“Spa break let down” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Norwich
“Spa break let down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My fiancé had booked a short break away to Italy, but due to circumstances beyond our control we were unable to fly. I was disappointed as it was a 30th birthday present and a rare weekend away for the two of us, (no children). We decided to look on spa breaks, as we had previously booked a lovely relaxing break through them. I came across the belstead brook hotel and was sold by the photo of the spa and the grounds that surrounded it (9 acres). I thought it would be a lovely relaxing retreat to compensate not going to Italy. I was very wrong! On arrival the car park was full to capacity and neither the operator or receptionist had advised us that a wake was being held, we did think about turning the car round and continuing home.
The reception area has a welcome atmosphere and it was during the cold snap, the open fire was lit and looked very romantic. We were advised that our room was not ready but was invited to the bar area and told where to find the bar. The hotel has small signs which would not look out of place on the set of faulty towers! The carpets are in desperate need of a deep clean or removal and the walls would appreciate a coat or two of paint.
On arrival at the bar there was no attendant but a phone which was nicotine stained, with an instruction to say call reception for assistance.
We did and the bar staff arrived and was very friendly and made idle chit chat.
We wondered what the rest of the stay would bring and what our room would be like, having seen the decor and 90s styled heavy drapes in the bar and reception area.
As we had no children with us we decided we would sample the house wine, the rose was very nice and my fiancé enjoyed the Pinot Grigio.
We collected our room key and like others who have commented about their stay, we were informed there was a lift or provided with instruction on where to find our room.
As we had booked through spa breaks, our deal included flowers and handmade chocolates in the room on arrival and bath robes and slippers, we received none of the above! I did mention to the receptionist about this later on in the evening to which the reply was 'another room they haven't done'. The smell that hits you as soon as you turn the corner from the reception area is indescribable and not a pleasant smell.
After a couple of glasses of wine I decided I would stay in my room and my fiancé went to the spa. He thought it was ok.
The food was very nice and the service was friendly and efficient.
I visited the spa before I left and was let down once again by the uncleanliness and standards of the hotel. I was provided with a towel to use whilst in the spa area and when I unravelled the towel there was a chunk of dark brown matted hair within the middle of the towel. This to say the least was the cherry on the cake for the disastrous night spent at this hotel..
Needless to say we will not be returning to this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frillylu
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I was very sorry to learn that you were forced to cancel your trip to Italy and can understand your frustrations. The hotel has extensive free parking and sorry you were inconvenienced by other business the hotel had. I apologize you room was not prepared correctly and for the condition of the towel. We have taken this up with our laundry supplier as we do no check every towel we provide.

On a brighter note, I was pleased to read that you found the food and service to your satisfaction. I am glad to read that we at least get some things right..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Sudbury
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed in October 2012. The staff were lacking in any local knowledge. The hallway had a weird smell. The food was not good. Internet not available. Parking difficult. The hotel itself is tucked away behind a very big housing estate and poorly signed. Took several wrong turnings before finding it. Staff had no suggestions on different routes from A12 or into Ipswich Town. Drab decor in the rooms. Dated and tired bedrooms. Thoroughly unpleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jehsuffolk
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay earlier in the year. The hotel has extensive free car parking facilities and was unaware of any parking difficulties. The hotel is signposted by brown tourist signs from the A12 and it is a pity that you missed them. Wireless Internet is provided on a complimentary basis. Very occasionally the provider has been down, but is no different from any other provider. The hotel has embarked on improvements to the facilities and services since your stay, which include bar redecoration and refurbishment, leisure club upgrades and installation of flat screen TV’s in most rooms. We look forward to continuing this program in the bedrooms.
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Having recently stayed at the Belstead Brook Hotel I would like to state that I was more than a little disappointed.
After traveling a fair distance to get there, the first thing I needed was to go to the toilet, these I found to be in a disgusting state empty toilet rolls on the floor , waste bins full to overflowing and dirty sinks. I mentioned this to the person on reception who replied “Yes the housekeeper was expecting that, we had a party of ladies in for a conference today and they will not use the toilet upstairs, it will be cleaned this afternoon” as this was past 2.00pm I was sure that someone could have at least gone in with a black bag and picked up the rubbish.
We were then told where our room was and started to make our way up the stairs , it was not until we reached the first flour did we notice a lift , it would have been nice if the receptionist had pointed this out as it was clear that I have walking difficulties also we were carrying luggage.
On entering our room we were greeted with a very pleasant room containing a very large bed, two chairs and a small table as well as plenty of storage drawers and hanging space (plus cobwebs on the ceiling) .We also had French doors leading onto a small balcony, it came with a view of the brook and surrounding garden but it was a shame the view was marred with the sight of a boarded up house opposite.
In the bedroom there were two glasses but no water or cider/wine as I had expected when I made the booking, I queried this with reception and was told that this was not part of my booking package, I was not happy with this but accepted that maybe I had misunderstood the description.
We unpacked and decided that it would be nice to have an afternoon drink, we found the bar but to our surprise it was closed with the shutters down and no note stating where it would be possible to get a drink, After asking at reception, we were told that we could get one in the bar, after explaining we had already tried that , I then had to ask if she could possibly get us some, to which she replied yes, again it would have been nice if this service had been offered.
After a couple of drinks we then went back to our room to get ready for the evening, this is when I noticed the bathroom, considering this was a superior room the bathroom was a real let down, it consisted of a mis-mash of sanitary goods some with gold taps others with chrome, there were also turquoise & white tiles on floor, blue painted panels and different tiles by the bath, the bath had taps on the outside making getting in the bath very difficult. We were also supplied with two plastic cups, the hardest and properly the cheapest toilet paper possible, dirty walls and around the hand rail it had not been cleaned for quite awhile, there were also no tissues or toilet brush..
We went down for our evening meal and after a shaky start (due to the waitresses lack of English) we ordered our meal, we found although the menu had been very limited and they had run out of the only pudding wine that was on the menu, the meal was very good and my husband remarked that it was the best steak he had had in a long while. We decided that we would have coffee in the bar not realising that there was a large screen TV in there showing the football, I ordered two large brandies to have with the coffee and was very pleasantly surprised by the service I received from the young barman called Alex, I stated I would liked some hot water to warm the brandies and he know exactly what I meant, a sign of hope at last.
Breakfast on the first morning was OK but not the buffet breakfast that we had expected, I think this was due to the small number of people staying but out of courtesy it would had been nice if the guests had been told this..
We decided to spend the rest of the day out and once out of the new housing estate which surrounds the hotel, we found plenty to occupy ourselves, we returned back at 11.15pm and decided that we would finish the evening with a night cap, again we walked down to bar only to find that it was closed again (shutters down)we had to order the drinks from reception and pay night porter charges.
When we checked out we were advised to use the same credit we had used to book in or face delays in the charges going through of up to 30days, as it was we still had to pay a charge of £2.50 for using a credit card.
When asked if I had enjoyed my stay, I told them about the room and was told that if we came again they would put us in another room, I really don’t think that we will be returning to the Belstead Brook hotel as I am sure there are hotels of this rating around the Ipswich area where general house keeping, overall décor and customer service are paramount.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris B
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your review, a copy of which we have previously received through alternative correspondence with us. The points that you raised have been individually answered in my letter to you, but this is not the forum to post my detailed response to you. Suffice to say you constructive comments have been useful to us in improving the standards of service that we offer to our guests, as we are always looking to maintain and improve our levels of customer care. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

