in a residential area about 5 miles outside of Ipswich, so you need a car to get around. However unlike some hotels where drink and food is very expensive, the Belstead Brook is very reasonably priced. The restaurant offered three courses for £21 off of a selective menu, alternatively you could choose off of the main menu or eat in a very comfortable bar lounge. We chose the bar lounge, the atomosphere was very relaxing and food was beautifully cooked and served. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The spa area was clean and well equipt the treatments were a reasonable cost, although on this occasion we decided not to have any. The hotel is not for those who like a very modern, minimalistic feel, it has beautiful artwork on the walls and some of the building dates back to the 14th century. The restaurant has amazing mahogany carved features. Our room had all the usual facilities our shower was over the bath and the water pressure/ heat was good. The bed was comfy and the room clean. Breakfast which was included in the stay was of a good selection including a hot buffet and cereals/ fruits and yohurts. We would definately return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane M
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thank you for the comprehensive and informative review of your recent stay with us. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the facilities and services we provided and found everything to your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We returned here after Christmas for a three night stay to recharge our batteries. I love this hotel - if I had the money I would buy it.! Rather like a favourite jumper it is lovely to return to. This time I went for an upgraded room in the main hotel [thinking floods and rain might spoil the enjoyment of the separate garden rooms. ] Yes the hotel is a little shabby in places but the staff are wonderfully helpful and flexible - I adore the pool area [it was busy this time, the hotel was full and there seemed to be a lot of people having spa breaks - so watch out management dont kill the fatted goose -] the food remains consistantly good and this time the breakfast queue was mainly under control [wedding guests being served separately]. There is a bit of traffic noise so pick your room carefully - the reception staff are more than willing to help. Overall well done Belstead Brook - we will be back.

Room Tip: garden rooms in the summer - upgrade if you can afford it - over looking the brook is lovely but th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank caroline b

Thank you for posting a review of your return trip to the hotel. It is good to know that we have satisfied customers and are delighted that you chose us for a third time to recover from the Christmas Festivities. We hope to welcome you back later this year.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I love staying here and have been visiting for 12 years, sometimes 4 times per year for a relaxing break away from work and troubles. It is our retreat. We love the ambience, the staff, the pool and always treat ourselves to an upgraded room. This time I was treated by my hubby to a 2 hour spa/massage and it was amazing. The hotel decor is in keeping with the age of the property however I do agree that an ongoing redec programme is worthwhile. We have seen evidence of improvements over the years. It is a shame for us to find one problem as we truly love staying here, the steak for both of us was not good. I have written separately to the hotel as I don't wish to taint the review as we can only recommend this hotel. We hope to revisit soon as breakfast is amazing, lunch menu great and huge portions and most dinner options have been perfect - however we do like our steak! Totally recommended for people that like a wonderful friendly atmosphere, fab pool and sauna and steam room, comfortable beds and authentic decor. Try the massage ladies, it was a great experience and very reasonably priced, book in advance

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikiann

Thank you for your review of your latest visit to the hotel. Your kind comments have been passed to the team. It is good to know when we have satisfied customers although I am sorry about your steaks. I was pleased to see that the improvements we are making are being appreciated and we plan to continue to do this. We were delighted that you enjoyed your massage and look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

My overall experience was mediocre. The waiting staff were pretty inattentive - I was given my "welcome" glass of Buck's Fizz just before my dessert arrived. The cost was £60 per head, which was poor value for money. I don't think that I would return.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank SuffolkHotelhopper

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to learn that your experience was only mediocre and apologize that the service did not meet you expectations.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Great evening food was excellent and hot, staff fantastic as was the disco, the decoration of the function room was lovely the back gold and red theme was very festive. Third time my collegues and i hve attended a party night and will be back again next year.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your return visit to one of our Party Night’s you attended recently and found the food, service, disco and room decorations to your satisfaction. Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back for a fourth time in 2014. Happy Christmas.

Kind Regards

Chris

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Fantastic hotel, brilliant spa and leisure facilities; great restaurant/ food, lovely staff.

The room itself was nice, but the bathroom... dated, randomly placed toilet flush (in the shower!), and it all smelt a bit odd. At first this annoyed me, but after a few days at the hotel i learnt to look past it as the rest of the hotel was lovely. I did however prefer to shower in the gym then in my room... Never a fan of shower curtains sticking to me.

A small revamp of the rooms and this place would be lovely!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay and for the positive and constructive comments about your stay and the facilities. We are aware there is a need for works to be done in many of the bathrooms and hope that it is done soon. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon. Happy Christmas.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is our third stay at the Belstead Brook Hotel and in the same suite (more on that later). This time we decided to take our ten year old Daughter Molly for Christmas shopping in Ipswich and for a bit of R&R before Christmas gets in full swing. The staff are great from reception to the bar to the house keepers they are all very polite and make your stay a very pleasant experience. The restaurant with its traditional wood paneling offers superb food at a very reasonable price
(£ 21.95 for three courses) with the wines again being very reasonably priced (£ 16.50) for a bottle of Chenin Blanc. Other hotels want to take note of the Belstead Brook's pricing on drinks as you do not feel 'ripped of' as you can sometimes feel in other hotels with the bar bill. There was a very nice young chap behind the bar (I cannot remember his name) but he was so good to Molly as she loved the J2O Christmas drink and he only had three left so he made sure that they were saved for Molly, well done and I hope that the manager of the hotel reads this and praises him accordingly? We stayed in one of the presidential suites room 324, this is a very large and spacious room with two bathrooms and has avery nice feel about it. My only concern is that and although they have updated the decor, it still feels very dated and not very well decorated. The carper is dirty and is well past it's sell by date. The bathroom although clean looks grimy where the years of water marks have stained the glass to the shower and the shower head plus the grouting needs well re-grouted. For a suite a plastic toilet lid is unacceptable. Personally and if I were the management I would shut that room down and change over the whole of the suite as it is a lot of money to pay for a room that needs modernising. The hotels facilities especially the pool, sauna, spa etc are 1st class. So all in all a very good stay and we will definitely be back, but come on the management do your staff the credit that they deserve and modernise suite 324 it does not do you or your staff justice.

Room Tip: Don't be put in the outside accommodation block away from the main hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you for your constructive and comprehensive review of your recent return trip to Belstead Brook Hotel. We were delighted to read that you and Molly were happy with the services provided and will ensure your comments are passed on to the relevant members of the team and in particular to the barman.

The Company is aware of the need for upgrading sections of the property and we have been working on numerous improvements and redecoration's within the hotel. It is our intention to continue this program. It is good to read that you will definitely be returning and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
2 mi away
#10 of 18 in Ipswich
Seckford Hall
Seckford Hall
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge

Been to Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel? Share your experiences!