“A Waterfront Delight” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Haverhill, United Kingdom
“A Waterfront Delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

We stayed here largely on the strength of all the positive reviews this hotel has been given by Trip Advisor contributors and we are delighted to agree with all the nice things folk have said about the place. The 43 room hotel is a conversion from an old dock warehouse, so has character. It is positioned overlooking the picturesque marina, a regeneration area with trendy new flats – sorry – apartments; the area has a nice feel to it.

Inside is a small reception area with the restaurant to the left and a corridor leading to stairs and a lift to the accommodation above. We were in one of their ordinary rooms and that is of a good standard, is spacious and is well equipped. Dressing gowns and some toiletries are provided. We had a waterfront view, not all rooms have this. The double bed was firm and comfortable, although I’d have preferred one about a foot bigger in width. A shaving mirror would be an improvement and staff say they are getting them in response to customer suggestions.

I would strongly recommend eating in the restaurant; the menu and dishes are intelligently thought out and the food skilfully prepared. In the morning, the restaurant serves breakfast, there’s a menu for that which we found pretty comprehensive.

All the staff are efficient, faultlessly helpful and very friendly.

Finding the hotel: As you drive along Fore St, Ipswich (B1156) east to west, it’s one way after Grimwade St, keep to the left hand lane and drive slowly, the turning to the hotel car park is on the left and you get very little warning. The car park is quite small for the number of customers on very busy nights, so if you arrive late, you may find a few problems. The entrance faces the marina.

• Liked — Most things
  • Disliked — Smallish double bed
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northern England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

I do quite a bit of travelling and usually my company's travel section books me into one of the usual chain hotels. For this visit to Ipswich however my colleague and I read Tripadvisor and saw the good reviews for the Salthouse Harbour Hotel and booked it. The rate was about the same as a good chain, but the standard is far better. Missed the entrance the first time round Ipswich's one way system but then found it. Sufficient parking outside the hotel, and was warmly welcomed by the reception staff. The rooms we had were well furnished in a contemporary style and were very clean. The hotel was very nice and warm despite it being icy outside. My room had a separate bath and shower, and the water pressure in the shower was brilliant. Whilst the room didn't have an iron or trouser press I am sure one would be available had I asked, it was well appointed with large desk, TV, tea, coffee, biscuits and heated radiator towel. The bed was extremely comfortable and had 4 pillows and 4 cushions. All in all a very comfortable room which, despite being by the lift, was extremely quiet. Food in the restaurant was very good - the menu is not extensive, but it is printed daily, and has a nice selection of fish, meat, chicken and other options. I went for the Rib Eye steak as the main course, and it was one of the best I have eaten in the UK. The wine menu is good - some cheaper bottles but I opted for a mid-priced Shiraz and that was excellent. There is a nicely refurbished bar next door (Issacs) and the hotel itself has excellent views over Ipswich marina. Breakfast service was very fast and is an 'at table' service rather than the standard buffet meal.

I will definitely be staying there again and highly recommend it for business travellers who want comfort and style at a good value price.

• Liked — Clean and excellent value
  • Disliked — N/a
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