The selling point of this hotel is the staff. All very friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. Special mention to the waiting Staff and Dan the barman, who listened while I poured my heart out about the the reasons I was there for three nights. (Full time carer back at home and my first real break in a year). I had a great double room to myself with a small private balcony and ordered room service a couple of times. The cleaning staff respected my wishes to not be disturbed, but still left me plenty of coffees, tea & milk outside the door. The pool and spa area was fantastic and the hour long massage I had was one of the best ever. Thanks all for a relaxing stay. PS: Hope Cath enjoyed the books I left behind ;o)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark J
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your well earned rest and that you found the facilities and services to you satisfaction. Your kind comments have been passed on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I've recently just had a two night business stay at the Belstead. On arrival the reception staff and the reception area were impressive. My room (522) was quiet and with a novel spacious layout,. Then I noticed the filthy dirty headboard which unfortunately set the tone - the bed's mattress was so worn it was beyond uncomfortable , the landing carpets are threadbare and the decor is just so tired.

On the positive the breakfast was very good.

My ultimate frustration came on my second night after returning to the hotel at midnight and finding no night porter available to let me in to the hotel for over thirty minutes. After ringing every number possible to rise him I finally found him in the bar , but no apology was made for leaving me outside in freezing conditions whilst he enjoyed some social interaction.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Gary H
Chris_Holden, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for posting the review of your recent stay and for your observations. We have had all the headboards professionally cleaned recently but realize further improvements are required. We are in the process of replacing the headboards as well as many of the mattresses in the hotel. A redecoration program has started with some of the bedrooms, bar and leisure areas already completed. Our night service procedures will be reviewed as there should be no reason you had difficulty gaining access to the hotel, for which I apologize.
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Belstead on a number of occasions both for business and pleasure and I would not dream of staying anywhere else in Ipswich. Without doubt the staff work very hard to make guests' stay the best they can. The hotel is being refurbished and it is unfair to criticise them for making improvements as I see some guests have done.
The facilities are good and the surroundings lovely, tucked away in beautiful grounds. Having stayed at numerous different hotels all over the country and abroad I can safely say that the Belstead's breakfast is the best I have had and the quality of food at other times is excellent.
If you are looking for a hotel which cares about providing the best for its guests then the Belstead is the place to go. Nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your complimentary review about the facilities and services we provide and in particular about our breakfasts. It is always good to know when these are appreciated and we look forward to continuing to welcome you to the hotel.
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Upon arrival to the hotel I was impressed with the grounds and the building. Check in was easy and quick and the staff were quite helpful.
Our room was on the ground floor and was not what I expected really for this level of hotel.
The room was a decent size and well positioned facing the back of the hotel which was good for noise levels and privacy etc.
The bed was not very comfortable at all really, although I did have quite a peaceful nights sleep.
The bathroom needs A LOT of updating. The toilet flush was ill positioned and didn't work properly, the bath and shower taps were really manky with mold and mildew and just generally needed replacing and a bit of a spruce up. The water pressure was better than expected and really hot.
Breakfast was good, but at £7.50 tray charge per tray for room service - a bit pricey !
Didn't use any of the facilities although they looked rather pleasant.
I would possibly consider staying here again should I be in the Ipswich area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed many aspects of the services and facilities we provided and am grateful to your for your constructive comments about other aspects of your stay. We are aware of the need for works to be completed, particularly in the bathrooms and are hopeful that these will commence in the New Year. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Seckford Hall
#3 of 4 in Woodbridge
Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf & Spa
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham

Been to Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!