“Second time here”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
“Second time here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was our second stay here, and as tour leaders, we had 23 members of our group with us, all of whom were very happy with the hotel and the service and cheerful welcome we received at reception. Since our last visit a year ago, extensive refurbishment has taken place, which has brightened up the dining room and the bedroom we were allocated, which was different from our first visit. It was clean, tidy and bright with plenty of room for two. The bathroom was clean - my only gripe being the shower curtain in the bath which seems to want to wrap itself around me when taking a shower! This is really a minor thing and will be found in many hotels. As a group, we had a choice of three starters, mains and puddings, which were pre-ordered for the evening at breakfast, and were well cooked, delivered quickly and hot, so that each table was served together - no individuals had to wait for their food whilst others tucked in! Breakfast was self serve and had a good choice from Continrntal to full English or anything in between, with juices and fruit readily available. Coffee and tea were brought to the table on being seated and ordered, again with little delay. The staff were excellent, helpful and cheerful. One of the group had a birthday whilst there and the staff made a great fuss of her at dinner, providing a special pudding, complete with candles. We also had a couple of friends to dine with us on one evening, which was accomodated with no problem. The public facilities are excellent, as is the spa and swimming pool. The hotel is set in large grounds on the outskirts of Ipswich and there is plenty of car parking, even accomodating our coach without causing a nuisance to other guests, which can be be a problem with more central hotels. It is well situated for access to major routes and there are many attractions within a few miles to keep any one busy for a week.
I can thoroughly recommend this hotel to groups and individuals looking for a value for money break.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank James B
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for posting your comprehensive review of your recent return visit to the hotel. We were very pleased to learn that everything went well and that you enjoyed the services and facilities we provided. The team take great encouragement from your kind comments and it is good to know when we get things right.

I am delighted that the redecorations that we are in the process of undertaking are appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Wisbech, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is set in beautiful grounds and if you like the smell of wet paint that is still tacky, want to flush the toilet in the shower and don't want to eat this is the place for you.
I go to the restaurant to be told you must book a table - so I book for 7.30 for a light supper, when I arrive at 7.30 2 tables occupied no food , I order just a main course,
starters arrive table one,
mains arrive table one,
starters arrive table 2,
and I am still waiting
2 further tables and starters duly arrive at 2 further tables
by now I have been waiting 50 minutes for chicken and salad SO I GET UP AND LEAVE THE RESTURANT FOLLOWED BY A BOY IN A WRINKLED SHIRT WHO SAID AND I QUOTE "CHICKEN TAKES A LONG TIME TO COOK" TO WHICH I REPLY I DID NOT ORDER A WHOLE CHICKEN
ok he said I will take it off your bill "WHAT BILL I DID NOT GET TO EAT"

BREAKFAST WAS NO BETTER, GREETED BY A SIGN Please wait to be seated BY WHO the only person in the restaurant was the bar man doing his accounts from the previous evening
so again I gave up, and that meal I had paid for in the price of the paint smelling hotel room

When I mentioned this to the receptionist as I checked out I was told Oh I cant do anything now my computer is down I will email you, well that was 2 days ago and still waiting !!!!!!!!!!!!!! To date I have still not received my invoice

I will be going to Ipswich several times this year but this was my first and last stay at this hotel MY ADVISE IF YOU WANT TO EAT DONT STAY HERE

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mishamuppet
Thank you for your review. Sorry about the smell of paint, but we sre undergoing redecorations and that is what happens. All food is cooked freshly and to order and I am sorry it took so long. The automated order system indicated there was a 30 minute delay before it was about to be served, not 50 minutes. It always seems longer if a starter is not ordered. Guests are seated for breakfast as soon as a member of staff is available to do so who explains the procedure we offer for breakfast. Sorry there was nobody at the entrance to greet you as they were attending to other guests. The Bar man does not work at breakfast, so I cannot understand who you mistook this person for.

I apologize that the Front Office system went down on the morning of your check out and presume you have now received your invoice. It would appear that you encountered an unfortunate series of events during your stay which is reflected in your review. I assure you this is most unusual.
Braintree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We have just expereienced our first 'bargain overnight break' at the hotel. We absolutely loved it and thought it was excellent value. We were tempted to stay another night and although we didn't we will most definitely go back in the not too distant future. Our room was brilliant as was the food and service by staff was excellent.......and a lovely bonus to have use of the pool and gym. It was a most enjoyable and relaxing stay. We only live in Essex so no distance for us either. Thank you all staff..................

