“5 star menu and food in the restaurant”

Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
London, England, United Kingdom
“5 star menu and food in the restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

I went with my daughter and 2 young children for half term. Family room was large and certainly big enough for all. The children loved the swimming pool but my only one concern was with the changing room facilities. They could certainly do with some love and attention. However the highlight of our stay was in the restaurant at night. The choice was enough to satisfy the children and my daughter who is a vegetarian and me as I love to experiment. The service was great as by the time it came to dessert my grandchildren were tired so the final course was brought to our room for us. Congratulations to all the restaurant staff. If I lived near enough I would definitely go back for a nice meal out.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Karen I
GMBBI, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for your review and your complimentary comments, particularly those concerning your dining experiences with us. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the services we provided. We are hopeful that refurbishment works will be starting shortly in the leisure club changing rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on some future occasion.

Chris Holden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times. The second time was for my boyfriends birthday. When ringing ahead to arrange a bottle of Champagne in the room we were given an instant free upgrade which was great. On arrival to our upgraded room they had added a birthday card and chocolates to the bubbly which I thought was a lovely touch. The rooms are comfortable. The food is excellent value (bread & budder pudding reccomended!). Staff are very helpful and friendly. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
GMBBI, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you were satisfied with the services we provided on your return visit, and for your complimentary comments concerning the food and the services we provided. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Chtris Holden
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Booked a two night stay at Belstead Brook hotel to take my partner away for a couple of days as she worked away for valentines. Wanted to stay local and never stayed at the Belstead Brook hotel before. I was attracted to the "wine and dine" for February and March and clicked the link on the website. Before checking out I decided to upgrade the room to an executive double as it was a small treat. I also booked a table for the two nights so we did not have to worry about travelling.

However when we sat down for our first meal I enquired as to where out bottle of wine was. I was told by staff there was nothing in the notes so therefore could not have it. I did not make a fuss as I thought I would check this upon checking out.

Upon checking out and querying this it would seem because I upgraded my room and paid MORE, that I did not qualify for the free wine. I found this to be totally inflexible and after emails back and forth I have decided not to go back.

I might be wrong here although I do not feel I am, more than anything I wanted to forewarn any of those considering Belstead to think again or get something in writing from them when it comes to offers.

The silly thing is we were also checking the place out for a potential wedding venue and the inflexibility above has helped me decide this is not the place for us.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James C
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not think the upgraded room was worth the extra you paid and for the confusions concerning the rate you had made your reservation on.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Have visited many times over the last few years and have never found a problem. Staff are very polite and helpful, especially Thalia and her restaurant staff. The food is outstanding in taste and value and you can burn it off in the swimming pool or gym.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LODWICKS
GMBBI, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you posting your review. Your kind comments have been passed on to Thalia and her team, and are much appreciated. It is good to know when we get things right. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

Just returned from a four day break.

Well signposted and although you reach the hotel via a large residential area, so what!

First impressions were of a nice place and looked really peaceful.

Receptionist on arrival seemed rather disinterested and then we were approached by a lady who was looking after the restaurant. Whilst initially somewhat brusque she soon proved to be extremely caring and very hard working, thereby providing us with a good first impression.

Restaurant for both evening meal and breakfast was excellent, with very good food and efficient service throughout.

Swimming pool and gym a nice bonus with quite a few guests appearing to spend quite a long time in attendance.

Car park fine and bar service ok. Prices reasonable.

One negative, one of our party, had the Belstead Burger by way of a bar meal. Not cooked!
In fairness the barman/waiter asked me if i had enjoyed the meals and when i advised him of the burger situation he said i should have brought it to his attention and he would have dealt with it! Unfortunately having been the recipient of the unfortunate item this was never going to be re-ordered!

In summary we were pleased with the 'value for money' aspect and whilst some of the internal aspects of the building are showing signs of wear this did not bother us as we felt it was clean and cosy.

Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TheAssessor
GMBBI, Public Relations Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel and our services following your recent stay with us. We were delighted to learn that you found the facilities and the majority of services to your satisfaction. Any feedback we receive, both positive and negative, is discussed with the team to ensure we attempt to improve any shortfalls in our operation. Your comments have been very useful to us. Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

We had a fantastic weekend, 27 - 29th January at the Belstead Brook Hotel. The staff were welcoming and attentive. The pool was really good and we made the most of the jacuzzi. Our two evening meals were excellent and they must have known two of my favourite vegetables are mange tout and red cabbage! It was my birthday break and a card and chocolates awaited us in the bedroom - a nice touch.

The hotel had a problem with the hot water and central heating on the morning of the 29th but I improvised and it didn't spoil our visit and the hotel automatically took £20 off the bill when we checked out to compensate us for the problem.

We couldn't have wanted anymore from the hotel and would thoroughly recommend it for the food and the staff attitude.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden and brook have a better view and are probably quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarolynBedford
GMBBI, General Manager at Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thank you for posting your review and the positive recommendations. We were delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your weekend break with us, and that you found the services and facilities to your satisfaction. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

Visited last year when I thought it needed a facelift. Stayed here again the following Christmas because of the proximity to family and it still needs a facelift. It has attractive reception rooms, expecially the historic panelled dining room, but the bedrooms and bathrooms are looking like they need a bit of TLC. That said, the breakfast was good and the bedroom was comfortable. I'm just hoping they update it before I have to visit next Christmas.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loopy101
Thank you for your review. We do recognize that works are required in parts of the hotel, but we have no immediate plans to do so. We will however continue to provide quality services to our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Chris Holden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Novotel Ipswich
Novotel Ipswich
#4 of 18 in Ipswich

Been to Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!