“Lovely welcoming hotel after a long journey”

Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here on several occasions, I always try to get booked in here if I work in Ipswich, lovely quiet location, welcoming staff, nice food with the bonus of the leisure centre!

It's a bit difficult to find but well worth the effort of looking and locating!

The hotel has an olde worlde atmosphere and the restaurant has a lovely atmosphere whether its evening or breakfast, nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

• Stayed: November 2012
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Many thanks for your kind comments about the services and facilities provided at Belstead Brook Hotel. It is good to know when we get things right and we look forward to your next visit when you are working in the area.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I booked here for my boyfriends birthday as he wanted a massage so the spa package was perfect.
Receptionist was very polite and helpful on check in (Jenny I believe). The room was a good size as I think they had upgraded us which was very much appreciated :). Only thing is the glasses could have done with a good clean as were still a bit dirty.
Spa treatments brilliant thank you very much Steph, my boyfriend couldn't praise you enough for his back massage.
Food superb and very tasty. Thanks for a brilliant stay we would definitely come again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent spa break with us and found the facilities and services to your satisfaction. Your comments have been passed on to the team and in particular to Jenny and Steph. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Lots of character and history attached to parts of this hotel, which I like. The restaurant is in what appears to be the oldest part of the building, which is quite charming.
Nice entrance and reception area and good parking.
The room was good too but the bathroom needed to be refurbished. I understand that water does cause wear and tear, but the taps (once gold plated I assume) had definitely seen much better days. The bathroom also needed re-decorating, even though it was clean enough.
Food finished serving at 9pm, which I though was a little early so I had to eat elsewhere (en route) as I was travelling late.
I did quite like the place and would stay again, hoping for a bathroom in a better condition.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and your complimentary and constructive feedback. I am glad you found the restaurant to taste. It certainly does have a lot of character and charm. We are in the process of changing the taps in the hotel bedrooms as well as decorating bedrooms and bathrooms. Food is available from the bar snack menu until 9.30pm, but last orders in the restaurant are 9.00pm. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed for four nights at this hotel, one of which we were attending our friend’s wedding. We have recently been struggling with a very stressful time and felt like we needed a break and that is exactly what we got.
We were really looked after by the staff, who were polite, welcoming, always spoke when we met them in the reception or corridor, the staff could not do enough to please.
The buildings and grounds were intriguing, with some interesting historical characteristics. I felt as though I was staying with my Grandparents, surrounded by lovely oak furniture and excellent family portraits on the walls. Superbly cared for oak panelled fire places in the dining room, where we were served a fine traditional English breakfast and the starched white table cloths set a scene that really needs to be treasured. I felt like I was spending time in a living museum and even thought I saw the odd ghost or two.
We absolutely loved it here and after spending time relaxing in the exotic spa area, after just a few hours, we had both totally relaxed.
Yes we did notice that the place needed decorating and I hope when you do get round to decorating it, you don’t knock the soul out of the place by ‘modernising’ it! Cobwebs, grubbiness around the edges, for us, all added to the overall experience. The basic hygiene standards were absolutely fine.
The wedding was wonderful, one of the best I have been to.
We will definitely be back; I would love to spend Christmas in this wonderful place, sitting by a log fire. This hotel is a rare commodity that needs to be treasured.
A refreshingly small glimpse into traditional England, please preserve it.
Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your break and you felt refreshed from it and the wedding that was held at the hotel. Our hotel is indeed very different from the modern, corporate hotel and we believe it is because of this and the great team who work in the hotel that we have so many regular guests who return to the hotel. We will continue with our redecorating program but will ensure we preserve the traditional values of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We spent a couple of nights on a DBB basis (which is much cheaper booing online than direct with the hotel). It is not easy to find but, despite being surrounding by housing estates, it has large grounds and feels secluded and quiet.
Our room could do with a bit of a makeover but was clean, comfortable and had all that you would want, if a little old fashioned in parts.
The restaurant is a series of rooms, the first is very dark (Jacobean panelling) but the third ("The Library") is bright and has good views over the grounds - we much preferred it. Dinner was quite good but the service on our first night was rather slow. Breakfast was varied and the hot stuff was much warmer than many hotels.(tip - we order poached eggs - they're done for you and you get a hot plate to put the rest of your buffet on - we do this in most hotels we stay in which have buffet breakfasts)
The hotel is 15 minutes away from Flatford Mill - wonderful Constable experience