4 Thank Pauline P
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay. We were delighted you enjoyed the facilities and services provided and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I am writing this review one week after our stay. We had been visiting a lot of local venues with the view of picking one to stage our Wedding reception. I had visited the Belstead Brook several times in the past and always thought of it to be way out of our budget, so didn't bother considering it. We had just visited The Claydon Country Hotel near Ipswich and liked it, Driving home my other half suggested popping in to have a look around Belstead Brook. We did and were greeted warmly by Katie the Wedding/Event Organiser, she sat us down and we discussed our budget and plans. Amazingly Katie offered us a custom Wedding package which allowed us to stay under budget and keep all the trimmings. Over the next six months we had several meetings with Katie and Vicki, who never complained when we changed things around, they were never anything other than thoughtful, patient and happy to help.
Our big day arrived, after the Church Wedding we arrived at the Belstead Brook and were made to feel incredibly special, we were expertly guided through out our day. The Wedding Breakfast was served swiftly by attentive professional staff , The food was hot and looked wonderful. The Reception was in the Willow suite, the Buffet was just perfect . We had a Ceilidh band playing and the space was ideal for our 120 guests, with plenty space for dancing, eating and having an excellent time.
The Presidential Suite was beautiful, well presented and all part of the deal. Lots of our guests made the most of the discounted rooms and stayed the night so we could all have, what turned out to be a very tasty breakfast together. The children blew off steam after breakfast by going swimming in the charming swimming pool on site.
Everything about our experience with Belstead Brook has been really happy, I don't believe we could have had such a memorable happy Wedding anywhere else for the price we paid.
If you're considering this as a potential venue for your Wedding, go and speak to Katie or Vicki and be as amazed and cared for as we were by them...........

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Roguedriver
Thank you for your comprehensive review of your wedding reception held recently with us and for the complimentary comments about the services and facilities. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your wedding reception and that everything went well for you. It is always good to know when we get things right. Your kind comments concerning the staff have been passed on to them and in particular to Katie and Vicki.
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Rang on the day to be told the online price for the Break was not available £10 more and then had to upgrade to get a double. Room nice enough but no nice touches, no bottled water or many teas with the tea making facilities, no tissues. Constant high pitched sound all night from the heating system down the corridor. Breakfast in the room has £7.95 tray charge for each person! Having said that we did say we were not very happy with that and so they were waived. It's that sort of service you expect in this sort of hotel. Leisure facilities nice. Food in restaurant at dinner quite limited and only fair quality but staff attentive. This would be a lovely place if just a little more attention to detail and little extras/touches added.

1 Thank Wales-Visitor2011
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to complete your review of your recent stay and for the constructive comments you raised about the services and facilities you received. We do require at least 24 hours notice for guests making reservations with packages that include flowers. Sorry you were disturbed by the heating system. This will be checked to ensure it is fixed. We hope to welcome you back sometime in the future.
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stay in Room 307 for one night, Saturday into Sunday. Our room was clean but because the paint work needed doing it made it look tired. Our bed was comfortable and with nice fresh clean bedding. I would have liked a small fridge but there was tea and coffee supplied. Our bathroom was clean and didnt smell damp which I have found in some hotels. The fixtures and fitting could do with being replaced. When you pulled the toilet chain it didnt return for the next use.The staff were very nice and when we got back to the hotel after 12 it was closed but the night porter was at the other end of the phone and came and let us in straight away. The pool was lovely but we had no where to sit as all the beds and chairs were taken. Breakfast
Was good and hot. We paid £75 for our room and thought that was fair, anymore and we would have been disappointed. We would stay here again. We didn't eat at the hotel as we were at a family party for the night.

1 Thank EssexDeb
Many thanks for completing a review of your recent stay. We are in the process of a redecoration program which will include bedrooms and am confident that improvements will be recognized. I am delighted you found your room clean and comfortable and the breakfast good. Sorry that all chairs and loungers in the pool area were being occupied when you used the pool area. We hope we can welcome you for a return visit.
Chearsley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

The overall impression was that this was a very average hotel, but one that charged above average room prices. The term 'tired' springs to mind. The whole place appeared to be relatively clean but on closer inspection, no-one had really cleaned around the margins, particularly in the bedroom. Breakfast was OK but some fresh fruit rather than a few tinned peaches and grapefruit wouldn't have gone amiss. The buffet breakfast was reasonable The place appeared to be operating a skeleton staff as the reception was often unattended and only one person was avialble to do checkouts which meant that the queue of 5 people waiting to check out took a long time to deal with. Staff were friendly but there jsut weren't enough of them! Good spa facilities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay and for your constructive comments. All bedrooms are in the process of having the carpets and upholstery cleaned by contractors and am confident there will be an improvement in the rooms. We offer grapefruit and orange segments and apples on the buffet, but other fruit items are normally available on request. The reception desk is normally always manned from 7.00am until 10.30pm although their duties do involve some work at the back of reception. I am sorry there was a queue when you checked out. Glad you enjoyed the spa facilities.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Novotel Ipswich
Novotel Ipswich
#4 of 18 in Ipswich

Been to Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!