“staff remain a star feature of this hotel”

Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Oxford, United Kingdom
“staff remain a star feature of this hotel”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Since my last visit to this hotel little has changed in respect of maintenance. It really does need some upgrading now. However if you like a building that may be scruffy in parts but more than makes up with lovely staff this could still be the hotel for you. The remarks i made in previous reviews still stand. The leisure centre is still one of my favourites in the area and the food remains imaginative and of a good standard. Breakfasts can be a little chaotic and am i the only person who hates having a miniature waste bin on the table at breakfast?

Room Tip: pay more and have a garden roomm - quiet and more spacious, but pack an unbrella as you have to walk...
1 Thank petosse-ann
GMBBI, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for your complimentary comments concerning the team, the leisure facilities and the food. It is good to know when we get things right. On your next visit, please don’t hesitate to ask a team member to remove the container from your breakfast table. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Chris Holden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We have now visited the Belstead Brook not less than 6 times. On each occasion the food has been of a very high quality. The staff are friendly and helpful and clearly know what they are doing.
The bedrooms and other parts of the hotel may well be a bit tired, but is clean and tidy.
Having the use of the spa is a fantastic benefit.
Will hopefully be visiting again in early July

Room Tip: Try for a room 1st/2nd floor overlooking gardens at he back
1 Thank billsue95
GMBBI, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Thank you for posting your review. We are delighted to learn that you are are happy with the hotel and the services the team provide for you, and thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the Summer.

A Sunny Island
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed one night as part of my birthday weekend and wished could have stayed longer. Our room was at the end of the corridor overlooking the garden on the ground floor (there is a lift to other floors). On check in the receptionist wasn't particularly helpful, ie asked to fill in the registration form and asked if we would like to book a table for dinner (I said would like to see what's on the menu then would decide - being a Sunday it was a very limited menu, apparently not the usual menu and as I don't eat meat there wasn't much choice so we ate out & being a birthday meal wanted something nice and special), no indication from the receptionist as to where the bedroom was or what time breakfast was, etc and was not asked if we wanted newspapers.

The room itself was a family room, very large had a comfortable kingsize bed (good night's sleep) and a single bed. Lighting was very good and the window opened fully, but during the night used a fan, just in case of foxes in the area. There was also an iron, ironing board, trouser press and kettle in the room), two chairs and a table. TV (not flat screen) picture not great, but probably due to being surrounded by a lot of trees. As it was my birthday a lovely card and 4 mini chocolates with compliments from the hotel, nice gesture. The bathroom was a good size with a bathroom fixed head shower over the bath (lots of hot water), complimentary soap, bath oil and soap. The room had a view of the garden and the stream, very nice.

The prices for drinks in the bar were very reasonable, we had one coke from the pump (as they had run out of bottled coke) and an Appletizer and it was £3.00.

Breakfast was in the Manor Restaurant (as far as I am aware this is the only restaurant), old with character but comfortable seating. There was a buffet for toast, fruit, pastries and the cooked breakfast was served. The OH had the works (sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, black pudding, mushrooms, beans and saute potatoes) and I had the scrambled egg, vegetarian sausages and tomato all nicely presented and served hot like it should be. There was just one waitress on and she seemed to be rushing around to take hot food orders, serve tea and coffee and to bring the breakfasts. Breakfast is served between 7 am and 9 am.

Leisure club we didn't get to use the leisure facilities, but there was a good size pool, seperate children's pool and a large jacuzzi, also steam and sauna rooms. Towels and token for the locker available from reception

Free car parking.

Would we stay here again? Yes most certainly if we were visiting Ipswich or the surrounding area we would stay at this hotel again.

We paid £55 for one nights B & B for 2 adults.

Room Tip: room overlooking garden (other rooms I think probably overlook the car park)
2 Thank quillingartist
GMBBI, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and you found the facilities and majority of services to your satisfaction. We hope to upgrade the TV's in the bedrooms in the near future. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the area.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Lovely hotel in a beautiful location - highly recommended for a relaxing getaway; spent a long weekend there with a friend and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The room was cute, clean and quiet and the staff were very helpful and accomodated all our requests, including morning papers. The spa facilities were better than we had expected - very spacious, we basically had the spa areas to ourselves when we went, and the hotel grounds were quiet and inviting. We had an evening meal at the restaurant which was very decent as well.

The only point of criticism concerns the breakfast, and in particular the coffee. This was instant and very weak but I am fussy with my coffee and the staff did their best to make it stronger to accomodate us. The vegetarian breakfast options were also limited but overall the variety was good.

Definitely recommend the place: good facilities, very helpful staff and lovely setting. Only downside was the coffee :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the hotel and the facilities and services were to your satisfaction. I was sorry to learn that you were not impressed by the coffee. Please rest assured that fresh filer coffee should be provided at all times. The only times we use instant coffee is if guests request it or have a preference for decaffeinated coffee. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I went with my daughter and 2 young children for half term. Family room was large and certainly big enough for all. The children loved the swimming pool but my only one concern was with the changing room facilities. They could certainly do with some love and attention. However the highlight of our stay was in the restaurant at night. The choice was enough to satisfy the children and my daughter who is a vegetarian and me as I love to experiment. The service was great as by the time it came to dessert my grandchildren were tired so the final course was brought to our room for us. Congratulations to all the restaurant staff. If I lived near enough I would definitely go back for a nice meal out.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Karen I
GMBBI, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for your review and your complimentary comments, particularly those concerning your dining experiences with us. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the services we provided. We are hopeful that refurbishment works will be starting shortly in the leisure club changing rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on some future occasion.

Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times. The second time was for my boyfriends birthday. When ringing ahead to arrange a bottle of Champagne in the room we were given an instant free upgrade which was great. On arrival to our upgraded room they had added a birthday card and chocolates to the bubbly which I thought was a lovely touch. The rooms are comfortable. The food is excellent value (bread & budder pudding reccomended!). Staff are very helpful and friendly. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
GMBBI, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you were satisfied with the services we provided on your return visit, and for your complimentary comments concerning the food and the services we provided. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Chtris Holden
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Booked a two night stay at Belstead Brook hotel to take my partner away for a couple of days as she worked away for valentines. Wanted to stay local and never stayed at the Belstead Brook hotel before. I was attracted to the "wine and dine" for February and March and clicked the link on the website. Before checking out I decided to upgrade the room to an executive double as it was a small treat. I also booked a table for the two nights so we did not have to worry about travelling.

However when we sat down for our first meal I enquired as to where out bottle of wine was. I was told by staff there was nothing in the notes so therefore could not have it. I did not make a fuss as I thought I would check this upon checking out.

Upon checking out and querying this it would seem because I upgraded my room and paid MORE, that I did not qualify for the free wine. I found this to be totally inflexible and after emails back and forth I have decided not to go back.

I might be wrong here although I do not feel I am, more than anything I wanted to forewarn any of those considering Belstead to think again or get something in writing from them when it comes to offers.

The silly thing is we were also checking the place out for a potential wedding venue and the inflexibility above has helped me decide this is not the place for us.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James C
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not think the upgraded room was worth the extra you paid and for the confusions concerning the rate you had made your reservation on.

Chris Holden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
#11 of 18 in Ipswich
Seckford Hall
Seckford Hall
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge

Been to Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel? Share your experiences!