I stayed here on 30th January 2009 as a single occupant in a double room. I was allocated a room on the 5th floor. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was huge and had a seperate bath and shower, which is always nice.
A good selection of toiletries and towels were available in the bathroom also, with the hair dryer being stored in the wardrobe.
The room decor was quite infitting with the area I thought, especially the door style.
There are 3 clear areas to the bedroom: the bed, the office and the lounge. This works very well in the room, but would be a problem during summer I think when the sun is setting if you were working at your desk with a laptop.
I ordered room service just after I checked in, which was done to a good standard and the receptionist was very friendly. The room service order was dealt with professionally, although they didn't have a chef working during the afternoon. I just ordered a sandwich, which took a reasonable 15 minutes to arrive at my door.
Later on, the attendant came to my door to see if I needed any more tea, coffee etc and was very professional and friendly as well.
I booked a table in the restaurant, which has 2 AA rosettes, so I was expecting excellent food with excellent service.
The food was to an amazing standard and the chefs obviously know what they're doing. Starter, main and dessert were all excellent, though the cheesecake could have done with setting a bit longer perhaps. The service in the restaurant isn't quite what I expect from a rosette restaurant, but was to a good standard compared to some places. Some tips might be to get the staff to crumb before laying dessert cutlery, use trays/plates to carry cutlery etc.
The bed was quite comfortable, although I didn't sleep that well, but that is more than likely due to my nerves for the next day.
I had room service breakfast as I was in a rush. The full english was to a very good standard and the make of the preserves and sauces were very good.
Taking this into account, £114 for a DBB deal for one person for one night is actually quite reasonable. The rooms are immaculately clean, even in the places some housekeepers forget about! The staff are very friendly and it shows that a young team can perform as well as any other.
If I am in the area again, I would certainly consider staying there again.

• Liked — Good general service from most staff
  • Disliked — Lack of certain attention to detail in restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

We chose the Salthouse Hotel for a weekend break after reading a review in Suffolk Magazine.

Our room was very clean and tidy and well presented, very modern but also a relaxing atmosphere. The staff were helpful right from stepping in to the hotel to leaving.

Although we did not choose to dine in the hotel restaurant, other guests we spoke to recommended it. The breakfast menu was fantastic and catered for all tastes. I would go as far as saying that it was the best cooked breakfast I have had in a hotel for a long time.

The hotel is situated right at the centre of the new harbour development in Ipswich, and is surrounded by some superb bars and bistros.

If there was only one negative thing I could say about the Salthouse, it is that the guest parking area is very small and many guests had to double park. Although not secured parking, the hotel does have a number of CCTV cameras located in the car park.

I would certainly stay again.

• Liked — Friendly staff and atmosphere
  • Disliked — tight parking
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

my partner and i decided to take advantage of having a free weekend in december and decided to get some christmas shopping done in ipswich, and had heard good things about this little hotel
despite getting lost on the way we found the hotel fairly well and were greeted by a polite and friendly reception team, clear directions to our room and plenty of knowledge of how to spend our money in the town
the room: simply breathtaking views over a stunning marina we paid a little more for a front facing room and were so glad we did,
we booked a table for dinner and despite the restaurant looking fairly busy already, were met and directed to a table along the wall, and presented menus, our order was taken by a charming young lady and within what seemed like minutes we had homemeade bread and our starters, both of which were superb, a small delay which was welcome and our main courses arrived roast goose and fillet of cod, very tasty , my wife decided we should share a sticky toffee pudding and im glad she did as it was just right.
the nights sleep was only interupted by the need for breakfast, havent slept so well for months.
breakfast was very nice and with a full english breakfast inside us we headed into town
we'd recomend this hotel to couples and anyone wanting to treat the other half

• Liked — very comfy bed, stunning room
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2008

My wife & I stayed here from 31st October to 4th November.
All the staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The room was very clean and well appointed except for the lack of drawers but there is a shelf unit in the wardrobe.
The bed was slightly hard but not enough to prevent a good nights's sleep.
The shower was one of the most powerful I've ever experienced, truly invigorating and a real wake-up call.
We ate in the restaurant every night because the food & wine were varied and reasonable value. With an emphasis on local produce the steaks were some of the tastiest we've ever eaten.
The breakfasts were exceptional. We will definitely use the hotel again if we return to the area which we hope to do.

• Disliked — The Ipswich one way system, not the hotel's fault!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

This was a really nice hotel, much nicer than I'd expected for the city centre of Ipswich. We got a better rate by ringing to book than was advertised on the website, so I'd advise checking that out.

The service was really excellent - especially late at night, when the bar was kept open late for us.

Stayed September 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Hintlesham Hall
Hintlesham Hall
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham
Premier Inn Ipswich Town Centre (Quayside) Hotel

Been to Salthouse Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!