Room Tip: Always ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us and for the constructive comments you made about your stay. The hotel is not the easiest place to find but the brown tourist signs from the A12/A14 should direct guests to the hotel. I am glad you found your room to be clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed you visit to Flatford Mill. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

First impressions of this hotel are very good. It's an old hunting lodge (bizarrely now in the middle of a housing estate!) so is imposing as you drive in. Reception staff were great. Extremely helpful, very polite - the perfect welcome. We were in a Garden Room, which is another name for a row of rooms away from the main building. Outside, there were weeds growing through paving slabs and there were so many cobwebs on the outside lights I am surprised that you could even see the light! Inside was clean but very dated and a bit tatty. Wall paper starting to peel off the wall, paint peeling off the bath panel and the toilet flush encrusted with limescale. We had a big cobweb hanging from the ceiling but it was one of those you could only see while lying down in the bed (so I can understand how the cleaner missed it). There was quite a lot of dirt in the window frame too and our room service booklet had been used to squash an earwig so it was nicely splattered inside! The bed was large and comfy, nice quality bed linen, new TV and the tea tray was immaculate and well stocked. We went for a swim in the lovely pool and also went in the steam room and jacuzzi. The pool was plenty big enough for relaxers and swimmers alike. Again, all staff were very good. Dinner was excellent, both nights we stayed. For the price, I was expecting pub grub, but this was proper restaurant food. It was extremely tasty and well presented. Dining staff were fantastic. Our waitress on the first night couldn't do enough for us and even helped us decide where to go the following day, bringing us leaflets to look at. On our second night there was a wedding. Some people in the restaurant were complaining about their food and the slowness of the service, but our meal was excellent and although the service was slower than the previous night, we were enjoying ourselves so much in the lovely old restaurant that it really didn't matter.
We were warned by the staff to come early for breakfast the next day as many of the wedding guests were staying over and they thought there would be a rush. In the end they reserved us a table so we wouldn't have to worry, which was great. Breakfast was great. Nice and hot with plenty of choice.
This hotel is in need of a facelift, but they have the right people, providing a great service and that made for a thoroughly enjoyable weekend without breaking the bank. Given the choice of some of the larger, more modern hotels or this place, I'd choose this one every time. The things that were wrong were not dreadful and the good stuff massively outweighed the little niggles. For the price, I think you would be hard pushed to beat this hotel.

Room Tip: If you get a garden room, the one with the patio door is nicer
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay with us. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the facilities and services provided and in particular the leisure facilities and the food we served in the restaurant. It is always good to hear when the service the team provides is appreciated and we thank you for your complimentary comments about the team. I will ensure they are passed on to them. We are aware of the need for the hotel to have a facelift. We are in the process of a limited amount of upgrading and redecoration program and plan to continue. Improvements are being recognized by our regular customers, but we have plenty more to do. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Turned up late here.. So couldn't experience the spa. However the room was big and good, and bizarrely had two showers.

The barman was quite familiar with us "mate" but that was fine.

The best bit though was what I believe to be the night security guy. He was all in black, in what looked like some kind of cheap US SWAT team uniform (minus the weapons). However he was good enough to show me how cool his torch was (in between clearing plates from the dining room) and his swagger was to die for. I felt secure in that if we were overrun (in our quiet cul de sac) by hardened prison escapees, he would defend us.

Very happy and will stay again to check out the pool!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Gats0man

Thank you for your review. I am glad you found your room to your liking and were kept entertained by the night porter and hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon in order for you to make use of the leisure facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
#3 of 18 in Ipswich
Hintlesham Hall
Hintlesham Hall
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham

Been to Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel? Share your experiences!