We stayed here largely on the strength of all the positive reviews this hotel has been given by Trip Advisor contributors and we are delighted to agree with all the nice things folk have said about the place. The 43 room hotel is a conversion from an old dock warehouse, so has character. It is positioned overlooking the picturesque marina, a regeneration area with trendy new flats – sorry – apartments; the area has a nice feel to it.
Inside is a small reception area with the restaurant to the left and a corridor leading to stairs and a lift to the accommodation above. We were in one of their ordinary rooms and that is of a good standard, is spacious and is well equipped. Dressing gowns and some toiletries are provided. We had a waterfront view, not all rooms have this. The double bed was firm and comfortable, although I’d have preferred one about a foot bigger in width. A shaving mirror would be an improvement and staff say they are getting them in response to customer suggestions.
I would strongly recommend eating in the restaurant; the menu and dishes are intelligently thought out and the food skilfully prepared. In the morning, the restaurant serves breakfast, there’s a menu for that which we found pretty comprehensive.
All the staff are efficient, faultlessly helpful and very friendly.
Finding the hotel: As you drive along Fore St, Ipswich (B1156) east to west, it’s one way after Grimwade St, keep to the left hand lane and drive slowly, the turning to the hotel car park is on the left and you get very little warning. The car park is quite small for the number of customers on very busy nights, so if you arrive late, you may find a few problems. The entrance faces the marina.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This artfully designed boutique Hotel and Restaurant in Suffolk reflects luxury and dazzles in the waterfront of Ipswich's vibrant Harbour quayside at night. The Salthouse Harbour Hotel goes beyond what you expect and exudes its 4 star status in every curious corner, eccentric sofa and unstuffy cushion. The sea-salted brickwork exterior has been restored & rejuvenated into a ship shape contemporary warehouse of rich modern interiors and rooms adorned with vintage furniture, sculptures and eclectic art. Within its comfy chic decor, although the mood is friendly and relaxed, the staff are professionally attentive to your every need. The cuisine is exciting and the popularity of the Salthouse Eaterie fills this delightful waterfront restaurant as soon as the tables are laid. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Agoda and Hotel.de so you can book your Salthouse Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Salthouse Harbour Ipswich
- Hotel Salthouse Harbour
- Salthouse Harbour Hotel Ipswich, Suffolk