“Excellent hotel”

Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed August 9, 2010

My first visit to Ipswich was made exceptional by the hotel. The staff were all courteous and helpful and food very good. Will stay again when visiting Ipswich.

• Stayed: August 2010
There are newer reviews for Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my family in July, as we were going to a family wedding in Ipswich. The hotel was in a stunning location and we had fab views overlooking the harbour. The rooms were really well decorated and the beds were very comfy. The rooms were also big and had everything that we needed apart from air conditioning (note to owner, the rooms get very very hot at night).
What stood out at this hotel, however, was the friendly service of the staff.
Nothing was too much trouble for them from when we arrived to when we left. My husband is allergic to feathers so when we phoned reception late on the Friday evening to ask for a change of pillows, the pillows arrived with a smile within minutes.
Unfortunately my stepdaughter fell ill while we were there and had to stay at the hotel instead of coming to the wedding with us. The staff looked after her above and beyond the call of duty and for this I am very grateful.
The food in the hotel was of a good standard and so all in all I would say that we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Booking a birthday weekend break, my partner and I spent weeks searching for the right hotel. We settled on the Salthouse following the brilliant reviews, well appointed rooms and good restaurant. When trying to book I phoned reservations who quoted me £30 more for a standard room than their own website! When this was queried the agent explained that this was because the website was quoting per person... it wasn't when I proceeded with the booking online.

Furthermore, the agent told me that if I booked with her (and the higher rate) she could allocate me a room with a marina view although I wasn't being charged a premium for this. When I asked if I could request this online I was told they were unable to allocate any rooms until the day of your stay. Very very confusing!!!!

Following a brief chat with the receptionist, who kindly told me the rooms available with marina views I booked online requesting one of these, however, when I booked dinner was told that you have to pay more for such a room! Confusing and frustrated!

I am still looking forward to my stay this weekend, however, there needs to be much more clarity around rates and room allocation, this hotel is reported to offer good value for money... not if you phone to book! I will report back following my stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DSL87
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I wanted to find a good hotel in Suffolk, within easy distance of the Suffolk coastline (Aldeburgh, Southwold, etc), so after a bit of searching, came across the Salthouse Harbour Hotel. Having read the reviews on here, I decided to give it a try - staying for a Saturday night in July 2010.

Checked in around 6pm on the Saturday, and was provided with parking in the complimentary car park next to the hotel. The Reception staff were professional and courteous, and checking in was a breeze.

Our room on the 5th floor was lovely - a Salthouse Room, lovely standard of decor, immaculately clean and maintained, with a small balcony giving side views over the harbour. Bed was very comfy, everything worked, and felt totally relaxing. Only downside was that there was no air-con, and leaving the balcony door open all night was a no-no due to the noisy bar next door (which closes at midnight), but it wasn't an issue for us.

We had dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night - the restaurant space was lovely, the food was excellent (good value and fresh/tasty), and the service from the staff was very good - very attentive without being OTT.

We also enjoyed breakfast on the Sunday morning. This was the only downside of the stay - we had the Suffolk breakfast, and most of it was a bit overcooked/dry, but given we actually sat down 5 minutes after they officially stopped serving breakfast, we weren't too bothered.

Overall I was very impressed with the hotel. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated - lots of lovely individual/quirky items dotted around making it very stylish and comtemporary. The staff were very helpful, and made the stay totally relaxing. And the location is lovely too. A great place to stay if you're heading up to Suffolk.

1  Thank kobebryantLDN
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We arrived at 12 noon and were told the check in time was 2.00pm. Fair enough except that we were part of a wedding party and the rooms had been booked on condition that access would be from noon. The receptionist, who knew nothing about this, made a telephone call and said the room would be ready in 10 mins. After 20 mins sitting in reception wondering how the bride and groom would feel if we arrived at the wedding in t shirt and jeans I asked her what was happening. She looked blank, then made another call. 'Oh yes, your room is ready.' Why couldn't she have told us that earlier?
At breakfast the following morning we were given a menu and then sat for ages as the waiting staff managed deftly to avoid our eye. We did eventually get breakfast but it really wasn't worth the effort- charred bacon, half a tomato, bready sausage. Just because something's sourced locally, doesn't mean it's any good.
The bedroom was nice with a little balcony overlooking the river but the taps in the bathroom were impossible to turn, especially with wet hands- a case of style over substance if ever there was one.
The artworks in the public rooms were amazing- there was a sub- Damien Hirst, a sub-Jackson Pollack, a sub-Giacommetti and lots of other subs. And when I say 'sub' I mean it- have seen similar things hanging on the railings on the Bayswater Rd.
This may be considered the best hotel in Ipswich and I don't want to be mean to Ipswich as I think it's a lovely little town but what's considered sophisticated here may not be elsewhere.
Strip out the public rooms, train up the staff and this place may be worth the money. It's definitely not at the moment.

1  Thank Annebailes
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Given that the competition for the title of best hotel in ipswich is not necessarily that high, this may seem like damning with faint praise, however my state that the salt house Harbour hotel was a revelation. The quirky modern design, beautifully appointed rooms with a good views over ipswich marina and a very good restaurant inside the hotel made this a real pleasure to stay. Huge double beds, crisp linen equals a very good night's sleep.

If I was being picky, I would say that the service in the restaurant both at dinner and breakfast was either much too fast (with a main course following 30 seconds after the plates had been cleared from our starter), or a little too slow when trying to catch the eye of the waiter. However, this does not colour my opinion of this is a very fine provincial hotel.

1  Thank hothastings
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Very well presented accommodation, thoughtfully equipped to a high standard. The first impression was also very good because of the very efficient yet friendly staff.
The car park was a little tight but this was compensated for by the very helpful attendant,who also provided a large measure of security.
There was some noise from the very lively bar next door ( we occupied a room very close to it), however this ended at a reasonable time and thanks to double glazing did not greatly affect us.
Overall a thoroughly enjoyable stay, well recommended.

1  Thank TrackersouthWales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
pentahotel Ipswich
#3 of 18 in Ipswich
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to Salthouse Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!